• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran Cuts Nuclear Stockpile, IAEA Says

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Iran cuts nuclear stockpile, IAEA says | Al Jazeera America

IRAN CUTS NUCLEAR STOCKPILE, IAEA SAYS
HEINZ-PETER BADER / REUTERS

May 23, 2014 6:21PM ET
Iran has neutralized most of its stockpile of higher-grade enriched uranium that could be turned quickly into the core of a nuclear weapon, the U.N. nuclear agency said Friday, leaving the country with only about a fifth of what it would need for such a purpose.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in a in a quarterly report that Iran now has less than 90 pounds of the material.

The report also said Tehran was meeting all other obligations under an agreement reached four months ago in Geneva that serves as a prelude to a comprehensive deal now being negotiated.

The findings are likely to be welcomed by the six powers trying to negotiate an end to the decade-old dispute over Iran's nuclear program. Iran has consistently denied any interest in obtaining atomic weapons, saying it is only interested in civilian nuclear power, something allowed under the terms of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Looks like diplomacy is working quite well. McCain probably haz a sad.

Thanks, Obama!

Why doesn't Iran get any credit for this?? Suspicious.

No one says Iran DOESNT get credit, of course.

Sorry Three. My point was that there's plenty of criticism of Iran around here, then you put up a post like this and get zero responses!

Sorry Three. My point was that there's plenty of criticism of Iran around here, then you put up a post like this and get zero responses!

Well, that might be because no one likes to hear good news, especially when it deprives them a chance to dump on the President.

Well, that might be because no one likes to hear good news, especially when it deprives them a chance to dump on the President.

When the Iranian government is more cooperative than the GOP, it is difficult for them to point at the president.

Why doesn't Iran get any credit for this?? Suspicious.

Because Neocons love it when the masses are afraid of Iran...it allows them to justify maintaining the U.S. Empire and the military industrial complex.

Because Neocons love it when the masses are afraid of Iran...it allows them to justify maintaining the U.S. Empire and the military industrial complex.

Yeah, you're right, it was a rhetorical question.

Iran has neutralized most of its stockpile of higher-grade enriched uranium that could be turned quickly into the core of a nuclear weapon, the U.N. nuclear agency said Friday, leaving the country with only about a fifth of what it would need for such a purpose.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in a in a quarterly report that Iran now has less than 90 pounds of the material.

The report also said Tehran was meeting all other obligations under an agreement reached four months ago in Geneva that serves as a prelude to a comprehensive deal now being negotiated.

The findings are likely to be welcomed by the six powers trying to negotiate an end to the decade-old dispute over Iran's nuclear program. Iran has consistently denied any interest in obtaining atomic weapons, saying it is only interested in civilian nuclear power, something allowed under the terms of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Thanks, Obama!

Now wait a minute.

I thought Iran Nuclear ambitions were for peaceful purposes only ? You know, for their new power plants.

Something tells me they're pulling the wool over the eyes of anyone who's willing to be manipulated.

It's an IAEA report, not Iran's word on the deal.

It's an IAEA report, not Iran's word on the deal.

Wait, are you saying that a Nation who had been lying for years about their intended purposes for Uranium enrichment is somehow trustworthy to the point of giving the IAEA complete access to ALL nuclear stockpiles ?

Because I'm not naive enough to think that Iran would do such a thing.

Wait, are you saying that a Nation who had been lying for years about their intended purposes for Uranium enrichment is somehow trustworthy to the point of giving the IAEA complete access to ALL nuclear stockpiles ?

There is no standard of evidence that would convince you, so I'm not really sure what there is to talk about.

Now wait a minute.

I thought Iran Nuclear ambitions were for peaceful purposes only ? You know, for their new power plants.

Something tells me they're pulling the wool over the eyes of anyone who's willing to be manipulated.

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with nuclear weapons.

Who cares? You cannot have an effective nuclear weapon without a lot of electronics. We have EMP system that would knock out anything without a problem. If you doubt this you have a major lack of understands relative to propulsion systems.

Who cares? You cannot have an effective nuclear weapon without a lot of electronics. We have EMP system that would knock out anything without a problem. If you doubt this you have a major lack of understands relative to propulsion systems.

Oh Really ??

Do just a bit of research on the operation of the two fission devices dropped on Japan.

Very simple devices.

Now if you're talking about FUSION devices thats entirely different.

Yes Fusion weapons are highly technical and are difficult and costly to maintain considering the short half lifes of the two Hydrogen isotopes that make thermal two stage Fusion weapons work.

The trigger of a Fusion ( Hydrogen ) Bomb IS a Fission Bomb.

Just like the Hiroshima weapon.

The massive amount of energy derived from the trigger element is what starts the FUSION process of the two Hydrogen isotopes Tritium and deuterium into Helium-3.

First, It doesn't concern me if Iran were to be seeking nuclear weapons, a few countries in their region have them and it makes a good deterrent. Secondly, the IAEA report doesn't complain about access problems.

Thanks, Obama!

The fear has always been that a latent Iranian enrichment capability will lead either to a latent nuclear capability or outright nuclear status. The eradication of stockpiles of HEU is something that will temporarily ease concerns but given the totality of the Iranian nuclear program it is only a small part of the picture. This is why the news from the negotiations has been so mixed there are certain fundamental impasses that we haven't been able to overcome yet as it relates to Iran's demands for indigenous enrichment capability and monitoring.

If you read Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif's OpEd you'll get a snippet of these concerns as well as what amounts to a declaration that Iran has reached a stage of latent nuclear capability which is a cause for deep concern in the West and why I think you will probably see this deal fall through and the sanctions regime tightened.

"As we approach 2015, the outcome of past maximalism and obsession with sanctions is clearly evident. In the past 10 years, Iran has gone from 200 to 20,000 centrifuges, our enrichment capacity has risen from 3.5 to 20 percent and the Arak heavy-water research reactor is less than a year from being commissioned.

Nobody can rewind the clock. Sacrifices have been made. Capabilities are vastly different. Knowledge and expertise have been attained. None of this can be wished or negotiated away."

The Six Powers are not going to accept a deal that allows Iran to retain those gains, Iran does not seem willing to part with them.
Mohammad Javad Zarif: Iran is committed to a peaceful nuclear program - The Washington Post

Now wait a minute.

And since they obviously lied about their intentions, we can assume they're lying about reducing their stockpile.

If I were Iran, I would probably want nuclear weapons. Politicians openly advocate for dropping bombs on them, and even when they do the right thing, no one believes them.

And since they obviously lied about their intentions, we can assume they're lying about reducing their stockpile.

Again, this is an IAEA report, not just Iran's word on it.

if i were iran, i would probably want nuclear weapons. Politicians openly advocate for dropping bombs on them, and even when they do the right thing, no one believes them.

exactly.

Back
Top Bottom