• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
The headline spins it just a bit, Obama's numbers are actually a bit worse even. :) If it looks like a lame duck, walks like a lame duck, quacks like a lame duck......:lol:

"In fact, Bush comes out one point ahead, 40 percent to 39 percent, respectively.The Gallup daily tracking poll for November 5[SUP]th[/SUP] 2013 puts Obama’s approval at 39 percent, with 53 percent disapproving of his job performance.
By comparison, polling for the first week of November in 2005 had Bush’s approval at 40 percent, with 55 percent disapproving of his job performance.
And the negative comparison to Bush’s numbers is potentially worse for Obama than just a tough headline.
As former Bush adviser Matthew Dowd said on ABC’s “This Week,” the real damage lies in the fact that historically low approval numbers often constrain a president’s ability to rebound with the public.
“I think what you have right now is you talked about the floor of the president's approval numbers, which are almost exactly where President Bush's were. Every time you establish a new floor, you establish a new ceiling,” Dowd said.
Noting that Bush’s approval free fall “wasn’t all about Katrina,” Dowd said Obama faces a similar assault from multiple fronts.
"The president's problems have been brewing for a while,” Dowd said. “What the Republican circus did was cover up a lot of the president's problems. That circus that went on with the Republicans for a while. And then once that was over, it revealed a deeper problem with the presidency."

Maybe you should stop electing presidents you don't like.

We don't have any choice. The politics business here is run by political parties. They decide who the candidates are, not the public.

The best indicator will be where this country will be when Obama leaves office. GWB took a country with a budget surplus and drove this country to the brink of economic and moral bankruptcy. Obama took over a country in a mess...and hopefully he won't leave it in a mess....time will tell.

The headline spins it just a bit, Obama's numbers are actually a bit worse even. :) If it looks like a lame duck, walks like a lame duck, quacks like a lame duck......:lol:

"In fact, Bush comes out one point ahead, 40 percent to 39 percent, respectively.The Gallup daily tracking poll for November 5[SUP]th[/SUP] 2013 puts Obama’s approval at 39 percent, with 53 percent disapproving of his job performance.
By comparison, polling for the first week of November in 2005 had Bush’s approval at 40 percent, with 55 percent disapproving of his job performance.
And the negative comparison to Bush’s numbers is potentially worse for Obama than just a tough headline.
As former Bush adviser Matthew Dowd said on ABC’s “This Week,” the real damage lies in the fact that historically low approval numbers often constrain a president’s ability to rebound with the public.
“I think what you have right now is you talked about the floor of the president's approval numbers, which are almost exactly where President Bush's were. Every time you establish a new floor, you establish a new ceiling,” Dowd said.
Noting that Bush’s approval free fall “wasn’t all about Katrina,” Dowd said Obama faces a similar assault from multiple fronts.
"The president's problems have been brewing for a while,” Dowd said. “What the Republican circus did was cover up a lot of the president's problems. That circus that went on with the Republicans for a while. And then once that was over, it revealed a deeper problem with the presidency."

And what is congress rated? probably like 15%?

I don't understand how a president could even have such a high approval rating while congress is so low considering our congress is responsible for legislation and spending...

Sure the president has veto power but the congress can still reject a veto..

Given the numbers our society is clearly ignorant to how government works - that or they just enjoy blaming or propping up the wrong people..

I wasn't the biggest fan of Bush but I would take him any day over Obama.

Hell, I'd take a lot of democrats over Obama any day....

The best indicator will be where this country will be when Obama leaves office. GWB took a country with a budget surplus and drove this country to the brink of economic and moral bankruptcy. Obama took over a country in a mess...and hopefully he won't leave it in a mess....time will tell.

He took a mess and is making it worse. It would also not be fair to blame everything on Bush and not recognize that he had to work with a Democrat majority House/Senate for some of his term.

As far as moral bankruptcy goes I don't see how Bush furthered that. I'd say culture is doing that coupled with weak family units.

Last edited:
How did losing 4.4 million jobs at the end of Bush's reign help tax receipts for Obama's budget ?
Got higher budget deficits maybe ?
Not exactly playing it straight .

GOP math, maybe..
Everyone else's math, below 10% for going on years..
Obama is bound to pick up the stench from the GOP House of steaming dung .

As you speak of Obama and the veto, how many has he had?

Bush and Obama's poll numbers tell us very little about how they will be viewed by history. It will be at least twenty or thirty years before they can be fairly evaluated.

Maybe the American voters should stop sending people to the White House who are hated by such a large percentage of the American people.

Lots of people like them or they wouldn't get elected.

The problem is that once they get elected and start doing or not doing things, lots of people don't like them, including some of the people who voted for them.

He took a mess and is making it worse. It would also not be fair to blame everything on Bush and not recognize that he had to work with a Democrat majority House/Senate for some of his term.

As far as moral bankruptcy goes I don't see how Bush furthered that. I'd say culture is doing that coupled with weak family units.

Actually Bush took over a bubble on the verge of the pop.

The best indicator will be where this country will be when Obama leaves office. GWB took a country with a budget surplus and drove this country to the brink of economic and moral bankruptcy.
Obama took over a country in a mess...and hopefully he won't leave it in a mess....time will tell.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the USA will keep heading in the right direction.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I don't understand how a president could even have such a high approval rating while congress is so low considering our congress is responsible for legislation and spending...

Given the numbers our society is clearly ignorant to how government works - that or they just enjoy blaming or propping up the wrong people..

I wasn't the biggest fan of Bush but I would take him any day over Obama.

Hell, I'd take a lot of democrats over Obama any day....

Right now the RealClear Politics poll shows that 6 percent of Americans approve of the job that congress is doing and 73 percent disapprove.

Check it out: RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls

But, did you vote for the previous fool, the one who looks more and more like the current one?

Somebody has to be voting for those guys or they wouldn't end up in the White House with a license to (Possibly.) wreck the USA.

Last edited:
Be warned of Ivy League fools! They can be smart enough to nab the top job.

And that has happened quite a few times in this nation's history.

Maybe we should do away with elections and start selecting our leaders with a lottery.

Somebody has to be voting for those guys or they wouldn't end up in the White House with a license to (Possibly.) wreck the USA.

That's the problem: The office of president keeps getting more and more power, and therefore more and more ability to actually cause damage to the USA. We do still have a Congress, don't we?

more revision--why didn't it pop until just before GWB left ?
Actually Bush took over a bubble on the verge of the pop.

Back
Top Bottom