• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The ruling in is. Chalk another one up for the good guys
Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple - Washington TimesA Colorado judge ruled Friday against a bakery owner who refused to prepare a cake for a gay couple’s wedding reception.

Administrative Law Judge Robert N. Spencer ordered Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, to “cease and desist from discriminating against complainants and other same-sex couples by refusing to sell them wedding cakes or any other product [he] would provide to heterosexual couples.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...scriminated-against-gay-couple/#ixzz2mkYQEwud
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Another ruling that bigotry will no longer be tolerated in America. If this baker is truly concerned about his religious beliefs....perhaps he should start by trying to be more "Christ-like" and try living the principles that Jesus Christ taught.

re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

Gay Equality is something I have advocated and stood up for since my youth, pre-Stonewall.

But I would be very careful about buying edibles from someone who despised me. Indeed, I would not want to benefit them financially, nor would I trust them to not "flavor" my food.

A hollow victory I'm afraid. And a rather weak opponent as well.

Please read my entire post before responding instead of just reacting.

Is sexual-orientation protected in Colorado?

Gay Equality is something I have advocated and stood up for since my youth, pre-Stonewall.

But I would be very careful about buying edibles from someone who despised me. Indeed, I would not want to benefit them financially, nor would I trust them to not "flavor" my food.

A hollow victory I'm afraid. And a rather weak opponent as well.

Please read my entire post before responding instead of just reacting.

I completely understand where you are coming from...but we have to fight bigotry in all cases. The same argument could have been made regarding the lunch counters that refused to serve blacks in the 50-60's. Personally, I wouldn't want to patronize a business that despised me or was bigoted...I wouldn't want to give them any profit. But if the sit-ins hadn't occurred and we allowed bigoted business owners to practice their bigotry....we likely would not have advanced as far as we have in the fight against injustice.

The bigotry lies in forcing someone to go against their beliefs via their private business to provide you with a service for something they believe is wrong.

This goes beyond gay "rights" and gets into bullying through the courts.

I completely understand where you are coming from...but we have to fight bigotry in all cases. The same argument could have been made regarding the lunch counters that refused to serve blacks in the 50-60's. Personally, I wouldn't want to patronize a business that despised me or was bigoted...I wouldn't want to give them any profit. But if the sit-ins hadn't occurred and we allowed bigoted business owners to practice their bigotry....we likely would not have advanced as far as we have in the fight against injustice.

Well, I happen to agree with you. Be careful is all I'm saying.

The bigotry lies in forcing someone to go against their beliefs via their private business to provide you with a service for something they believe is wrong.

Businesses that hold out to the public don't have the same rights as a private individual. Sorry this bothers you.

Was it "bullying" digs...to force bigoted restaurant owners into serving blacks? Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

BTW..Digs......if this baker REALLY wanted to show he was a "Christian" he should start by demonstrating it. Actions speak louder than words. Jesus himself NEVER engaged in bigotry like this guy.

BTW..Digs......if this baker REALLY wanted to show he was a "Christian" he should start by demonstrating it. Actions speak louder than words. Jesus himself NEVER engaged in bigotry like this guy.
Not a bible scholar or anything here, nor even a Christian, but do stand up for other than just gay people's rights...

So, if I remember correctly what I was long ago taught, Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple right? So he was not just for letting sins continue unabated. The idea, perhaps, was love the sinner not the sin... and so, do you genuinely believe that Jesus would he have, as a carpenter, say, built a wedding chapel just for homosexuals? Or be the one that actually wedded them, do you think? I think the bakery folks would/could treat their homosexual customers coming in to buy bread or a doughnut as normal customers just as they would anyone else...but to bake a wedding cake special... in other words help somebody in accomplishing their continued sinning... is that something Jesus would have advocated, do you really think? Truly?

Try your best to be intellectually honest here... that is what Jesus would do, yanno?

The ruling in is. Chalk another one up for the good guys
Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple - Washington TimesA Colorado judge ruled Friday against a bakery owner who refused to prepare a cake for a gay couple’s wedding reception.

Administrative Law Judge Robert N. Spencer ordered Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, to “cease and desist from discriminating against complainants and other same-sex couples by refusing to sell them wedding cakes or any other product [he] would provide to heterosexual couples.”

Read more: Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Another ruling that bigotry will no longer be tolerated in America. If this baker is truly concerned about his religious beliefs....perhaps he should start by trying to be more "Christ-like" and try living the principles that Jesus Christ taught.

So a guy who owns a bakery has to sell to anybody who walks through his door.

Who's this a victory for again?

Not a bible scholar or anything here, nor even a Christian, but do stand up for other than just gay people's rights...

So, if I remember correctly what I was long ago taught, Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple right? So he was not just for letting sins continue unabated. The idea, perhaps, was love the sinner not the sin... and so, do you genuinely believe that Jesus would he have, as a carpenter, say, built a wedding chapel just for homosexuals? Or be the one that actually wedded them, do you think? I think the bakery folks would/could treat their homosexual customers coming in to buy bread or a doughnut as normal customers just as they would anyone else...but to bake a wedding cake special... in other words help somebody in accomplishing their continued sinning... is that something Jesus would have advocated, do you really think? Truly?

Try your best to be intellectually honest here... that is what Jesus would do, yanno?

I think Jesus would be infuriated at anyone promoting bigotry in his name. Anyone who has studied the life of Christ would know that his teachings and beliefs run completely counter to what this Baker did. The idea that baking a cake is "accomplishing their continued sinning", but selling them a donut is ok....is just plain silly.

Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian. Jewish law states that you must follow the law of the land with only 2 exceptions. Murder and Adultery.

Interestingly, over the years, adultery has become no BFD although murder is stil illegal.

So, Jesus would have said "bake the cake and respect the law of the land".

So a guy who owns a bakery has to sell to anybody who walks through his door.

Who's this a victory for again?

Absolutely. If you open you doors to the public, you have to comply with the laws of this country. Do you think it was ok for restaurant owners to refuse to serve blacks because it ran counter to their beliefs?

This is a victory for everyone who stands against bigotry and injustice. A victory for people who truly believe in equality. A victory for people who believe in freedom and justice for all...not just some.

I think Jesus would be infuriated at anyone promoting bigotry in his name. Anyone who has studied the life of Christ would know that his teachings and beliefs run completely counter to what this Baker did. The idea that baking a cake is "accomplishing their continued sinning", but selling them a donut is ok....is just plain silly.
Well, go ahead, explain how it is the same... or different...just saying its silly is ...well, silly.

Well, go ahead, explain how it is the same... or different...just saying its silly is ...well, silly.

How exactly is baking a cake..."acoomplishing their continued sinning"....but selling them a loaf of bread is not? How does a wedding cake "accomplish their continued sinning". You are providing a product...period.

This is a ruling which upholds and embraces the very most sinister bigotry of all.

A person who has moral values is no longer allowed to uphold them, and is forced to submit to forced participation in immorality as a condition of being able to make a living.

As is often demonstrated, here we see that those who most loudly proclaim their opposition to bigotry are, in fact, usually the very worst bigots of all.

How exactly is baking a cake..."acoomplishing [sic] their continued sinning"....but selling them a loaf of bread is not? How does a wedding cake "accomplish their continued sinning". You are providing a product...period.

There's a difference between a morality-neutral product, and a product that is created and sold for the express purpose of promoting immorality.

This is a ruling which upholds and embraces the very most sinister bigotry of all.

A person who has moral values is no longer allowed to uphold them, and is forced to submit to forced participation in immorality as a condition of being able to make a living.

As is often demonstrated, here we see that those who most loudly proclaim their opposition to bigotry are, in fact, usually the very worst bigots of all.

Bigoted racists thought they had superior moral values when they refused to serve blacks....was that ok with you. Were they forced to submit to forced participation in immorality as a condition of being able to make a living?
You sir....have an extreme lack of understanding of bigotry.

Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian. Jewish law states that you must follow the law of the land with only 2 exceptions. Murder and Adultery.

Interestingly, over the years, adultery has become no BFD although murder is stil illegal.

So, Jesus would have said "bake the cake and respect the law of the land".
Ahhh... but we have first amendment religious freedoms here in this land. And, by the Constitution, there cannot be made laws infringing upon that right. Right?

Right.

There's a difference between a morality-neutral product, and a product that is created and sold for the express purpose of promoting immorality.

LOL.....how is a cake sold for the express purpose of promoting immorality. That is a ridiculous assertion. The entire idea that some baked products are "morality neutral" and others are not is simply ludicrous.

Ahhh... but we have first amendment religious freedoms here in this land. And, by the Constitution, there cannot be made laws infringing upon that right. Right?

Right.
All rights/privileges in this country are not absolute. They must still comply with other Constitutional mandates.

How exactly is baking a cake..."acoomplishing their continued sinning"....but selling them a loaf of bread is not? How does a wedding cake "accomplish their continued sinning". You are providing a product...period.
Is the wedding of two gay folk an effort to stop them from sinning, as I think the Christian religion is against the idea, as in a man should not lay with another man...or, rather, is it a confirmation that they will be continuing to sin in that very way?

Right.

Apparently not right. Of course, I'm not a Constitutional scholar. Or a Judge. But as far as I know, that is the law of the land and the Constitutional defense, no doubt brought up by the defendants attorney, did not pass muster.

I don't make these laws. I just abide by them. The laws don't care if I agree with them - I must follow them or pay the price.

All rights/privileges in this country are not absolute. They must still comply with other Constitutional mandates.
Religious freedom is one of the most PRIMARY of constitutional mandates, my fellow citizen. Mandates meaning something completely different here, I might add. ;):lamo:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom