• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debate Politics Religion Census

What religion are you

• Total voters
Agnostic would have been a nice choice for the poll...

Atheist. Ex-Catholic.

You already did one of these.

Agnostic would have been a nice choice for the poll...

No it wouldn't because that's an entirely different question from the one being asked. If you actively believe in the existence of a god, you're a theist, if not, you're an atheist. That includes people who don't know if there's a god (and nobody, like it or not, has any means of claiming knowledge in that regard) or don't care. No belief = atheism.

Moderator's Warning:
Dupe threads merged.

No it wouldn't because that's an entirely different question from the one being asked. If you actively believe in the existence of a god, you're a theist, if not, you're an atheist. That includes people who don't know if there's a god (and nobody, like it or not, has any means of claiming knowledge in that regard) or don't care. No belief = atheism.

When Atheists are included in a religious poll, Agnostics should have been as well and would probably end up at the top given the demographics I've seen at DP...

I'm surprised people are taking the atheist choice considering I've been repeatedly told that atheism isn't a religion.

When Atheists are included in a religious poll, Agnostics should have been as well and would probably end up at the top given the demographics I've seen at DP...

"Agnostic" either means some mystical conviction that there things unknowable in principle, or it means nothing. I see no evidence of gods existing, so they are not a part of my worldview, and I am an a-theist. I do not know for sure that gods do not exist. How can I - or anybody, considering that we don't even know what to look for? All atheists are then "agnostics" (or else inverted religious fanatics who believe that there no gods, based on nothing).

I'm surprised people are taking the atheist choice considering I've been repeatedly told that atheism isn't a religion.

Well, it was italicized, as a separate option. "None" would do just as well.

"Agnostic" either means some mystical conviction that there things unknowable in principle, or it means nothing. I see no evidence of gods existing, so they are not a part of my worldview, and I am an a-theist. I do not know for sure that gods do not exist. How can I - or anybody, considering that we don't even know what to look for? All atheists are then "agnostics" (or else inverted religious fanatics who believe that there no gods, based on nothing).

No, it means a real uncertainty, or one can hold a belief that something can be created from nothing...

Well, it was italicized, as a separate option. "None" would do just as well.

Dude, it's only italicized for you because that was your answer. :lol:

I didn't think so. I wonder why not.

I'm guessing a fundamental lack of curiosity, or perhaps he feels the subject has been made too much of already, is the most likely explanation for his peculiar lack of interest in this topic.

I've noticed that there seems to be no consensus, among those who self-identify as atheist or agnostic, as to the difference between the two.

Most agnostics I've ever known personally say they are "agnostic" because they do not believe there is proof of a God, but that they do not exclude the possibility, and distinguish themselves thus from "atheists". Yet most who self-label as "atheist" do not define "agnostic" that way. It gets a bit confusing. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom