• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

However, one of the state's two Republican senators, Tom Coburn, wants to put a stipulation on that offer: No federal aid without corresponding federal budget cuts.

If he really feels this way i am sure that no one will object if he returns his Salary and all funding to his office. Oh but then he would actually have to do something. Let us hope this is not a trend among republicans in the future because i am pretty sure that will help turn more red states blue. It is one thing to cut aid to hispanics and poor people, but I am pretty sure even the rich can get hit by tornadoes in Oklahoma. I am pretty sure disaster relief is something that is there for everyone.

So basically the guy makes a statement that he is against FEMA that I'm sure he is aware is a welfare program for everyone, and you still talk as if he is only against welfare for the poor and minorities? Wow.

Last edited:
Btw, blue states are blue due to huge cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. If you cut out the huge cities there is nothing else that is blue in the entire country.

Btw, blue states are blue due to huge cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. If you cut out the huge cities there is nothing else that is blue in the entire country.

IF is the biggest word in the English language. IF we didn't have 'huge' cities then this country would be a 3rd rate regional power and most likely a doormat for every real world power out there.

Next a more precise look at colors is red, blue and shades of purple as many 'red' states have a strong blue streak to them.

Now look at which states get more tax money back than they sent in, again thanks to those 'bad ol' blue states' red states reap a bonus.

While Coburn wants to put ideology above the people who elected him's welfare I'd agree IF the budget cut comes from something near and dear to his heart- we ALL must make sacrifices. Lets take the money out of Tinker AFB and Ft. Sill. I remember the cow he had when an overweight, overpriced and obsolete self propelled artillery project was cancelled. He wasn't for saving the taxpayers a single dime when it comes to funding military white elephants.

Dr. Coburn is a firm believer in Creationism and very anti-evolution even as a doctor he knows life mutates like drug resistant disease shows. Fossil record is not a timeline but something to confuse us. earth is not billions of years old.

But I take heart, he has pledged to leave the senate in 2016. I for one can't wait, his successor will be a 'conservative'- I just hope a more intellectually honest one.

Yeah, if you get rid of three quarters of the educated portion of the US population, the GOP could win elections. I guess that they're only hope.

Yeah, if you get rid of three quarters of the educated portion of the US population, the GOP could win elections. I guess that they're only hope.

Yeah, because there isn't smart people all over the country of all ideologies. You fail.

If he really feels this way i am sure that no one will object if he returns his Salary and all funding to his office. Oh but then he would actually have to do something. Let us hope this is not a trend among republicans in the future because i am pretty sure that will help turn more red states blue. It is one thing to cut aid to hispanics and poor people, but I am pretty sure even the rich can get hit by tornadoes in Oklahoma. I am pretty sure disaster relief is something that is there for everyone.

Wow....first you make a thread suggesting that we withhold money from a red state because of thier political views and then you make another thread condemning a red state for not wanting the very thing you wanted to withhold from them anyways....Hypocritical much Tererun?

:lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo

Man you're partisanship knows no bounds does it HoJ?

The 1999 tornado caused over a billion dollars in damages. These people rebuilt in the same spot.

I am pretty sure disaster relief is something that is there for everyone.

Actually, after all these years I still haven't found any mandate for domestic or international disaster relief in the US Constitution. Maybe you can show me where it is?

Senator Coburn is actually taking a principled stance on this issue; whether you agree with him or not.

The 1999 tornado caused over a billion dollars in damages. These people rebuilt in the same spot.

You're implying that the exact same homes, schools and businesses were effected during both incidences. Only a small percentage were the same.

Sorry to hear. Tackle global warming headon. Be prepared for natural disasters. No lessons learnt from Katrina?

Back
Top Bottom