• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS Office That Targeted Tea Party Also Disclosed Confidential Docs From Conservative

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
"The same IRS office that deliberately targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status in the run-up to the 2012 election released nine pending confidential applications of conservative groups to ProPublica late last year.

The IRS did not respond to requests Monday following up about that release, and whether it had determined how the applications were sent to ProPublica.

In response to a request for the applications for 67 different nonprofits last November, the Cincinnati office of the IRS sent ProPublica applications or documentation for 31 groups. Nine of those applications had not yet been approved—meaning they were not supposed to be made public.

IRS Office That Targeted Tea Party Also Disclosed Confidential Docs From Conservative Groups - ProPublica

ProPublica is known to be a very left leaning news organization that is a major water carrier for Obama

Its like a bad nightmare for Obama and his administration that just keeps getting worse and worse

Last edited:
Re: IRS Office That Targeted Tea Party Also Disclosed Confidential Docs From Conserva

I don't think you read your own link. It looks like the IRS should have been investigating these conservative fronts even more vigorously. These rightwing groups appear to have broken the law and should be prosecuted.

As part of its reporting, ProPublica regularly requested applications from the IRS’s Cincinnati office, which is responsible for reviewing applications from nonprofits.

Social welfare nonprofits are not required to apply to the IRS to operate. Many politically active new conservative groups apply anyway. Getting IRS approval can help with donations and help insulate groups from further scrutiny. Many politically active new liberal nonprofits have not applied.

Applications become public only after the IRS approves a group’s tax-exempt status.

On Nov. 15, 2012, ProPublica requested the applications of 67 nonprofits, all of which had spent money on the 2012 elections. (Because no social welfare groups with Tea Party in their names spent money on the election, ProPublica did not at that point request their applications. We had requested the Tea Party applications earlier, after the groups first complained about being singled out by the IRS. In response, the IRS said it could find no record of the tax-exempt status of those groups — typically how it responds to requests for unapproved applications.)

Just 13 days after ProPublica sent in its request, the IRS responded with the documents on 31 social welfare groups.

One of the applications the IRS released to ProPublica was from Crossroads GPS, the largest social-welfare nonprofit involved in the 2012 election. The group, started in part by GOP consultant Karl Rove, promised the IRS that any effort to influence elections would be “limited.” The group spent more than $70 million from anonymous donors in 2012.

Applications were sent to ProPublica from five other social welfare groups that had told the IRS that they wouldn’t spend money to sway elections. The other groups ended up spending more than $5 million related to the election, mainly to support Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Much of that money was spent by the Arizona group Americans for Responsible Leadership. The remaining four groups that told the IRS they wouldn’t engage in political spending were Freedom Path, Rightchange.com II, America Is Not Stupid and A Better America Now.

Re: IRS Office That Targeted Tea Party Also Disclosed Confidential Docs From Conserva

Give Joaquin here a break. I mean come on already he's got a lot of denial to dish up to cover the lies in Benghazi, political scandal at his beloved IRS and now his DOJ eavesdropping on his main stream media! It may be more then a common liberal can really justify!

Give Joaquin here a break. I mean come on already he's got a lot of denial to dish up to cover the lies in Benghazi, political scandal at his beloved IRS and now his DOJ eavesdropping on his main stream media! It may be more then a common liberal can really justify!

This sounds like you're embarrassed for the OP. So am I. It makes a good case that the IRS should be investigating these Tea Party thugs more thoroughly. I doubt that was the intent.

Not sure why a liberal would even attempt to justify the misuse of the IRS in this way. Perhaps he was unaware that even his idol Obama called it outrageous.

Got you deflection shields on full power? Your going to need em today!

This sounds like you're embarrassed for the OP. So am I. It makes a good case that the IRS should be investigating these Tea Party thugs more thoroughly. I doubt that was the intent.

Got you deflection shields on full power? Your going to need em today!

No, I just read the article the OP linked and it showed that most of these groups were GOP fronts that should be investigated.

I suspect that wasn't the intent. I guess tea partiers don't read their own links.

I don't think you read your own link. It looks like the IRS should have been investigating these conservative fronts even more vigorously. These rightwing groups appear to have broken the law and should be prosecuted.

does a brick need to fall on a Liberals head before they can figure something out? what part of "ProPublica is known to be a very left leaning news organization that is a major water carrier for Obama" did you not understand?

This administration with the IRS was in bed with ProPublica with their attempt to smear and silence Tea Party groups. the IRS leaked confidential information in exchange for them to write a negative story on these groups

Last edited:

does a brick need to fall on a Liberals head before they can figure something out? what part of "ProPublica is known to be a very left leaning news organization that is a major water carrier for Obama" did you not understand
This administration with the IRS was in bed with ProPublica with their attempt to smear and silence Tea Party groups. the IRS leaked confidential information in exchange for them to write a negative story on these groups
Nah, cant be. Bush has to be behind this somehow...

Not sure why a liberal would even attempt to justify the misuse of the IRS in this way. Perhaps he was unaware that even his idol Obama called it outrageous.

sometimes it is their job--literally

INCREDIBLE...you mean this administration is derelict in its duty to prosecute someone??? especially a 'rightwing group'...Thanks for pointing out another in a long list of incompetent examples.

INCREDIBLE...you mean this administration is derelict in its duty to prosecute someone??? especially a 'rightwing group'...Thanks for pointing out another in a long list of incompetent examples.

We agree: Obama should be going after these tea party front organizations for tax fraud.

We agree: Obama should be going after these tea party front organizations for tax fraud.

We agree? The Obama administration is incompetent? Go on you can say it...OOOPS you already did! :lamo

Back
Top Bottom