• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boston College students could face disciplinary action for distributing condoms[W:27]

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In an e-mail, Boston College officials said they may take disciplinary action against its own students who are distributing condoms out of their dorm rooms, MyFoxBoston.com reported.The unsanctioned program called "B.C. Students for Student Health" offers dozens of locations where students can pick up condoms and pamphlets about sexual health.
The e-mail sent to students indicates that the student health group could be in violation of university police if they are found circulating condoms throughout the campus.
"As a Jesuit, Catholic university there are certain Catholic commitments that we are called to uphold," says university spokesperson Jack Dunn. "All we ask of our students is that they respect these commitments and the values upon which they are based."
Dunn goes on to say that this group has been warned "repeatedly" that the distribution of condoms is not in line with the values of Boston College. He adds that the group has been invited to meet with administrators to discuss the matter, however if they continue distributing the condoms they will face disciplinary action.

Read more: Boston College students could face disciplinary action for distributing condoms | Fox News

Ok, yet another situation where religious private universities are being forced by progressive organization efforts to go against their rules....

Thoughts?

I don't see anybody forcing the university to do anything. Students were acting on their own.

Besides, what would the university prefer? That the students run around and get pregnant and or VD?

The chances of thousands of college students staying celibate are near zero. Nevermind the fact that the Pope said condoms were OK. So it sounds like they are actually pretty ****ty catholics.

Ok, yet another situation where religious private universities are being forced by progressive organization efforts to go against their rules....

Thoughts?

Who the hell is forcing the university to do anything?

The school is a Catholic school, the students knew that and the school can do what ever it wants. Last I heard no one is forcing it to do anything. Prolly another Fauxrage.

For as bad as BC parties can get I would think the school would encourage this. An abortion issue might make the school a little more upset.

The problem with responding to these little teapot tempests is that one ever knows who is really behind what happened or why the event happened. More questions are always raised by the publication than are answered.

This seems silly really, walk five minutes and you can buy a condom somewhere, this isn't an inner city elementary school where the teachers distribute condoms to the kids and show them how to install them. Most guys don't usually wait until the situation is in extremis to start looking for one anyway.

Thoughts?

Progressive organizations welcome the 21's century, unlike regressive organizations.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

of course the kids are going to fight back, but I don't see any courts who have decided that the university must keep them. Why don't you get back to us when that decision is made and then you can argue the government is forcing them to do something. At that point i would agree with you if the courts sided with the students who violated the rules on students. However, the students passing out condoms is not forcing anything on them considering they are private and can enact their own academic penalties on the students. Really, the problem seems more to be with the media beating that is going to come from this. Sorry, this is america and you have your freedoms to do as you will, and those actions may get attention you don't like. You are not free from negative attention due to really stupid policies.

So put the moral outrage away until the courts tell the school they have to do something. Right now the only thing you have to whine about is the attention for doing something stupid, and no one protects you from that. You have no constitutional right not to be mocked for your stupid.

The kids have every right to fight contractual disputes in civil court. I don't see the court backing them, but they do have the right to make the case. It is part of the american legal system that you get into when you start making a business and agree to sell a person an education. You do have certain legal responsibilities to your customers, and you cannot hide behind your religion when you jump into the business world. I doubt the kids will win given they entered into the contract for an education freely, and they have their own contractual responsibilities which they are voluntarily violating. Hopefully MA has a rule that allows the university to recoup it's costs of frivilous lawsuits. As long as these students were informed of the rules they chose the backwards place to get an education. I am fine with the university doing everything it can to discipline them including paying it's lawyers who handle the case from the kid's pockets. It will show the next group of kids don't go to this school, or do if you are a religious prude who doesn't want to learn about the benefits of a modern invention that prevents diseases and fixes problems. Seriously, if they are ignoring condoms what other advancements are they ignoring?

I wonder how a Muslim University would handle this type of issue? BC is a 'backwards' place? I didn't know that.

Certainly an organization trying to disobey the rules is promoting an agenda not sanctioned by BC, but BC has the right to do what they are doing. That they want to meet with the folks to discuss alternatives to them distributing on campus is a pretty decent attempt at a compromise to me.

Wasn't there a time when folks attended colleges to gain an advanced education and a degree? Perhaps if the student spent less time passing out condoms and making "statements" he'd have a bit more time for academic achievement. Can't imagine Boston College being inexpensive.

Ok, Look people maybe I worded my opening poorly...The students to my understanding are doing this against the universities rules, known by the students. If the students, whom have been warned about this prior, continued to do it anyway then BC is within its rights to take action. But the ACLU trying to take action against BC for enforcing their own rules is blowing my mind....This is a private university, if the students don't like the rules, let them find another place to go to school....To me this is like someone ordering a meal at a restaurant, then after they eat the meal saying that they didn't like it so they are refusing to pay. It isn't right.

I wonder how a Muslim University would handle this type of issue? BC is a 'backwards' place? I didn't know that.

Cons always invoke the "what if it was a Muslim" card when their fairy tale gets poo-poo'd.

Never fails.

Thoughts?

A condom fight? Cry me a river.

Ok, Look people maybe I worded my opening poorly...The students to my understanding are doing this against the universities rules, known by the students. If the students, whom have been warned about this prior, continued to do it anyway then BC is within its rights to take action. But the ACLU trying to take action against BC for enforcing their own rules is blowing my mind....This is a private university, if the students don't like the rules, let them find another place to go to school....To me this is like someone ordering a meal at a restaurant, then after they eat the meal saying that they didn't like it so they are refusing to pay. It isn't right.

Actually having gone to school a mile from BC, I am a bit surprised by the school's reaction. BC is one of the bigger party schools in Boston and those parties tend to get a bit wild. I mean hell some of the freshman from BC that were on the hockey team were in trouble for hitting the T with a car when drunk one night and the school didn't do that much. I understand the school is a supposed to be a religious school, but honestly they do a bad job at enforcing it.

So the students are refusing to pay tuition or giving out free condoms? How is giving something away like stealing?

Actually having gone to school a mile from BC, I am a bit surprised by the school's reaction. BC is one of the bigger party schools in Boston and those parties tend to get a bit wild. I mean hell some of the freshman from BC that were on the hockey team were in trouble for hitting the T with a car when drunk one night and the school didn't do that much. I understand the school is a supposed to be a religious school, but honestly they do a bad job at enforcing it.

Possibly, but does that mean that because in the past they have been lax, that they can no longer enforce their own rules? Isn't that anarchy, or the beginnings of it?

So the students are refusing to pay tuition or giving out free condoms? How is giving something away like stealing?

I know they are different actions, but rules are rules either written, or unspoken. Civil society depends on it...Are you for no rule is to be followed if you don't like it?

Cons always invoke the "what if it was a Muslim" card when their fairy tale gets poo-poo'd.

Never fails.

What fairy tale pray tell. BC has a right to set and enforce their rules. It is a private school. Now, what do you think a Muslim school would do with violators.

For all we know, the students could of put holes in them. :lol:

Thoughts?

Possibly, but does that mean that because in the past they have been lax, that they can no longer enforce their own rules? Isn't that anarchy, or the beginnings of it?

No what I am saying is that they are doing it the wrong way. They first need to address the drinking problem because I bet the party atmosphere is part of the reason condoms are needed. Having lived so close to the school, having been at BC and BC parties (against my own will, a true BU student never goes there) and knowing people at BC addressing the drinking solves a lot of problems.

What fairy tale pray tell. BC has a right to set and enforce their rules. It is a private school. Now, what do you think a Muslim school would do with violators.

bible = fairy tale

bible = fairy tale

Rules are established for various reasons. If one opts to be a part of an organization, the USMC for example, one is expected to follow the rules or face the consequences..

Back
Top Bottom