• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play - Bloomberg

Johnson, 66, the Senate banking committee chairman, is the second Democrat from a state won by Republican nominee Mitt Romney last year to say he won’t seek re-election in 2014. His announcement yesterday means that in Republican-leaning states, his party must defend those two open seats and support five incumbents running for re-election.
“I will be 68 years old at the end of this term, and it is time for me to say goodbye,” Johnson said at a news conference in his home state of South Dakota.
His announcement sets up a possible fight over who would head the Senate Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs Committee -- which oversees financial regulation legislation -- in the 2015- 16 congressional session.
I think this going to be a key factor in killing any gun control in the Senate. We'll see.

Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play - Bloomberg

I think this going to be a key factor in killing any gun control in the Senate. We'll see.

Hmmmmmmm....... Johnson says at age 68 it's time for him to leave the scene. Could this be a comment directed at a senior lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, thinking about entering Presidential politics in a couple of years who will also be 68 heading towards 69 before the Presidential election in 2016?

Hmmmmmmm....... Johnson says at age 68 it's time for him to leave the scene. Could this be a comment directed at a senior lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, thinking about entering Presidential politics in a couple of years who will also be 68 heading towards 69 before the Presidential election in 2016?

Johnson's retirement had more to do with his health problems then age. I recall he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.

Johnson's retirement had more to do with his health problems then age. I recall he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.

So only half his brain is working, like a normal politician.

All the more reason to consider Hillary's health considering her fainting spell attributed to exhaustion during the run up to her testimony following Benghazi. Unless you're Barack Obama, the job of President would be infinitely more stressful than Secretary of State and I don't think Hillary golfs or follows college basketball.

All the more reason to consider Hillary's health considering her fainting spell attributed to exhaustion during the run up to her testimony following Benghazi. Unless you're Barack Obama, the job of President would be infinitely more stressful than Secretary of State and I don't think Hillary golfs or follows college basketball.

Your contempt for Hilary and Obama are duly noted. And if you think international diplomacy is not stressful, then I would like to know what is. Oh right, it is dealing with all the conspiracys day in and day out.

Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became President. Just saying.

Your contempt for Hilary and Obama are duly noted. And if you think international diplomacy is not stressful, then I would like to know what is. Oh right, it is dealing with all the conspiracys day in and day out.

Perhaps you can quote for me one passage in which I stated or implied that international diplomacy isn't stressful. I'll wait patiently.

What I did imply, explicitly, is that I would believe the Presidency to be even more stressful, unless you only hold the title for the perks, such as President Obama does.

Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became President. Just saying.

Much as I respect Reagan for what he did, using him as an example of age not being a medical factor in choosing a President is hardly a good one.

Much as I respect Reagan for what he did, using him as an example of age not being a medical factor in choosing a President is hardly a good one.

Perhaps not, but it's also good to keep in mind. Believe me, if people try to make Hilary's age an issue in 2016, it will be brought up.

Perhaps not, but it's also good to keep in mind. Believe me, if people try to make Hilary's age an issue in 2016, it will be brought up.

I'm sure it will be brought up - I actually don't think Hillary Clinton will run - I think it's more likely her daughter will run for congress in 2016 and mom will support and work with her on that. I can't see her wanting to be President into her late 70s.

1. I expect Hillary to be named as a nominee for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court to replace Ginsberg at the end of this session so that will be a moot issue soon enough; and

2. I doubt this really will have any impact on gun control---that is an imploding issue for the democrats unless there is another school shooting.

I'm sure it will be brought up - I actually don't think Hillary Clinton will run - I think it's more likely her daughter will run for congress in 2016 and mom will support and work with her on that. I can't see her wanting to be President into her late 70s.
I can.

It's what's been driving her ever since Bill Clinton left office. She staged herself perfectly, too. She moved to New York so she could get an easy ticket to the Senate. She served as Senator to boost her profile and then she was SUPPOSED to be ushered in as the first female POTUS in 2008. She would have been, too, if her plans hadn't got derailed by Obama. She had it all right at her finger tips only to see it snatched away in what had to be considered some kind of fluke.

She's running in 2016. I'd be shocked if she didn't.

I can.

It's what's been driving her ever since Bill Clinton left office. She staged herself perfectly, too. She moved to New York so she could get an easy ticket to the Senate. She served as Senator to boost her profile and then she was SUPPOSED to be ushered in as the first female POTUS in 2008. She would have been, too, if her plans hadn't got derailed by Obama. She had it all right at her finger tips only to see it snatched away in what had to be considered some kind of fluke.

She's running in 2016. I'd be shocked if she didn't.

Me too. So Clinton v. Bush Part II. Actually like part VI or so. Every election since 1992 has been that on some level

Back
Top Bottom