• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prince George’s considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students’ work

Real Korimyr #9

Not Myself, I'm a Replica of Me
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A proposal by the Prince George’s County Board of Education to copyright work created by staff and students for school could mean that a picture drawn by a first-grader, a lesson plan developed by a teacher or an app created by a teen would belong to the school system, not the individual.

The measure has some worried that by the system claiming ownership to the work of others, creativity could be stifled and there would be little incentive to come up with innovative ways to educate students. Some have questioned the legality of the proposal as it relates to students.

Prince George’s considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students’ work - The Washington Post

You know, I want to support the welfare schools... I really, really do... but god dammit they make it difficult sometimes.

This is blatantly immoral-- it is nothing short of the exploitation of students and the theft of their intellectual property and I hope someone nails them to the wall for this.

Whoever came up with this needs to be fired.

Prince George’s considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students’ work - The Washington Post

You know, I want to support the welfare schools... I really, really do... but god dammit they make it difficult sometimes.

This is blatantly immoral-- it is nothing short of the exploitation of students and the theft of their intellectual property and I hope someone nails them to the wall for this.

Happens all the time.. it is nothing new. The work you do at your job is copywrited to that company not you, so why should it be any different in a school? It already happens at university level....

Happens all the time.. it is nothing new. The work you do at your job is copywrited to that company not you, so why should it be any different in a school? It already happens at university level....

That's ****ed up too.

Hopefully the parents raise hell with the morons who are proposing this.

The difference being that your employer is paying you for the privilege. The school system is not.

The difference being that your employer is paying you for the privilege. The school system is not.

Not for the school teachers... And at university level, if you use school infrastructure to "create" something, then the school has the copywrite unless else specified. So basically using school crayons makes the end result... the schools.

As a computer systems designer, it is somewhat frustrating to see my work out in the field, but its not like I didn't know what I was getting when I signed up. First year college, required course: computer law.

Little over the edge on the school age children, since they are not financially compensated for their learning, but not for the teachers.

Government wanting to take credit for the peoples' work. Garbage.

Back
Top Bottom