• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves The Drug War Is A Joke

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Ain't being a corporate person great? There is simply no jail time for those kinds of people for almost anything they do...

Matt Taibbi: 'Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves The Drug War Is A Joke'

If you've ever been arrested on a drug charge, if you've ever spent even a day in jail for having a stem of marijuana in your pocket or "drug paraphernalia" in your gym bag, Assistant Attorney General and longtime Bill Clinton pal Lanny Breuer has a message for you: Bite me.

Breuer this week signed off on a settlement deal with the British banking giant HSBC that is the ultimate insult to every ordinary person who's ever had his life altered by a narcotics charge. Despite the fact that HSBC admitted to laundering billions of dollars for Colombian and Mexican drug cartels (among others) and violating a host of important banking laws (from the Bank Secrecy Act to the Trading With the Enemy Act), Breuer and his Justice Department elected not to pursue criminal prosecutions of the bank, opting instead for a "record" financial settlement of $1.9 billion, which as one analyst noted is about five weeks of income for the bank.

The banks' laundering transactions were so brazen that the NSA probably could have spotted them from space. Breuer admitted that drug dealers would sometimes come to HSBC's Mexican branches and "deposit hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, in a single day, into a single account, using boxes designed to fit the precise dimensions of the teller windows."

This bears repeating: in order to more efficiently move as much illegal money as possible into the "legitimate" banking institution HSBC, drug dealers specifically designed boxes to fit through the bank's teller windows. Tony Montana's henchmen marching dufflebags of cash into the fictional "American City Bank" in Miami was actually more subtle than what the cartels were doing when they washed their cash through one of Britain's most storied financial institutions.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the reasoning here is beyond flawed. When you decide not to prosecute bankers for billion-dollar crimes connected to drug-dealing and terrorism (some of HSBC's Saudi and Bangladeshi clients had terrorist ties, according to a Senate investigation), it doesn't protect the banking system, it does exactly the opposite. It terrifies investors and depositors everywhere, leaving them with the clear impression that even the most "reputable" banks may in fact be captured institutions whose senior executives are in the employ of (this can't be repeated often enough) murderers and terrorists. Even more shocking, the Justice Department's response to learning about all of this was to do exactly the same thing that the HSBC executives did in the first place to get themselves in trouble – they took money to look the other way.​

Until Barney Frank does time for telling everyone freddie and fannie were just fine I really no
longer care about these criminals. C. Dodd, Graham and Frank deserve as much prison time
as any of these guys.

Politicians and the Banksters do not operate under the same fear of retribution that you and I do.

Once one of us saves up a few billion$, we'll also be safe from "justice". In the meantime, lie and hide to the best of your ability.

1. The bankers were most likely rich white guys.

2. The bankers wear suits and ties and their pant's aren't down to their knees.

I suppose they should get a pass. LOL!

Until Barney Frank does time for telling everyone freddie and fannie were just fine I really no
longer care about these criminals. C. Dodd, Graham and Frank deserve as much prison time
as any of these guys.

Really. Helping murderers, drug cartels, and terrorists move their money around doesn't bother you.

Sure it does; but so does telling us everything is fine 6 months before everything collapses and needs a 700 billion
bail out to keep from turning into a super crisis; and creating the rules that generated that very crisis. I think as
many people were impacted in 2008/9 by the housing bubble burst as by drug cartels, murderers and terrorists.
Including a lot of people dead because of it. I would like those people in prison for what they did.

Really. Helping murderers, drug cartels, and terrorists move their money around doesn't bother you.

Too big to fail.

Too big to jail.

The US is a plutocracy.

Ain't being a corporate person great? There is simply no jail time for those kinds of people for almost anything they do...

Matt Taibbi: 'Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves The Drug War Is A Joke'

If you've ever been arrested on a drug charge, if you've ever spent even a day in jail for having a stem of marijuana in your pocket or "drug paraphernalia" in your gym bag, Assistant Attorney General and longtime Bill Clinton pal Lanny Breuer has a message for you: Bite me.

Breuer this week signed off on a settlement deal with the British banking giant HSBC that is the ultimate insult to every ordinary person who's ever had his life altered by a narcotics charge. Despite the fact that HSBC admitted to laundering billions of dollars for Colombian and Mexican drug cartels (among others) and violating a host of important banking laws (from the Bank Secrecy Act to the Trading With the Enemy Act), Breuer and his Justice Department elected not to pursue criminal prosecutions of the bank, opting instead for a "record" financial settlement of $1.9 billion, which as one analyst noted is about five weeks of income for the bank.

The banks' laundering transactions were so brazen that the NSA probably could have spotted them from space. Breuer admitted that drug dealers would sometimes come to HSBC's Mexican branches and "deposit hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, in a single day, into a single account, using boxes designed to fit the precise dimensions of the teller windows."

This bears repeating: in order to more efficiently move as much illegal money as possible into the "legitimate" banking institution HSBC, drug dealers specifically designed boxes to fit through the bank's teller windows. Tony Montana's henchmen marching dufflebags of cash into the fictional "American City Bank" in Miami was actually more subtle than what the cartels were doing when they washed their cash through one of Britain's most storied financial institutions.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the reasoning here is beyond flawed. When you decide not to prosecute bankers for billion-dollar crimes connected to drug-dealing and terrorism (some of HSBC's Saudi and Bangladeshi clients had terrorist ties, according to a Senate investigation), it doesn't protect the banking system, it does exactly the opposite. It terrifies investors and depositors everywhere, leaving them with the clear impression that even the most "reputable" banks may in fact be captured institutions whose senior executives are in the employ of (this can't be repeated often enough) murderers and terrorists. Even more shocking, the Justice Department's response to learning about all of this was to do exactly the same thing that the HSBC executives did in the first place to get themselves in trouble – they took money to look the other way.​

Yup...the rich get richer even more..they run the corporations that hire the slave prisoners and pay them pennies of the hour so they make HUGE profits from this.

as any of these guys.

You really might want to read a CREDIBLE news source to find out the truth on this. Supporting banksters is really anti-American families.

as any of these guys.

I would suggest that Mr Dodd and Mr Frank were complicit and received monetary compensation for their role in this whole sordid affair.

I.E. They got campaign funding.

Back
Top Bottom