• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Riots Break Out Between Black, Latino Students At Victorville School

The Prof

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Victorville said violent fights have been breaking out between African-Americans and Latinos for the past two days.

Rafael Muñoz said a group of people started the fights at Silverado High on Wednesday, which have poured out into the streets.

“One person started fighting, then the other would jump in. And continuously jump in and (it) ended up to be mob fighting. (I) got pepper sprayed by the security,” he said.

Cellphone video caught one brawl, which spilled into 14-year-old Jeremy Buenrostro’s lawn.

“The cops are nowhere to be seen. We’ve been calling them. They took forever. 911 placed people on hold. It was ridiculous,” said [Monica] Rodriguez.

The San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department deployed cruisers and a helicopter on Thursday to assist with the disturbance on campus.

Riots Break Out Between Black, Latino Students At Victorville School « CBS Los Angeles

post racial america, anyone?

Where does this stem from?

I remember race-based feuds from my high school days. There were three "gangs" that were constantly going at one another. One gang was predominantly black, another Hispanic, and another Laos.

Once, a guy from the mostly Laos gang did lord only knows what to piss off a member of the mostly Hispanic gang. Shortly there after, a retaliatory member of the Hispanic gang was expelled for repeated violation of anti-violence rules. A few days afterwards, he slipped into the school during first lunch and took a metal pipe to the head of one of the Laos gang members. Kid ended up in the hospital for most of the rest of the year (event took place in the spring time).

From my observation, I don't think it was about hating the other races. I think it was about hating the other group fighting for dominance. I never heard them using racially offensive terms in reference to one another. It was always some slur involving the gang name, or an offensive bastardization of the other gang's "hand sign". I think the racial grouping was more about common ground than Xenophobia or racial bias. Ultimately, they behaved like a gang: all about power, disruption, control, and "hustling" for money. When you've got three groups vying to be the biggest assholes on campus, it's bound to come to blows.

Not saying that's what happened in the OP story, of course. Just an anecdote.

Racial conflict between African-Americans and Hispanics/Latinos is very, very common at every level - even in politics.

Typically, when a person uses the phrase 'post-racial America' they're referring to the fact that minorities are not experiencing as much discrimination as they did decades ago. The phrase seemed to get used more especially after the first African-American, Barack Obama, was elected president. Obviously, there are still issues with race in this country; but, I don't think that black and Latino students fighting with each other is a fair gauge of where America stands as far as equality of the races is concerned.

I remember race-based feuds from my high school days. There were three "gangs" that were constantly going at one another. One gang was predominantly black, another Hispanic, and another Laos.

Once, a guy from the mostly Laos gang did lord only knows what to piss off a member of the mostly Hispanic gang. Shortly there after, a retaliatory member of the Hispanic gang was expelled for repeated violation of anti-violence rules. A few days afterwards, he slipped into the school during first lunch and took a metal pipe to the head of one of the Laos gang members. Kid ended up in the hospital for most of the rest of the year (event took place in the spring time).

From my observation, I don't think it was about hating the other races. I think it was about hating the other group fighting for dominance. I never heard them using racially offensive terms in reference to one another. It was always some slur involving the gang name, or an offensive bastardization of the other gang's "hand sign". I think the racial grouping was more about common ground than Xenophobia or racial bias. Ultimately, they behaved like a gang: all about power, disruption, control, and "hustling" for money. When you've got three groups vying to be the biggest assholes on campus, it's bound to come to blows.

Probably not too far off base, Tess.

Wow, I thought the police in Detroit were bad when I lived there. They would always respond slowly to this kind of violence. They would just wait until everything was over, then come in and play cleanup.

Wow, I thought the police in Detroit were bad when I lived there. They would always respond slowly to this kind of violence. They would just wait until everything was over, then come in and play cleanup.

... and you think its because the victims were minorities? A lot of the detroit population is black.. including the police.

Anyway. No.

Let me introduce you to the concept of: gang-related violence.

It is a concept the police in the USA apply mostly... and it is a concept that is beginning more and more to permeate European police forces as more and more blacks and arabs come into european countries.

Gang-related violence is a term used when two or more gangs have done violence to one another with no other collateral victims. Meaning, if 10 people of a certain gang fought with 10 from another gang... the police will stay out of it. It is procedure, and rightfully so. Intervening in any gang-related violence must be done with outstanding amount of force. You need to get a lot of people, very well armed, and there is always the risk of officers dying on the line of duty. So better wait it out. Let them kill themselves and then scoop up the damage. If no innocent (non-gangbanger) is injured, then the entire file is put somewhere away and not given much attention because there are many other crimes where good law-biding citizens have been killed, injured or otherwise prejudiced.

So the reason they respond late to any gang-related violence is because there is no need to respond early and without massive resources... the response will turn out to be too small to make a proper difference. You can't send 2 cops in a squad car to clear things out. No... you need SWAT and other special forces, trained to fight gangs. They have guns, knifes and may be on God knows what drugs.

You're not playing joko and the Prof's game. They want you to make racially based attacks. Play along.

... and you think its because the victims were minorities? A lot of the detroit population is black.. including the police.

No, I don't think it is because the victims are minorities. I should have been more clear and stated any time you called the cops, for any reason, it took hours for them to show up. Thankfully it isn't that way where I live now, which is part of the reason why I moved. I totally understand your response about gang related violence and I agree, it takes a lot of police to get involved.

In response to the original post, this is a major parenting fail. If parents were more involved with their children's activities and who they hang out with, this sort of thing could have been avoided.

CBS 2’s Walter Jacobson sat down with gang members in Chicago’s troubled Englewood neighborhood to try to find some answers. “There’s no solution to the violence,” one gang member tells him. “Killing, killing is the solution.”

Jacobson asked the young man if he would kill personally, if he had to. “I’ve never killed before, but if I had a gun in my possession,” he said.

“We’ve got to eat. We want to. We want money. We want to get fresh, we want fresh eggs almost every day. We want all that,” another young man said.

But where do they get the money they need? The young man answered bluntly. “Rob, steal and kill. That’s the only way. We didn’t grow up in Beverly Hills. We don’t get it handed to us,” he said. “We ain’t living in Hyde Park,” added a third young man.

But given the state of their impoverished Englewood neighborhood, where is the money they can get? “Selling drugs,” a young man replied. “In our neighborhood, I ain’t going to lie to you. That’s where the money comes from.”

Some of the young men were brought into gangs as children. Isn’t that pretty young to play gang warfare? A young man answered: “I chose the gang. I didn’t have to choose anything. I was only 10. My OG (old gangster) gave me everything. But I just went on my own and I chose to get in the gang. We was whipping everybody in the neighborhood. Respect. I was getting money.”

The gang members also said they are at war with the Chicago Police Department. “The police hate us,” a young man said. “Every time they ride past us, they shoot us down and do all that. Do what you want to do, I don’t care about you all, keep riding. Who are you all? We’re not scare of you all. I’ll fight you too. Take that badge off.”

“I laugh at the police,” he said. “They’re a joke to me.”

And where would the young men like to be in 10 years? One of them replied, “in a mansion, with a lot of cars, and a lot of women.” Another said, “I just hope I’m still living.”

‘Killing Is The Solution,’ Gang Member Tells Walter Jacobson « CBS Chicago

why did obama promote arne duncan from ceo of cps to ed secty?

why did the teachers go on strike?

so much sadness, so little leadership

This is the result of liberal worship of "Multi-culturalism." Andrea Merkel is correct, Multiculturalism is a failure. The colonization of the United States by Mexico's most poverty stricken, uneducated dependency class, all with huge families, has destroyed the American culture. It is gone. Instead of being the most powerful, prosperous country in the world, America is now a dependency state without a common language, where political correctness suppresses free speech so it appears that the country is not filled with rage and anger. All of the big cities have been given to foreigners and there are many parts of cities where white people cannot go or they will be killed. That is the 3rd world darkness that has descended over America.

today: Member of 'Obama Boyz' gang charged in St. Louis shootings : Stltoday

east st louis is a mess

wednesday: Virtual House Arrest Ordered for Minors in East St. Louis « CBS St. Louis

it's so bad, rape denier todd akin appears to have a real shot at winning clair mccaskill's us senate seat

Todd Akin still has shot in Senate race - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

Why Todd Akin could win - Jeff Smith - POLITICO.com

folks in the suburbs and exurbs of philly, la, detroit, chicago swung between 20 and 30 points towards red from 2008 to 2010

why?

today:

Several dozen students were treated for respiratory and eye irritation after a police officer used pepper spray to get through a crowd to a fight at a Harbor City high school, according fire and school district officials.

A fire department spokesman and a Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman both stated the treatment took place after a school police officer used pepper spray at about 10 a.m. Thursday at Narbonne High School.

In a statement issued at 3 p.m., LAUSD said a fight between two female students broke out during morning nutrition break:

"The fight attracted a large crowd that surrounded the incident, preventing the Los Angeles School Police Officer from coming to the aid of the fallen student. The crowd did not heed commands to disperse by school staff or the officer. Concerned for the safety of the fallen student and for the officer’s own safety, the officer dispensed a short burst of pepper spray into the air to disperse the crowd."

The district said the two students involved had been cited, and that Los Angeles School Police are investigating this as a "use-of-force incident, in accordance with official department policy."

Witnesses said the officer did not give the crowd notice that she was going to use pepper spray.

"The lady just said, 'Disperse.' She didn't give nobody no time to leave, she just started spraying. She was going crazy with the spray," student Jazz Webster said. "People that was walking past that wasn't even involved got sprayed."

Mother Carlisha Jamerson said the fight started when her daughter Ranniyah Ciearria Gill was attacked by girls who had been "bullying" the girl for weeks.

"One girl started swinging and two others came in," Gill said.

Breaking Up Fight, Police Officer Pepper-Sprays Students at Narbonne High | NBC Southern California

This happened in Victorville, and I assume it is California.

Howmany police officers do they have in the whole town. Not many I would think, it is a very small pass-through type place.

It wouldn't surprise me that it took a while for the officers to arrive.

Yes, you are correct. It was "Angela" Merkel that said Multiculturalism was a failure.

Back
Top Bottom