• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama signs bill exempting presidential appointees from Senate confirmation Read mor

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? What were those idiots thinking?

Law exempts presidential appointees from Senate confirmation | The Daily Caller

President Barack Obama signed a bill Friday evening that would exempt some senior-level presidential appointees from Senate confirmation.
Sponsored by Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer and cosponsored by Republicans and Democrats, the bill, now law, weakens the power of the legislature and strengthens the executive branch, critics have warned. The bill skated through the Senate three months after being introduced in 2011 and was passed by the Republican-controlled House 261-116 in July.
The law now allows Obama and future presidents to name appointees to senior positions in every branch of the administration, from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security.

Re: Obama signs bill exempting presidential appointees from Senate confirmation Read

I bet the Dems will screech in horror when President Romney exercises his power under that law next January. But I agree with you, it sounds terrible and I look forward to re-examining the issue when Reid is no longer in charge of the Senate.

Re: Obama signs bill exempting presidential appointees from Senate confirmation Read

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? What were those idiots thinking?

Law exempts presidential appointees from Senate confirmation | The Daily Caller

President Barack Obama signed a bill Friday evening that would exempt some senior-level presidential appointees from Senate confirmation.
Sponsored by Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer and cosponsored by Republicans and Democrats, the bill, now law, weakens the power of the legislature and strengthens the executive branch, critics have warned. The bill skated through the Senate three months after being introduced in 2011 and was passed by the Republican-controlled House 261-116 in July.
The law now allows Obama and future presidents to name appointees to senior positions in every branch of the administration, from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security.

Honestly I don't see a major problem with it. The appointments have moved from being test of someone's competency to a highly partisan affair.

I think the fact that both parties support it shows how ridiculous they believe the appointment process has gotten.

Back
Top Bottom