• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GSA’s financial mess not limited to Vegas shindig

Prof. Peabody

Debate MMA
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
GSA’s financial mess not limited to Vegas shindig

Report cites ‘dynamics issues’

By Luke Rosiak - The Washington Times

Monday, June 11, 2012

The dysfunctional culture that cost regional General Services Administration officials their jobs following the disclosure of an “over-the-top” Las Vegas conference extends beyond the Western states region and further back to previous GSA executives in Washington, records indicate.

In February 2010, then-CFO Kathleen M. Turco told top GSA bosses that the office had $25 million in excess cash, while it actually had $52 million, leaving it $27 million to spend on pet projects, according to a report from the Office of Inspector General.

GSA's financial mess not limited to Vegas shindig - Washington Times

Big Government at it's finest. $27 million to waste on extravagances while the taxpayers who paid that $27 million are struggling to pay our bills and feed our kids. You'd almost think we were in Communist China. Is this the Democrats idea of what Government is for? It's not mine. I doubt it's the idea of most of the millions of unemployed who are either looking or have given up looking for work. The country only needs to elect 19 more Republicans in the House and 13 in the Senate to put a stop to this "in your face" activity by Government workers. I feel it necessary to point out, Government workers have enjoyed under 5% unemployment for all but a month or two of the economic hard times since 2008.

I can't get over how ironic this is. This agency's main mission is to prevent government waste. Foxes guarding the henhouse.

Sadly, every federal agency operates very similar. Towards the last quarter of the fiscal year, you start hearing terms such as "Fallout Funds" or "Spend Down." This has created a culture that actually promotes wasteful spending on things that aren't truly needed. Waste is rewarded while stewardship of taxpayer dollars is pretty much punished.

I thought the only way to stimulate the economy was through federal spending. Should the administration be applauding this?

I thought the only way to stimulate the economy was through federal spending. Should the administration be applauding this?

I believe a whole lotta people in Government get a whole lotta kickbacks on their wasteful spending.

Back
Top Bottom