• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Vet’s Perspective on the Afghan Massacre

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The massacre in Afghanistan is best described by this veteran.

When I read about Staff Sergeant Robert Bales’ alleged massacre in Panjwai, just a few kilometers from that firefight, I thought about that little girl. I wonder how any grown man — an American soldier nonetheless — could stare down 11 children and even consider pulling a trigger. It pains me to think that perhaps even some of the children I helped in Kandahar would have been among the victims. My heart fills with hate toward this man, as do most Americans’.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/03/23/a-vets-perspective-on-the-afghan-massacre/#ixzz1pykCsg6R

Last edited:
It is more than just screening it is periodic maintenance and evaluation. The author is one of the lucky ones.

I’ve personally struggled through life-altering post-traumatic stress. I went through phases of nightmares, severe temper problems and antisocial behavior. I distanced myself from my parents and neglected my health. My outlook on life became cynical and toxic. I was an angry person to be around. And I did only one tour. More important, I’ve had plenty of time to realign my life, and I’m finally taking better care of myself. Had I stayed on the traditional Army career path, I would have been back on a plane to Afghanistan a few months ago, undoing months of progress and deepening the crevices in my emotional life.

A Vet’s Perspective on the Afghan Massacre | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

Very good article. I think it is easy for most Americans to really forget about the hardship on our young troops going back tour after tour.
Everybody likes to applaud the troops when they come through the airport. Then the next day life is back to normal for them in the US. Planning their weekend trips and parties while our boys sit on foreign land day after day.

Back
Top Bottom