• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UPDATE: Judge says White ineligible to serve as Secretary of State

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Secretary of State Charlie White’s two-front fight for his political life could be on its way to the state Supreme Court.

A Marion County judge on Thursday ruled that White was not legally qualified as a candidate for the office he holds, and ordered that Democrat Vop Osili, the second-place finisher in the 2010 election, be installed in his place.

And what is so controversial about this? Charlie White has been indicted for voter fraud (Actually, he is charged with 7 felonies), and has even admitted to committing the crime he has been charged with, even boasting about it last year during his reelection campaign. But in Indiana, the voters love their candidates, and reelected him, despite the fact that he may be in prison soon. I think White could commit murder, and they would still vote for him.

But let's hear more about ACORN, and how horrible "those people" are. LOL.

Article is here.

Last edited:
First off, because one commits fraud does not somehow excuse others. I'm not sure where this line of thinking comes from.

If he committed fraud he should be removed in handcuffs.

First off, because one commits fraud does not somehow excuse others. I'm not sure where this line of thinking comes from.

If he committed fraud he should be removed in handcuffs.

What was the fraud? Was it committed because of his job, during his job, to advance him...what? I must claim ignorance on what he did.

Why not a new election? If the winning candidate was ineligible, obviously people didn't get a real choice, now did they?

In Indiana (as in most states) you must be a registered voter in the state to be eligible to be a candidate in the state. If this fellow has admitted to seven felonies, he likely will not eligible vote much longer assuming he pleads guilty in Court to having committed these crimes.

Indiana Code 3-8-1

As for removing the man from office:
IC 3-8-1-5
Disqualification of candidates
Sec. 5. (a) This section does not apply to a candidate for federal office.
(b) As used in this section, "felony" means a conviction in any jurisdiction for which the convicted person might have been imprisoned for more than one (1) year. However, the term does not include a conviction:
(1) for which the person has been pardoned; or
(2) that has been:
(A) reversed;
(B) vacated;
(C) set aside; or
(D) not entered because the trial court did not accept the person's guilty plea.
(c) A person is disqualified from assuming or being a candidate for an elected office if:
(1) the person gave or offered a bribe, threat, or reward to procure the person's election, as provided in Article 2, Section 6 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana;
(2) the person does not comply with IC 5-8-3 because of a conviction for a violation of the federal laws listed in that statute;
(3) in a:
(A) jury trial, a jury publicly announces a verdict against the person for a felony;
(B) bench trial, the court publicly announces a verdict against the person for a felony; or
(C) guilty plea hearing, the person pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a felony;
(4) the person has been removed from the office the candidate seeks under Article 7, Section 11 or Article 7, Section 13 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana;
(5) the person is a member of the United States armed forces on active duty and prohibited by the United States Department of Defense from being a candidate; or
(6) the person is subject to:
(A) 5 U.S.C. 1502 (the Little Hatch Act); or
(B) 5 U.S.C. 7321-7326 (the Hatch Act);
and would violate either federal statute by becoming or remaining the candidate of a political party for nomination or election to an elected office or a political party office.
(d) The subsequent reduction of a felony to a Class A misdemeanor under IC 35-50-2-7 or IC 35-38-1-1.5 after the:
(1) jury has announced its verdict against the person for a felony;
(2) court has announced its verdict against the person for a felony; or
(3) person has pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to a felony;
does not affect the operation of subsection (c).
As added by P.L.5-1986, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.3-1987, SEC.82; P.L.4-1991, SEC.32; P.L.3-1993, SEC.54; P.L.3-1997, SEC.114; P.L.176-1999, SEC.26; P.L.113-2005, SEC.1; P.L.37-2008, SEC.1.

Last edited:
What was the fraud? Was it committed because of his job, during his job, to advance him...what? I must claim ignorance on what he did.

I don't know. I'm saying that if he is found guilty and in the position that he is, he should be punished to the full extend allowable.

And this is in breaking news why?

Back
Top Bottom