• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving…

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I wonder if these whiners realize that millions of people all across the country work on Thanksgiving.

Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving… | O Hell Nawl - We should have been whooped more as kids
Some Target employees are hoping the giant retailer will rethink its plan to open stores at midnight on Black Friday. They claim the early opening will take many workers away from their families for a big part of Thanksgiving.
Target wants to open up earlier than ever — at 12:01 a.m. that night.
CBS News national correspondent Jim Axelrod reports Target employee Seth Coleman would have to report to work at 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving – too early for him.
Coleman told CBS News, “All Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones and get a good night’s rest on Thanksgiving.”
Coleman decided to fight back — delivering bagfuls of petitions with 190,000 signatures to Target’s headquarters in Minneapolis, Minn., Monday — a campaign started by another Target worker in Omaha, Neb.
Anthony Hardwick, a petition drive organizer, said, “It’s grown exponentially. … It’s just absolutely exploded.”
Target’s human resources director says workers should understand it’s a matter of staying competitive. Anahita Cameron said, “Our guests have expressed that they would prefer to kick off their holiday shopping experience right after the holiday celebrations, rather than getting up in the middle of the night.”

You'd actually think Target, and all the rest of them, could incentivize their employees with double or triple time...or offer the ones who work a bonus of X% of total sales for the store during their "strange hours." I'd think employees would be standing in line.

Coleman decided to fight back — delivering bagfuls of petitions with 190,000 signatures to Target’s headquarters in Minneapolis, Minn., Monday — a campaign started by another Target worker in Omaha, Neb.

He probably drove all night to get there.

My family is more important to me than being forced to work blitz hours at a store - quadrouple time wouldn't be enough to sucker me in.

Others don't mind and that's fine - but people shouldn't have to ruin one of their few real holidays just because they have to earn a paycheck. businesses should respect that and not stomp on everyone's toes.

It annoys me slightly that they value customers more than employees . . . even though the slogan is 'the customer is always right' it's just not always true and this is one of those situations where people - if they want to face blitz hours of shopping - should have to do so anyway. If it's inconvenient - then WHY do they do it?

You'd actually think Target, and all the rest of them, could incentivize their employees with double or triple time...or offer the ones who work a bonus of X% of total sales for the store during their "strange hours." I'd think employees would be standing in line.

Do firemen, police officers, doctors, airport workers and anyone else whose job does not stop just because its the holidays get double or triple time or a an extra bonus?

Do firemen, police officers, doctors, airport workers and anyone else whose job does not stop just because its the holidays get double or triple time or a an extra bonus?

Yes.

NYC municipal employees get time and a half of pay and an extra day of vacation time, if they work on a Federal holiday.

:)

Last edited:
Others don't mind and that's fine - but people shouldn't have to ruin one of their few real holidays just because they have to earn a paycheck. businesses should respect that and not stomp on everyone's toes.

Yeah all those poor doctors, policemen,firefighters, Airport workers and anyone else whose job doesn't stop because its the holidays shouldn't have one of their few real holidays ruined just because they want to earn a paycheck. The nerve of us tax payers, airport owners and businesses not respecting that and stomping on their toes.

Yeah all those poor doctors, policemen,firefighters, Airport workers and anyone else whose job doesn't stop because its the holidays shouldn't have one of their few real holidays ruined just because they want to earn a paycheck. The nerve of us tax payers, airport owners and businesses not respecting that and stomping on their toes.

They are all well aware of what is required in their profession before they begin . . . my mother's office gives a cyclical 'off time' to employees which still permits everyone to have time off - just not all at the same time within the same year.

My mother right now is in the Carolina's - it's her cycle year.

Not sure they all do across the board. Depends on their contract or employment agreement.

I know the feds when working a paid holiday on fires, we were paid 1.25% or an additional quarter time of our base hourly wage. That is unless you were normally scheduled to work that day.

I'm not any of those. I'm a forklift operator, who works in a factory.

On those occasions when they make me work on holidays, I get 2½ times my normal rate of pay.

They are all well aware of what is required in their profession before they begin . . . my mother's office gives a cyclical 'off time' to employees which still permits everyone to have time off - just not all at the same time within the same year.

My mother right now is in the Carolina's - it's her cycle year.

And Working at a large chain store that is competing with other large chain stores on Black Friday and early Black Friday is some how not expected?

And Working at a large chain store that is competing with other large chain stores on Black Friday and early Black Friday is some how not expected?

It's not expected that suddenly a number of stores will decide to open on Midnight, Thanksgiving Day, for heaven's sake...working their employees all through the night. Have a little compassion, for God's sake. I owned my own business. It didn't take too long for me to figure out that when my employees were happy (and that might include their feeling they were just a bit overpaid), my profits went up.

Cheapskate. ;)

In my experience: ones holiday-expectations are explained during interview and orientation before one is hired. I managed at several places - some weren't open on major holidays. I would absolutely understand if we changed our holiday-approach and began to expect employment. Other places try to be accommodating for holidays using cyclical, clout or tenure based models to determine who and when they get a holiday (etc etc).

However - we're not talking about working on holidays in general, here.

We're talking about a store opening earlier, before normal store-opening hours. If holiday hours are not part of an employee's workday or routine it's understandable when it causes problems and throws everyone's schedule and routine off. No one was complaining about their hours last year or the year before - so it seems to me that they just went a bit too far this year by designing a schedule that wouldn't give their late-night employees less chance to actually sleep before work and come well prepared for an unbelievably long and demanding work shift.

Burdening the employee so there's less burden on the customer - makes little sense to me . . . poor managerial ethic.

Now - fo ra place that's open 24/7 like my Walmart . . . there'd be no issue because everyone employed there knows they are open all night and thus accept that they will at some point have to work a night shift.

When you take your existing store-function and change it around - it creates problems and it's understandable when you're employees aren't always thrilled with it.

that's the lovely thing about voluntary employment contracts.. you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

don't want to work on thanksgiving?.. awesome... I got nothing against you not working on thanksgiving.

of course the company you contracted with might have a problem with it... and they might find it necessary to find someone else who will work it... or they might entice you into working it... they have options just as you do.

Sure they do and it's poor managerial ethic . . . one should actually care about their employees but once you're a corporate retail giant you can afford to be an ass I guess. Which is part of the reason I refused to work for one.

Sure they do and it's poor managerial ethic . . . one should actually care about their employees but once you're a corporate retail giant you can afford to be an ass I guess. Which is part of the reason I refused to work for one.

well, i won't work for one either... but that's because they don't pay anywhere near enough for me to commit my time to them.... not because of their business operations or any perceived ethics violations ( I don't believe its bad managerial ethics to have employees work holidays, unless you specifically tell them they don't have to beforehand and make them work anyways).

well, i won't work for one either... but that's because they don't pay anywhere near enough for me to commit my time to them.... not because of their business operations or any perceived ethics violations ( I don't believe its bad managerial ethics to have employees work holidays, unless you specifically tell them they don't have to beforehand and make them work anyways).

For me it was only about my ability to climb the ranks and make a difference or be depended on - I didn't want to be so expendable that my needs would be looked over quickly and I'd be easily replaced.

For me it was only about my ability to climb the ranks and make a difference or be depended on - I didn't want to be so expendable that my needs would be looked over quickly and I'd be easily replaced.

a completely understandable and viable concern...

Hopefully the private sector working class is reaching a point where enough is enough...maybe they are getting fed up with pay that is stagnant the continual TAKING of benefits, hours and life from them for more profit and ceo bonus and maybe they will start taking a stand. They should all unionize and please dont tell me they will all go out of business...some will and good riddance...the strong ones will survive and make even more money "SELLING" their goods to guess who ? the working class who buys the lionshare of everything.

It's not expected that suddenly a number of stores will decide to open on Midnight, Thanksgiving Day, for heaven's sake...working their employees all through the night. Have a little compassion, for God's sake. I owned my own business. It didn't take too long for me to figure out that when my employees were happy (and that might include their feeling they were just a bit overpaid), my profits went up.

Cheapskate. ;)

I work nights 7 days a month. It's not going to kill you. I've had jobs in the past where you were expected to come in and work all night doing inventory. (for minimum wage).

Most retail employee's do or should know that you are going to have to work extra hours during the holiday season.

I wonder if these whiners realize that millions of people all across the country work on Thanksgiving.

Target employees upset about working on Thanksgiving… | O Hell Nawl - We should have been whooped more as kids
Some Target employees are hoping the giant retailer will rethink its plan to open stores at midnight on Black Friday. They claim the early opening will take many workers away from their families for a big part of Thanksgiving.

Define 'some'.

That's really the only word that matters in your failed attack thread.

Back
Top Bottom