• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the poor be denied the right to vote?

Should the poor be denied the right to vote?

• Yes, if they're not paying into the tax base, they should not get a say in how it's used.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No way, are you nuts? The right to vote is fundamental. Any citizen, rich or poor, has that right.

Votes: 28 84.8%

• Total voters

Luna Tick

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This question has been asked here before, but it did not offer reasonable choices. Let's therefore try this again.

Voting for all(for the privileged class ) was an inalienable right.....originally (18th century..)
Now ,the situation has improved, apparently, many conservatives want things to return to the 18th century..
There must be complete separation between money and politics, which we do not begin to have..
And, of course, any "privileged class" must be kept as a black spot in man's development.

Luna Tick, are you trying to prove yourself a lunatic? :lol:

This question has been asked here before, but it did not offer reasonable choices. Let's therefore try this again.

Voting is a right. That is the only reasonable choice possible. Anyone that believes otherwise should ask themselves one simple question. "Would I want my ability to vote be revoked?" If they answer no then saying that others should have thier ability to vote taken away is nothing more than a hypocritical bastard that deserves no respect.

No .. but the rich should be denied the right to vote. ;)

No .. but the rich should be denied the right to vote. ;)

I agree if anyones right to vote should be revoked its the people that buy elections and benefit the most from all the power and influence.

It would be wrong to not allow the poor in general to vote. However, I would support not allowing those who live off the government through welfare/food stamps who do not work. They will always vote democrat because they will always financially support them to secure votes. I think thats wrong and I dont think people who live off the government should have any say in who is elected. I think people who dont work and live off the government should be required to volunteer in some form.

It would be wrong to not allow the poor in general to vote. However, I would support not allowing those who live off the government through welfare/food stamps who do not work. They will always vote democrat because they will always financially support them to secure votes. I think thats wrong and I dont think people who live off the government should have any say in who is elected. I think people who dont work and live off the government should be required to volunteer in some form.

When the "I deserve" people outnumber the "I produce" people the democracy (or representation thereof) will crumble. Think of the school yard, 2 bullies take another's lunch money on a daily basis. Eventually, the bullied kid might fight back. But, when the fighting doesn't work, he'll leave the school. When the benefits of living in the US no longer outweigh the hassle, the best and brightest and most productive will leave. They're already doing it in droves.

I agree, if anyone's right to vote should be revoked, it's the people that buy elections and benefit the most from all the power and influence.

Would you not include trade unions in that group?

As long as an American citizen shows ID and their voter registration card then they should not be denied the right to vote. That said any tax increases should only be voted on only by those who would be paying the tax increase.

As long as an American citizen shows ID and their voter registration card then they should not be denied the right to vote. That said any tax increases should only be voted on only by those who would be paying the tax increase.

I am going to have to be somewhat nuanced in my response to you. Only taxpayers should vote for tax increases? I would say that, maybe sometimes, that should be the case. However, what do taxes pay for? Police officers, for one thing. So now the question becomes "Do we need more police officers on the streets?". Since poor people, as well as tax payers, are victims of crime, then they have a constitutional right to have a say on whether or not more police officers should be hired, regardless of who pays for it. Otherwise, you have unequal representation, which is blatantly unconstitutional.

So the question of whether or not taxpayers only should be able to vote on taxes, while sounding OK on the surface, does not begin to address the real issue it is hiding, which is one of representation and constitutionality.

Last edited:
I am going to have to be somewhat nuanced in my response to you. Only taxpayers should vote for tax increases? I would say that, maybe sometimes, that should be the case. However, what do taxes pay for? Police officers, for one thing. So now the question becomes "Do we need more police officers on the streets?". Since poor people, as well as tax payers, are victims of crime, then they have a constitutional right to have a say on whether or not more police officers should be hired, regardless of who pays for it. Otherwise, you have unequal representation, which is blatantly unconstitutional.

So the question of whether or not taxpayers only should be able to vote on taxes, while sounding OK on the surface, does not begin to address the real issue it is hiding, which is one of representation and constitutionality.
Don't cities pay for police and cities use sales taxes pay for police? SO if they were to vote on a tax increase it would be a sales tax increase something which everybody pays and everybody would get to vote on since everybody pays sales taxes.

Letting people vote on taxes they won't pay is a disastrous idea. Because I am pretty sure if conservatives said hey lets add extra taxes homosexual videos, clubs and other homosexual related stuff, the same damn people saying lets tax the **** out of the rich would be screaming bloody murder on how thats not fair. Too many people are for tax increases as long as they are not the ones going to pay for it.

Last edited:
"Should the poor be denied the right to vote?"

simple and only answer is NO
if you dont not like this answer you are probably in the wrong country.

Nice generalization there. Got any proof of that?

Don't cities pay for police and cities use sales taxes pay for police? SO if they were to vote on a tax increase it would be a sales tax increase something which everybody pays and everybody would get to vote on since everybody pays sales taxes.

States get thier money to pay for police several ways. One is sales tax yes. Another however is through the federal government.

I will agree that those who receive food stamps should not be allowed to vote so long as those who are executives or shareholders of corporations who receive government contracts should not be allowed to vote either.

If you live in this country and use or pay for any service that is provided by the government, it is appropriate for you to have a say in how those services are provided. Hence, regardless of economics, an individual should have the right to vote.

I'm suprised anyone would even question that statement, but there is plenty of evidence to support it.When you rely on the government, you tend to vote for whoever promises the most aid, which has always been the Democrats. I'm at work so I dont have time to find a really good study but after 10 seconds of searching I found this study. TANF Table 21 on the HHS website Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Percent Distribution of TANF recipients by Ethnicity/Race shows in nearly all southern red states blacks (voting 96% Democrat in the last election) make up 60-85% of welfare recipients. In Mississippi, in 2007-08, 87.1% of those on welfare were black. In Louisiana 78%, in Georgia 81.2%, in Arkansas 60.9%, in North Carolina 63.9%, in S. Carolina 71.7%, in Virginia 61.1%, in Tennessee 68.2%. I am not trying to make this a racial thing, its just the only study that I found with my limited time. On top of the racial basis for proof that it's mostly Democrats in those red states on welfare, those in poverty as a whole nationally voted about 78% Democrat in 2008.

I'm only in favor of denying voting rights to others who want to deny voting rights.

If you live in this country and use or pay for any service that is provided by the government, it is appropriate for you to have a say in how those services are provided

What about a say in who pays for those services? I think that's the rub.

even if the poor is permitted to vote,the money monsters go on heading the world....

Unions are definitely in that group; the problem isn't "letting" people vote, it is corrupting the process by giving anyone, or any group, a financial incentive to do so.

Are you freaking kidding me? What 5 unamerican idiots actually voted that way??? Thankfully this country will never listen to you.

A government that the poor couldn't vote for would have no moral authority to make laws that would bind the poor.

Besides, what would the point of the change ultimately be? To take even more power from the already disempowered and give it to the already powerful? Just flat out evil for the sake of evil? Sometimes I wonder which side you guys root for when you watch Star Wars...

Back
Top Bottom