• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you enjoy it when others fail?(schadenfreude)

Do you enjoy it when others fail?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I just want to see this thread fail.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Utility Man

Sidewalk Inspector
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Please answer honestly.

Schadenfreude: is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others(This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages).

An English word of similar meaning is "gloating", where "gloat" is defined as "to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight" (gloat over an enemy's misfortune).

Schadenfreude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends entirely on the person and in what manner they're trying to succeed. I would, for example, feel extreme pleasure at a rapist's failure (and possible injury).

If they fail at something I do not want them succeeding at then yes I enjoy it when they fail.

As a general question no...I do not wish others to fail. Having said that I am as human as anyone else with likes, dislikes and loathings such as the example tessaque used...so yes there are times I derive great pleasure from the failings of others...

Please answer honestly.

Schadenfreude: is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others(This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages).

An English word of similar meaning is "gloating", where "gloat" is defined as "to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight" (gloat over an enemy's misfortune).

No! I may envy other's success occasionally, but failure usually hurts and generates sympathy. There can be exceptions.

It depends on the type and level of failure in addition to the relationship I have with that person. In general, no I don't enjoy other people's failures. In specific circumstances, however, I do. And example of such a circumstance would be if someone is bragging while beating me in a competition and then they lose.

I want certain athletes to fail, not get hurt, but play badly.

No! I may envy other's success occasionally, but failure usually hurts and generates sympathy. There can be exceptions.

Since this my feeling as well, I'll quote you.

I too don't feel pleasure in the failures of others, even if a proven to the nth degree murderer is put to death. I don't feel, specifically, sad for them, just general sadness over the circumstances, but definitely not glee.

Even people who have wronged me, I don't feel good when they experience bad luck or karma.

Sometimes, yes. It depends on what the person is trying to do, and my past history with them.

Depends on whether they deserve to fail or not, and whether they fail in an amusing way or not.

Also, this thread needs moar fail.

no, i don't.

Schadenfreude ist der schönste freude.

Please answer honestly.

If they had it coming.

I absolutely do when it is someone who is up to no good or doing something to hurt my Family, Friends, or Nation.

I will jump for joy to see some people fail in the 2010 election.

I absolutely do when it is someone who is up to no good or doing something to hurt my Family, Friends, or Nation.

I will jump for joy to see some people fail in the 2010 election.

Speaking of fail, it's already 2011. :D

You should look at your avatar for real fail.

LOL, touché. Not much I can really say to that after last Sunday. Still, I'll keep the faith. I'm used to it.

Depends... as with many. If I don't like the person or am in competition with the person or if their failure simply makes me laugh, then yes.

Back
Top Bottom