• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S., Mexico sign trucking agreements

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Say bye bye to more American jobs.

U.S., Mexico sign trucking agreements - World Report - World - Dalje.com
MEXICO CITY, July 6 (UPI) -- U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and his Mexican counterpart signed agreements resolving a dispute over long-haul, cross-border trucking services.

The new program, signed Wednesday in Mexico City by LaHood and Mexico's secretary of communications and transportation, Arturo Perez-Jacome Friscione, paves the way for Mexico to lift retaliatory tariffs it imposed more than two years ago on more than $2 billion in U.S. manufactured goods and agricultural products, the U.S. Transportation Department said in a release.

Mexico will suspend 50 percent of the retaliatory tariffs within 10 days and the remaining tariffs within five days of the first Mexican trucking company receiving its U.S. operating authority, officials said.

The tariffs are expected to disappear within a few months, Transportation officials said.

This is nuts. Have you ever seen the kind of shape Mexican trucks are in?

The last thing I want to see is a Mexican Trucker coming up from behind me on the Freeway.

Chances are they drivers won't be able to read traffic signs in English let alone being able to read period.

Some people have no regard for public safety. All they care about is Mexican and illegal votes, and I see that as Anti-American racism.

This is nuts. Have you ever seen the kind of shape Mexican trucks are in?

The last thing I want to see is a Mexican Trucker coming up from behind me on the Freeway.

Chances are they drivers won't be able to read traffic signs in English let alone being able to read period.

Some people have no regard for public safety. All they care about is Mexican and illegal votes, and I see that as Anti-American racism.

From the linked article;

Trucks from Mexico must comply with U.S. motor vehicle safety standards and must have electronic monitoring systems to track hours-of-service compliance, U.S officials said. Also, the department will review the driving record of each driver, require drug testing samples to be analyzed in Department of Health and Human Services-certified laboratories and require an assessment of a driver's ability to understand English and U.S. traffic signs.

Mexican trucks have been on U.S. highways for some time now.

I work in the industry and can tell you that the industry as a whole has been really struggling these past few years. Many US carriers have gone belly up. This is only going to drive the remaining American based carriers out of business.

Oh, yeah?? Who is going to fix those trucks? Bad enough they will hurt our already hurting American truckers, but check this out!! If this doesn't make you mad.....

U.S. funds, Arizona effort help Mexico trucks pollute less

U.S. funds, Arizona effort help Mexico trucks pollute less
153 comments
by Shaun McKinnon - Apr. 11, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

***read the comments***

This is where I live.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom