• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Nygren knocked off ballot in Hansen recall election

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Madison -- State elections officials Monday took a Republican Assembly lawmaker off the ballot in a recall election against a Democratic senator.
The state Government Accountability Board voted unanimously to leave Rep. John Nygren (R-Marinette) off the ballot in the July 19 recall election for Sen. Dave Hansen (D-Green Bay) in the 30th Senate District. The board found that Nygren fell just short of collecting the 400 valid nominating signatures needed to qualify for the ballot, finding he collected only 398 valid signatures.

How in the hell does one **** this up? After collecting more than 15,000 signatures, and successfully forcing a recall election against a Democrat that is vulnerable, their best shot at taking him out fails to gather a mere 400 votes to put himself in the driver's seat. The candidate now taking on Hansen has a checkered past, which gives him practically no chance to pick Hansen off, which up until now was practically a sure thing. In hockey terminology, you can call this one a giveaway by the GOP.

I had already made a prediction that the Democrats would only pick up 2 Wisconsin Senate seats, which is one short of the 3 that they need to pick up to take over that body. Now I am going to have to revise my prediction. The Democrats now get the three they need, due to some of the grossest political incompetence you will ever see.

Article is here.

How in the hell does one **** this up? After collecting more than 15,000 signatures, and successfully forcing a recall election against a Democrat that is vulnerable, their best shot at taking him out fails to gather a mere 400 votes to put himself in the driver's seat. The candidate now taking on Hansen has a checkered past, which gives him practically no chance to pick Hansen off, which up until now was practically a sure thing. In hockey terminology, you can call this one a giveaway by the GOP.

I had already made a prediction that the Democrats would only pick up 2 Wisconsin Senate seats, which is one short of the 3 that they need to pick up to take over that body. Now I am going to have to revise my prediction. The Democrats now get the three they need, due to some of the grossest political incompetence you will ever see.

Article is here.

idiocy. I could get 400 signatures.

he is challenging the ruling.

He wouldn't even need to be challenging the ruling if he had gone for, say, 800 signatures, which is still as easy as falling down.

How in the hell does one **** this up?

Rules defining what constitutes a "valid" signature are quite technical. For example, let's say a voter is registered as "Joseph M. Smith." If he signs anything other than how his name appears on voter registration records e.g., "Joe Smith," his signature can be struck if challenged. The same applies to residency. If one was registered at "1 Lake Street," moved but did not change his/her voter registration records, and then lists his/her current address (which differs from official records), his/her signature would also be struck. Moreover, in some states, the nominating petitions containing the signatures need to be notarized. If that requirement is not met, the entire petition is "spoiled" and all the signatures are invalidated. In short, those collecting signatures need to make sure everything is technically correct. In addition, gathering some number of signatures above the minimum requirement can provide a cushion.

Rules defining what constitutes a "valid" signature are quite technical. For example, let's say a voter is registered as "Joseph M. Smith." If he signs anything other than how his name appears on voter registration records e.g., "Joe Smith," his signature can be struck if challenged. The same applies to residency. If one was registered at "1 Lake Street," moved but did not change his/her voter registration records, and then lists his/her current address (which differs from official records), his/her signature would also be struck. Moreover, in some states, the nominating petitions containing the signatures need to be notarized. If that requirement is not met, the entire petition is "spoiled" and all the signatures are invalidated. In short, those collecting signatures need to make sure everything is technically correct. In addition, gathering some number of signatures above the minimum requirement can provide a cushion.

Ya think? Looks like somebody didn't. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom