• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

National sovereignty

Is national sovereignty possible today?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • National sovereignty is nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canell

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
We live in a globalized world. But what about national sovereignty? Is it possible in geopolitics?

:roll:

Other nations are always going to meddle. That's just the nature of things. But the only real threat to national sovereignty on a global scale are multinational corporations.

Wiki:
Westphalia (1648), which, in relation to states, codified the basic principles:

territorial integrity
border inviolability
supremacy of the state (rather than the Church)
a sovereign is the supreme lawmaking authority within its jurisdiction.[

My bad! :2mad:

I meant more like "independent" rather "sovereign".

Could a NATO country be independent? How about an EU country? Third world country? :confused:

Other nations are always going to meddle. That's just the nature of things. But the only real threat to national sovereignty on a global scale are multinational corporations.

When bodies outside of your country start to make economic decisions for your country I would call that more of a threat than any kind of company.

I have to answer no, its not possible today.

Last edited:

Could a NATO country be independent? How about an EU country? Third world country? :confused:
Unlikely, as I understand things.

Hell, even the US is not independent, although it may be more so than some.

But the economies of the various countries are so intertwined these days, it's unlikely a given country could become totally independent without causing harm to themselves and others.

That said, third world countries would be less of an issue than, say, the UK.

Especially those that produce nothing or very little.

The larger and more affluent countries tend to import and export alot more, so...

---------------

Of course, that all depends on how you define "independent" in this case.

The countries tha ar esolely dependent to theirselves suffer for it.

It's not ideal in today's more advanced world.

When bodies outside of your country start to make economic decisions for your country I would call that more of a threat than any kind of company.

You mean like United Fruit?

You mean like United Fruit?

While its actions are suspected to of caused damage to many Latin countries, its has never been proven to be responsible for any such damages. The company was however intertwined with many of those countries governments, and helped to support certain services of certain countries government. Also it was never a monopoly as it maintained competitors, though they weak in comparison, through its existence. I think you will be hard pressed in fact to find an actual monopoly that wasn't government assisted to exist, this company is not it and neither is oil. I would like to see your example though.

Still, is it measurable to losing your ability to run your country by having another body outside of your control making laws you must follow? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom