• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police: Maine Father Shot Wife, Children Inside Home

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Lake, 37, shot and killed 38-year-old schoolteacher Amy Lake and their two children, 12-year-old Monica and 13-year-old Cote, with a shotgun before killing himself Monday morning, Wright said. Police also found a flammable liquid poured around the inside of the house, but it wasn't ignited.

Steven Lake was awaiting trial for allegedly holding his family hostage last year in Wellington, where he most recently lived, Wright said. He was free on bail but was barred from contacting his family.

Wright said investigators "may never ever know" what pushed Lake over the edge.

Mylon Lake, of Harmony, told the AP that Steven Lake was his nephew and had been angry over a child custody dispute. Steven and Amy Lake at one time had shared custody, but Steven had recently lost his right to see the children and was particularly upset about the graduation ceremony, he said.

A Dexter police officer went to check on Amy Lake at 8 a.m. Monday at her tidy two-story red clapboard home on the north shore of Lake Wassookeag when she didn't show up for work at the Ridge View Community School and when Steven Lake's car was spotted in her driveway. The officer heard multiple gunshots after pulling into the driveway and called for help.

Neighbor Phil Kreider said local police officers had been checking on Amy Lake every day because she had a restraining order on her husband.

Police: Maine Father Shot Wife, Children Inside Home - FoxNews.com

Some things don't make any sense to me.

1) If he had done this BEFORE (held his ex and children hostage) then WHY are people acting as if he was normal and then *poof* he flipped out and killed them on unsuspecting day? . . like here:
Wright said investigators "may never ever know" what pushed Lake over the edge.
They write this as if there was no thought that he'd possibly do this - but he was an obvious danger - continuously. It wasn't the son's missed graduation or denial for custody or visitation - all of that happened because daddio was already a nutjob waiting to crack wide open . . . Geesh people. It's not a mystery: he was a contro lfreak who lost is control victim and couldn't handle that.

2) If they KNEW he was a danger and were checking in on the family EVERY DAY then why did 7 hours go by before they attempted to ENTER the home after they first arrived at the scene early in the morning?

3) Why the **** didn't she haul ass and move the **** away - complete relocation adn even a name change?

Just - what the ****?

Last edited:
I'd like to know why a man who held his own family hostage was allowed out on bail in the first place. What the Hell was the judge thinking?

I agree with Aunt Spiker that the woman should have hauled ass out of the state and gone inyo hidding, but that can be very hard and expensive.

I put the blame for this squarely on the justice system that failed the victims without any doubt at all.

This is almost too much to deal with because I have seen it too many times and once a very similar outcome tool place in my family when I was 13.

You can ask yourself why from now on and you will never really know why someone snapped.

I feel so bad for the rest of the family left behind.

It cannot be emphasized enough that we cannot count on anyone but ourselves to ensure our own protection. It's tragic that the cost of this lesson had to come at such a high price.

I'd like to know why a man who held his own family hostage was allowed out on bail in the first place. What the Hell was the judge thinking?

It's cruel to leave a man in jail without a trial, he had rights too ya know man.

And, I might point out that the story about mass man slaughter here, came from Dexter Maine. I find this mildly amusing.

It's cruel to leave a man in jail without a trial, he had rights too ya know man.

And, I might point out that the story about mass man slaughter here, came from Dexter Maine. I find this mildly amusing.

Oh shame on you! Dexter's a good guy.

Tell that to Sgt. Doakes

Dexter did not kill Doakes - that was Lila. And then Dexter took her out - so that's squared up. But then again - he did let Doakes take blame post mortem. . . eh - conflicted, perhaps - but not bad :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom