View Poll Results: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • purgatory

    0 0%
  • Mary remained a virgin

    5 20.00%
  • Jesus ascended into Heaven "bodily"

    1 4.00%
  • we should pray to saints

    2 8.00%
  • Indulgences (when not abused)

    1 4.00%
  • Limbo

    1 4.00%
  • babies should be baptized

    1 4.00%
  • other

    14 56.00%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 211 to 218 of 218

Thread: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

  1. #211
    Educator Blue Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by narrowroad View Post
    that is what you have been told. I have studied both the Bible and Church history and Church teaching

    The Catholics are far more faithful to the Bible than any other "church"

    True Catholicism, that is... there are a lot of phonies in the Church..
    I have toured many cathedrals and they all have confession boxes. Why would they have those if Catholics believe it is not necessary to confess to a priest to be forgiven for their sins? If Catholics believed it is unnecessary, they could pray out in the open like Protestants do.

    And if they don't worship Mary, why are so many Catholic churches NAMED AFTER HER?
    Democratic voter for life

  2. #212
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Donkey View Post
    I have toured many cathedrals and they all have confession boxes. Why would they have those if Catholics believe it is not necessary to confess to a priest to be forgiven for their sins? If Catholics believed it is unnecessary, they could pray out in the open like Protestants do.

    And if they don't worship Mary, why are so many Catholic churches NAMED AFTER HER?
    why do people name their children after grandparents? they worship the grandparents?

    that doesn't pass the logic test

    Catholics do not worship Mary, they pray to her, meaning they talk to her... as I am "talking" to you right now. Do I worship you by talking to you? I hope you don't think so...

    confession to a priest is in the Bible. Jesus said to the 12 Whoever's sins you retain will be retained..." (etc...

    He also said

    Which is easier: to say, Pick up your mat or Your sins are forgiven?

    and so it is given to man to forgive sins.

    We also are told to forgive others or we will not be forgiven.. so ALL are called to forgive (absolve)

    However, confession t o a priest is a sacrament....

  3. #213
    Educator Blue Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    I was told the reason for confession to a priest is a belief we are not forgiven for our sins any other way. But the Bible tells us to ask God directly for forgiveness and Jesus forgave us for our sins on the cross. So the idea that we must confess to a priest to be forgiven is unbiblical.

    Praying to Mary and the saints is also unbiblical because again, Scripture tells us to pray to GOD Himself directly. Nowhere does the Bible say we should pray to the saints, who were sinners like the rest of us.

    How is saying, "Hail Mary" not worshiping her?
    Democratic voter for life

  4. #214
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Donkey View Post
    I was told the reason for confession to a priest is a belief we are not forgiven for our sins any other way. But the Bible tells us to ask God directly for forgiveness and Jesus forgave us for our sins on the cross. So the idea that we must confess to a priest to be forgiven is unbiblical.

    Praying to Mary and the saints is also unbiblical because again, Scripture tells us to pray to GOD Himself directly. Nowhere does the Bible say we should pray to the saints, who were sinners like the rest of us.

    How is saying, "Hail Mary" not worshiping her?
    show me where it says what you claim

    in the Bible?

    I have read the whole thing, didn't find anything like that

  5. #215
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,079

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Donkey View Post
    Atheism is a religion to me. A belief no god exists is a belief about God.
    Nope, it is a non-belief. I have no belief in the existence of any god or gods.
    Originally Posted by Mashmont
    "Because the right isn't hate-filled."

    "the perfect nature of the Catholic Church"-Mashmont

  6. #216
    Sage
    Elvira's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Down South
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,469

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by narrowroad View Post
    show me where it says what you claim

    in the Bible?

    I have read the whole thing, didn't find anything like that
    Actually, in our sinful, imperfect state, we are NOT to pray to God directly...the only way to be heard by God is to pray to Him through Jesus Christ...he is our mediator, no one else...

    For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus," 1 Timothy 2:5

    "Now I urge you, brothers, through our Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the spirit, that you exert yourselves with me in prayers to God for me," Romans 15:30

    "Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

    "...what you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you." John 15:16
    "For whoever becomes ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. Mark 8:38

  7. #217
    Educator Blue Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by narrowroad View Post
    show me where it says what you claim.

    in the Bible?

    I have read the whole thing and didn't find anything like that
    What about the first commandment, that we shall have no other gods before Him because he is the only god? Praying to Mary. hailing her, making Mary statues, and calling her "Our Lady" are idolatry.
    Democratic voter for life

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,367

    Re: which is most difficult to believe of all Catholic doctrine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    You tell me...what denominations have rituals and traditions that are not in the Bible?
    I'm asking you what denominations have rituals and traditions that are not in the Bible. Why can't you answer a simple question?

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •