View Poll Results: Which Generattion Are YOU?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • G.I./Greatest Generation, born between 1901 1926.

    0 0%
  • Mature/Silent Generation, born between 1927 1945.

    3 2.78%
  • Baby Boomers, born between 1946 1964.

    43 39.81%
  • Generation X, born between 1965 1980.

    33 30.56%
  • Generation Y/ Millennials, born between 1981 2000.

    28 25.93%
  • Generation Z/ Boomlets, born after 2001.

    1 0.93%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116

Thread: Which Generation Are YOU?

  1. #41
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Thank God I wasn't born a few months later.


  2. #42
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    47,082

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Gen X here. I think all those generational descriptors are stupid and wrong.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #43
    Pissant for Years
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,576
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I actually voted in the poll and it is an open poll so you can see who voted for what generation.

    In point of fact I consider myself more of a Classical Liberal, but whenever I take "The Political Compass Test" found at this link: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test I land in "Libertarian-Left."

    You can also view several of my positions in this blog: https://www.debatepolitics.com/blogs...ce-myself.html

    Probably because I believe (among other things like gay marriage, pro-choice, legalization of drugs) there should be a national education standard with a system of public education (that parents can opt their children out of) since I believe that an educated citizen is better able to make informed decisions.

    However, over the last couple of decades I have been very disappointed with the educational system, something along the lines that you pointed out with how your daughter has been taught, or should I say "indoctrinated" in falsehoods?
    The public school system didn't indoctrinate her, they didn't give her enough.
    The indoctrination in falsehoods has been at the hands of social media shared by her peers...to be specific: "Hitler was a liberal/Nazism is socialism" and "not invented here".

    The reason you can't reconcile your "classical liberal" positions is because for the most part, classical liberals are pretty much today's right wing libertarians. That doesn't automatically mean you're lining up to congratulate ALEC or cheering for the Koch Brothers, but you may have more in common with Rand Paul than you think, and he's no liberal.

    But what puts you in the Libertarian Left category is that you would like to see the nation do better in public education, maybe even higher education. I agree. You should consider coming over to the dark side. As another liberal on DP keeps saying, "We have cookies". (yum)

    After all, you can always harangue us about all our stupid social justice warriors and push us to adopt a more friendly attitude toward the second amendment. Some of us are more okay with the 2A than you might believe.

    The reason I never became a libertarian is because I know that GOOD government doesn't necessarily have to be HUGE but if it's good and well run, it can do some stuff that individuals can't to HELP individuals...heavy lifting.
    I realize that libertarians aren't fans of heavy lifting because they worry that Uncle Sam will come around with onerous regulations. But consider the fact that the entire South isn't still on kerosene lamps and the Interstate System exists because Uncle Sam got involved. Meanwhile, some of our biggest adversaries can't get between two of their biggest cities without negotiating frozen swamps or untamed stretches of cruel desert.

    Oh wait, you are PARTLY CORRECT!
    The Texas public schools left my daughter (and my son) with almost ZERO US and World History but four years of Texas History, most of it taught from the Lost Cause perspective...and the "teach the controversy" perspective about Creationism.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I really like the 75% approval rating. It's so impressive when the left is defeated decisively. Brazil has several right wing parties, so there is no danger of a one party state.

  4. #44
    Guru

    JMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Not over the edge yet
    Last Seen
    01-18-19 @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,423

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Well, I am not a "psychologist" thus not all that motivated to be "touchy-feely."

    I used the first two cites pulled up when I searched "generation names" and the most iconic descriptions for each generation.

    While there was no intended "insult" there was also no impetus to be "P.C."

    I find it interesting that taking offense at some pretty typical descriptors (rather than either laughing them off or commenting about it while voting as some did) would prevent someone from participating.
    Interesting that in your view "Psychologist" leads directly to "touchy-feely" In fact a definition:
    A psychologist studies normal and abnormal mental states from cognitive, emotional, and social processes and behavior by observing, interpreting, and recording how individuals relate to one another and to their environments.[
    As such, I think they might be well qualified to describe generational behavior. Sociologists probably better qualified, but the very word tends to set off a huge segment of the population. I do see how in our country the ideas of a Marketing guru would be given higher status unfortunately.

    "Pretty typical" descriptors used to mock others are not helpful. You can see how that worked by looking at some of the posts that followed.

    Maybe a little PC might help in understanding other generations a bit better. Unfortunately I lost my last living relative from the Greatest Generation recently. I have living relatives representing all the other generations, and think they are all fine people, all mocked a bit by the Market Teacher.

  5. #45
    Educator
    Conaeolos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,158

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    One thing I know for sure, you're Libertarian-Right, not Left...well certainly "more Right than Left" anyway.
    Forget the nuance, I am not even sure labels are grasping underlying themes these days. I without fail fall on any political gage or test I've taken test almost dead centre(independent), this despite not shying away from strong positions. When there is a lean it is libertarian - social right. That is with one exception: Pew's Political Typology Quiz which put me on its farthest right group: Core Conservative. And of those who I feel best reflect my similar views the journalistic labels tends to be "right" / "far right", sometimes but not always distinguishing from ethnonationalist / alt-right types.

    With all the new information available today, I think we gotten far too complex and nuanced for social left - right | authoritarian <-> libertarian. After all, I likely have more disagreement with radical libertarian than moderate authoritarian. There is little I disagree with progressives in terms of stated principles, it's all down to our polar opposite methods of implementation. And I'd support a fiscally sound authoritarian social progressive over a fiscally wreckless authoritarian social conservative any day of the week.

    I blame us millennials (the new generation of journalists) failing to learn what a label means before using it in common parlance. OR maybe it was the boomers flipping 'liberals' from meaning 'social reformer' to the "cultural conservative" of norms of today, making traditional conservatives "social reformers". Of course "the radicals" constant rebrands from progressives, to socialists,to marxists, to anarcists,to communists, to libertarian-left.... Just makes it all that much more confusing. So who really knows

  6. #46
    Guru HumblePi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When the use of generation letters started to be used it was dumb to use X, Y and Z. What letter are generations born in 2021 (and beyond) going to be assigned?

    Also odd is that generations contain a variable number of years.
    If we don't work to reduce the significant growth in global energy-related carbon dioxide emissions in 2017, we can call them 'Generation C02'
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
    - George Orwell -

  7. #47
    Pissant for Years
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,576
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conaeolos View Post
    Forget the nuance, I am not even sure labels are grasping underlying themes these days. I without fail fall on any political gage or test I've taken test almost dead centre(independent), this despite not shying away from strong positions. When there is a lean it is libertarian - social right. That is with one exception: Pew's Political Typology Quiz which put me on its farthest right group: Core Conservative. And of those who I feel best reflect my similar views the journalistic labels tends to be "right" / "far right", sometimes but not always distinguishing from ethnonationalist / alt-right types.

    With all the new information available today, I think we gotten far too complex and nuanced for social left - right | authoritarian <-> libertarian. After all, I likely have more disagreement with radical libertarian than moderate authoritarian. There is little I disagree with progressives in terms of stated principles, it's all down to our polar opposite methods of implementation. And I'd support a fiscally sound authoritarian social progressive over a fiscally wreckless authoritarian social conservative any day of the week.

    I blame us millennials (the new generation of journalists) failing to learn what a label means before using it in common parlance. OR maybe it was the boomers flipping 'liberals' from meaning 'social reformer' to the "cultural conservative" of norms of today, making traditional conservatives "social reformers". Of course "the radicals" constant rebrands from progressives, to socialists,to marxists, to anarcists,to communists, to libertarian-left.... Just makes it all that much more confusing. So who really knows
    LOL, now I think I "get" you.
    Ever hear of "The Horseshoe Theory"?
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I really like the 75% approval rating. It's so impressive when the left is defeated decisively. Brazil has several right wing parties, so there is no danger of a one party state.

  8. #48
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Oak Grove, MA
    Last Seen
    01-08-19 @ 11:16 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    From 1940's, early therein, but hardly silent. But somehow I can't rise to violent protest. Still.....being non-violent does NOT mean silent.

  9. #49
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Universe
    Last Seen
    01-17-19 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    Generation Y here, I feel like we are the ones that care about what the other people have to say.

  10. #50
    Classical Liberal Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,902
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Generation Are YOU?

    We're at Post 50.

    The counts are getting more mixed. 45 voted in the poll.

    17 (38%) are Babyboomers

    16 (36%) are Generation X.

    11 (24%) are Generation Y/Millennials.

    1 (2 %) is Generation Z/Boomlets.


    I don't think we'll be hearing from anyone in the Silent Generation, and clearly unlikely for the GI/Greatest Generation. We'll see.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 01-08-19 at 09:24 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •