View Poll Results: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 64.58%
  • No

    6 12.50%
  • Maybe/Other/Something Else

    11 22.92%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 234

Thread: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

  1. #211
    Moderate Conservative
    enderpotato00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California, USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,110

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
    of course Trump gives us fake /lying news everyday... the Russians,, Trump friends do too. Fox straight up lies anf give false info...
    Ok. But you could say the same thing about MSNBC or CNN. Both have a very big liberal bias and lie a lot too.
    Democrat, hell no. Republican, no. Conservative, yes.

  2. #212
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    793

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I consider the MSM to be the main conveyor of "Fake News" and we need to get pre ordained agenda narratives out of the MSM. Of course, since the MSM is controlled by only 5 or 6 individuals it presents the Corporatism can run amok syndrome. Also the buying power of the MSM's "for sale" marketing mechanisms.
    /
    and i believe Fox News is the largest purveyor of fake news. they have brainwashed a large segment of our population with total BS. Made a lot of money feeding red meat to their followers feeding their hatred, bigotry and fear.

  3. #213
    Back
    tecoyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,381

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You think that reprters are impartial? :lo:
    Of course newspapers, TV....all of media carries bias, just as we all do. That however IS NOT what you typed, now is it?
    Illusionary

  4. #214
    Advisor HK.227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    553

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Is "news" that is purposefully false or misleading something we should be battling against as our enemy? Why or why not?
    In what context? Present day America or in general?
    If in general, we already have the pertinent data. Nazi Germany's state apparatus was very successful in molding the minds of its citizens via fake news. So was the Soviet Union's for a long time, and to some extent those of China and Russia (and certainly other examples as well) still are today. Only by the fact of being in the middle of the forest do I abstain from claiming to be able to clearly see the relevant tree that is Western news media.

    How to avoid undue influence is well established also.
    Avoid all state interference, except to protect freedom of information. Historical fact is that States are unable to control the news media without regular abuses of that power occurring. Of course this presents a problem in regards to private entitites abusing their media influence themselves, or on behalf of some foreign agent. Historically this has been countered by establishing media watchdogs, however these usually consist of media persons, creating a conflict of interest. Aside from documenting and reporting on falsehoods and manipulation, there is unfortunately very little you can do without setting the precedent for yet more media manipulation.

    But of course fake news is an enemy of the people. Just like used car salesmen, lawyers, you, me, my aunt, soda cans, etc. are to some degree or other. The question is where you set the boundaries for specific types of intervention.
    Ok, that does it! I waste Professor Plum with the lead pipe.
    Oh yeah? Well say hello to my little friend, Colonel Mustard! Candlestick to the face!
    This is the last time I'm playing Clue with you two...

  5. #215
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,788

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is nothing new though... reporters are pieces of **** that are not impartial and they have been like this forever...
    They are almost as deceitful as politicians are, but not nearly as deceitful as some politicians
    At the EC speed skating our Dutch competitors honor Paulien van Deutekom and lament the horror that is cancer. RIP Paulien

  6. #216
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    332

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Is "news" that is purposefully false or misleading something we should be battling against as our enemy? Why or why not?
    News isn't generally fake. It can be biased against trump but not fake. News and news entertainment is only reacting to Trump utterances and action or inaction. Labeling the press as the enemy of the people is un American. It is populist authoritarian demagoguery. People who yak about adhering to the Constitution's textual originality out of one side of their mouth and fall right in behind Trump's enemy of the people delusion are inconsistent hypocrites. People who have lived long enough to have seen multiple Presidents should be able to see the difference between normal amounts of news reporting and the bizarre amounts generated moment by moment by this President. People are bombarded daily by Trump news. I seldom see anything that is really fake and wish the people who buy into Trump's demagoguery would start citing specific examples of what is fake. Trump himself is not given to citing specific examples of what he thinks is fake. Misleading is only your opinion. Fake or incorrect almost never. Biased against Trump yes, consider the source that is spitting out all this news.

  7. #217
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    82,007

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Tabloids have been around forever. Only idiots are incapable of critical evaluation and no amount of regulations or standards will ever change that. People need to stop blaming others, expecting to be spoon fed their truth and otherwise acting like automatons. If someone believes everything they read, from any source, they're hopeless.

    Fake news is not an enemy. Stupid people are.
    Leftwingers I suppose have plenty of time, but the rest of us have jobs. If you have to hunt around through ten or more sites to find someone not feeding out the preordained bull**** that's a problem, because networks don't have the ****ing ethics to be honest. Sure there are plenty of stupid people, and plenty of people with journalism degrees too that don't know what the word unbiased means. They think journalism means making a difference, not reporting things as they are.

    The other part is this, if I don't post articles from your favorites sites, then you say I'm posting uncorroborated news, so if your favorite sites all report lies, then what? Think about it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  8. #218
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    646

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Media is big business. There is a lot of competition and news shows have had to figure out a way to stretch one hour of daily news facts into 24 hours of coverage. The fluffing of one hour into 24 hours appears to involve opinions, which tells their audience what they want to hear. It is only called fake news, if a news sources does not tell you what you want to hear.

    One is better off not calling this news, since only one hour a day is news and 23 out of 24 hours is mind bubble gum. Bubble gum can be fun, but has little nutritional value. As we chew it loses its flavor and you will need a new piece each day.

    Another consideration has to do with free market forces. FOX news is number one. This amounts to more money and more profit from advertisers, since a larger audience is worth more. Audience share is what they sell to advertisers. This largest audience equals revenue stream allows FOX to buy the best talent. They are like the NY Yankees with a huge talent budget. CNN sort of gets the second round draft picks. They get people who are more limited in terms of real investigative journalism skills.Their format is to set up news, like the gong show, for a niche audience. They cater to emotions instead of reason due to less talented staff.

    Trump has been a blessing for CNN since it has increased their audience share. This means more money for talent. However, they don't seem to want to spend it on better talent. This could be corporate greed. The gong show format may be a permanent thing.

    Gong Show; In this amateur talent contest, three celebrity panelists audition a series of acts - some good, some hilariously awful, all nonprofessional - and cut off the losers mid-performance by striking an enormous onstage gong.

  9. #219
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    646

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    AN interesting observation has to do with the Conservative dominance of radio news/opinion shows. In radio, you need to listen and pay attention without any visual distractions. The content needs to be better, more interesting and stay fresh.

    The difference between radio and TV is like talking to a pretty girl on the phone, versus talking to her on a date. On the date, you might be distracted by her beauty and may not hear everything she says; "My eyes are up here!". On the phone, you will listen better since her beauty is less of a visual distraction. The radio format does not work for Progressive ideas, since these ideas are emotional and get redundant, and there is no visual distraction so you can ignore this.

    Fake new is easier to do with a TV format compared to a radio format. You can add visual aids that can mislead. This allows you to convey misinformation while not saying anything fake. The visuals can be used to induce the audience to extrapolate news into fakes news, even with the audio transcript appearing to be sound. For example, during the migrant caravan, CNN would show women and children in the background. If you did not do your research, you would think the caravan was all women and children instead of 80% young men. They never said that, but many will assume that by the visual aids.

    FOX news or FOX and Friends was originally called that, due to FOX deciding to use pretty info-babes or foxes as anchors. While the fox talks the news, the audience is checking her out, and may not hear everything in the context of news. The sky is falling! That is nice.

    This strategy paid off since news is generally bad and medicine goes down better with honey. The trick was to pay big bucks for pretty babes with a lot of intellectual talent.
    Last edited by wellwisher; 01-11-19 at 10:48 AM.

  10. #220
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,474

    Re: Is fake news an enemy of the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Is "news" that is purposefully false or misleading something we should be battling against as our enemy? Why or why not?
    Because of the special privileges granted to the news media, by the government - AKA "The People", there needs to be malpractice burdens placed on the media.

    As it stands now most are political operations, and have less to do with information and more to do with messaging.
    Chinaís police state is the US democrats on steriods.
    When China controls the Panama Canal, they control half of the USA, too.
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.
    Democrats today are the snarling dictators we fought wars to depose.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •