View Poll Results: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree

    27 56.25%
  • I donít agree

    12 25.00%
  • Iím not sure

    5 10.42%
  • Ham sandwich

    4 8.33%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

  1. #1
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,091

    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #2
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,088

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    Wrong question. The correct one is: Would you, being innocent, be willing to go to prison so that 100 guilty men didn't go free?

  3. #3
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,704

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    I would much rather see 100 guilty go free than start convicting innocent people in witch hunts again.
    ďWhen choosing the lesser of two evils, always remember, it is still an evil.Ē

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,322

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Blackstones formulation x 10.


    "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer"

    -Benjamin Franklin.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,622
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    Absolutely agree. We have 5 amendments in the bill of rights protecting our rights in criminal proceedings. That is done for a reason.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,091

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Wrong question. The correct one is: Would you, being innocent, be willing to go to prison so that 100 guilty men didn't go free?
    Dude, even if I was guilty as sin I still wouldn’t be particularly willing to go to prison. There’s a reason jury’s are instructed not to place themselves in the shoes of the defendant or victim for that matter. We’re not at our most objective when it involves us personally. This is an expression I’ve seen pretty routinely argued so your dodge is a little puzzling.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #7
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,817

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    I’ll put that I don’t agree. I don’t know if the number should be 100 or not but that sounds like as good of a line as any. What if it was 1,000 or 1 million or every criminal? Is it rational to expect a perfect system or no system at all? So 100 is a good a cutoff line as any. With 99% efficiency that would be much more effective that the rest of the govt.

  8. #8
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,009

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Wrong question. The correct one is: Would you, being innocent, be willing to go to prison so that 100 guilty men didn't go free?
    **** no
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,817

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Dude, even if I was guilty as sin I still wouldn’t be particularly willing to go to prison. There’s a reason jury’s are instructed not to place themselves in the shoes of the defendant or victim for that matter. We’re not at our most objective when it involves us personally. This is an expression I’ve seen pretty routinely argued so your dodge is a little puzzling.
    Exactly, I’d rather go free as a guilty person and have 100 innocent people wrongly convicted in my place

  10. #10
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It is better for 100 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly incarcerated. Do you agree or disagree? Attaching poll.
    Such a hard and terrible question to answer. Would it be better to let 100 serial rapists or serial killers or murderous terrorists go free than to incarcerate one innocent man? Would the victims and/or their loved ones think that was a good trade off?

    It was a decision that FDR had to make in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Even knowing that 99% of the Japanese people living in the U.S. were no threat to U.S. citizens, did a take a chance on 1% of them being people instructed to sabotage our shipyards or otherwise create havoc from their advantage being in the country? Even all these many decades later, that is still a controversial decision.

    So given extreme situations I can say that yes, it would be better to incarcerate the innocent and make it up to him/them later than it would be to put many other innocent people at unnecessary risk.

    A better question is it better to let the guilty go free than take the chance that he or she is being wrongly accused? And even there the answer is not an easy one.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •