View Poll Results: Is this conflict of interest?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 18.18%
  • No

    18 81.82%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Is this conflict of interest?

  1. #11
    Educator JMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Not over the edge yet
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    773

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think you're reading more into it because you want to. You have to be consciously willing to stretch the intent of the law to see the wearing of one's own clothes as a violation.
    And I think you are overlooking the intent of the law because you want to.
    For 200 years Senior Officials have given up their businesses or put them in blind trusts. Ivanka is actively promoting her business using the spotlight of the presidency and the fact that you like Trump does not change that. Yeah sure, dresses don't seem as important as oil wells or investment agencies, but it is promoting one's own business just the same. And as I pointed out earlier, very easy to stop doing. I'm sure she has other dresses to wear.

  2. #12
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    If she got on social media and said, 'Buy my clothes," I'd say yes. Just wearing her own clothes? Nah, I see nothing wrong with it. Might be all she can wear pretty soon, when Daddy and Hubs go to the pen.
    Nothing wrong with promoting your products on social media.


  3. #13
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,924

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is this conflict of interest?

    I do not see it as such.
    It is not a conflict of interest.

    /thread
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #14
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,640

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Nothing wrong with promoting your products on social media.
    Whether it is wrong is a matter of opinion. It is, however, a violation of federal regulations for public officials to do so. However, I think a reasonable person would say that wearing clothes does not necessarily constitute an endorsement of it. Maybe if it had her logo or something prominently displayed, but it doesn’t.

    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702
    Formerly BrewerBob

  5. #15
    Part of the problem.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,616

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Nothing wrong with promoting your products on social media.
    It is if you are a federal employee.

    ~ snip ~ § 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.
    An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise... ~ snip ~

    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702




    ~
    *~
    That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies. ~*~

  6. #16
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,917

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is this conflict of interest?

    I do not see it as such.
    She's gotta wear clothes... so why not her own line? I don't see a problem with it unless she was profusely commenting and pimping it throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #17
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,799

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    She and her husband are multimillionaire's with broad brand recognition. She can well afford to wear other designer brands.

    There is no need for Ivanka to blatantly plug her clothing brand as a White House official.

    Then again, Ivanka's clothes are manufactured in foreign sweatshops (i.e. China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.)

    The "Make it in America/Hire Americans" Trump family hypocrisy is astounding.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  8. #18
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is this conflict of interest?

    I do not see it as such.
    Phuck her and her outsourced sweat shop wear.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    She and her husband are multimillionaire's with broad brand recognition. She can well afford to wear other designer brands.

    There is no need for Ivanka to blatantly plug her clothing brand as a White House official.

    Then again, Ivanka's clothes are manufactured in foreign sweatshops (i.e. China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.)

    The "Make it in America/Hire Americans" Trump family hypocrisy is astounding.
    And the hypocrisy is worn proudly by Don's followers.

  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,786

    Re: Is this conflict of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    She and her husband are multimillionaire's with broad brand recognition. She can well afford to wear other designer brands.

    There is no need for Ivanka to blatantly plug her clothing brand as a White House official.

    Then again, Ivanka's clothes are manufactured in foreign sweatshops (i.e. China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.)

    The "Make it in America/Hire Americans" Trump family hypocrisy is astounding.
    The hypocrisy re "made in America" is supremely astounding. Totally agree. Only a true Sucker can defend that.

    But why do you say she's "blatatly" plugging her brand? Short of a large exterior label, or her saying something, the vast majority of people would never know.

    As a WH official, who is ostensibly on duty 24/7, should she refrain from wearing her own brand 24/7, or only during official and planned business activities? Would she be allowed to wear her own brand when out with the family on vacation and there's a paparazzi nearby shooting photos?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •