View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 84 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #831
    Educator HorseLoverGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lexington North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 07:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,207

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    I didn't refer to eyewitness testimony as foklore. Now you must be the confused one. I'd say eyewitness testimony is what we know it is: all in the eyes of the beholder. It's well known that it's one of the least reliable sources of evidence in criminal trials. There are several hundred now free men in this country (see "Innocence Project") who were convicted of violent crimes on eyewitness testimony who later were cleared by DNA evidence showing that someone else had to have committed that crime.
    That has happened all over the country. That's why those who want people executed quicker need to simmer down. I guess they don't care that they might be killing an innocent person
    Life is short, ride a horse

  2. #832
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    01-12-17 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Should the Confederate Flag be removed/abolished?

    I say no. The argument is that it represents racism and slavery. That is stupid. So does the American Flag.
    It may be inappropriate to fly over a statehouse, but abolished? do we have a first amendment or not?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  3. #833
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The USA Flag is about 50/50.

    Won: Am. Revolution, WWI, WWII, Persian Gul War
    Lost: Vietnam, Korea and the War of 1812

    Spanish American War was next to nothing and I left out Iraq and Afghanistan because there is no winner or loser other than the people living there.
    Well, it's being flown (proudly I assume since so many are fighting it) by a state govt that was part of a failed (potential) nation defeated by the USA. So it's different in that it is a symbol of defeat and rebellion against the country that it now receives (happily probably) lots of subsidies and other financial benefits. What is the point of flying that symbol of defiance? They lost...are they still in denial of that? Or think that they were justified? IMO, while they fought for many things, there is no justification for fighting to keep people as property so again...inappropriate. And that state has many citizens that are descended from that 'property.' Do their feelings count?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #834
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,512

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    Folk lore? Hmmmm are you saying those veterans lied to my granddaddy and his Benedictine company? Somehow I doubt it.
    If some of the things you've been saying about the civil war came from those veterans ..then it is highly likely they did, yes.


    ".....The Lost Cause is an interpretation of the American Civil War (1861–1865) that seeks to present the war, from the perspective of Confederates, in the best possible terms.

    Developed by white Southerners, [B]many of them former Confederate generals, in a postwar climate of economic, racial, and gender uncertainty, the Lost Cause created and romanticized the "Old South" and the Confederate war effort, often distorting history in the process. For this reason, many historians have labeled the Lost Cause a myth or a legend.

    It is certainly an important example of public memory, one in which nostalgia for the Confederate past is accompanied by a collective forgetting of the horrors of slavery. Providing a sense of relief to white Southerners who feared being dishonored by defeat, the Lost Cause was largely accepted in the years following the war by white Americans who found it to be a useful tool in reconciling North and South.

    The Lost Cause has lost much of its academic support but continues to be an important part of how the Civil War is commemorated in the South and remembered in American popular culture..

    Lost Cause, The

  5. #835
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,512

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    It may be inappropriate to fly over a statehouse, but abolished? do we have a first amendment or not?
    Did we have a war or not?

  6. #836
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,143

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    Folk lore? Hmmmm are you saying those veterans lied to my granddaddy and his Benedictine company? Somehow I doubt it.
    No I am saying that your grandpa has no relevance in this thread. Hell I dont even believe your story about your grandpa.

  7. #837
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,512

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by digitusmedius View Post
    I've asked her a couple of times now if she feels whites (i.e., people of northern and central European descent) are superior to all others and she's aggressively avoided responding to that question, which is an answer really, isn't it?
    It's probably best not to assume and bullying her into a response is probably not a good idea, either. Rebels don't like to be told what to do, doncha know? Ya gotta let em save face or they will never see your point.

  8. #838
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So.... how is the U.S. Flag Above U.S. Burial Grounds helping the U.S. Move on?
    Why! By promoting unity rather than secession, of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I can do this all day.

    Fact is... nobody has any business removing a Confederate Flag from a Confederate memorial or burial site.

    State Capitol? Sure, But as I recall they did that years ago.
    Now its time for the people themselves to remove it in order to strengthen unity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The point of a flag being over a war burial ground or memorial ground isn't to help people move on.
    That is why the confederate flag should go.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #839
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverGirl View Post
    England and France, from the way the stories go, were planning to intervene and help the South. Of course that is not something they're gonna talk about now. However it did not happen that way. I often wonder if it had would the South had won after all? Makes you wonder
    I believe their divide and conquer strategy would have paved a way for a divided and weaker USA, unlike the one we have now. So on this point, glad they failed to use the vacuum to their advantage and earn themselves a Southern US puppet. The reason I am glad most is that the further secessions of USA would not stop there, but it might continue until various parts of former USA would be weak and completely dependent on England and France.

    I believe then you would just be exchanging the idea of being ruled from your own to that of being ruled from people abroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #840
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It's probably best not to assume and bullying her into a response is probably not a good idea, either. Rebels don't like to be told what to do, doncha know? Ya gotta let em save face or they will never see your point.
    I think I met one from the South that was in the army. He was on a brink of exploding from all the orders and the army like control he had to experience. The most it bothered him is that he had to report every hour where he was and what was he up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •