View Poll Results: Should the Confederate Flag be abolished?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 29.57%
  • No

    131 70.43%
Page 3 of 270 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 2695

Thread: Confederate Flag[W:1518,2230, 2241]

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I agree, the flag did not in itself cause anything. But it appears to be a real source of contention based on what it represents, so leave it to the private individual to deal with and get the States out of the mix.
    that particular flag represents different things to different people..... and the people of each state can have their say in the matter.
    if they want their state to fly the flag, then fly the flag.. if they choose to bring it down.. fine by me as well.... it's just a flag.

    I'll bet you a dollar racism doesn't end when the flag comes down though...I could be wrong, but I highly doubt this is the magic flag that ends racism.
    in fact, it will be forgotten about as soon as the next news cycle comes around.

  2. #22
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that particular flag represents different things to different people..... and the people of each state can have their say in the matter.
    if they want their state to fly the flag, then fly the flag.. if they choose to bring it down.. fine by me as well.... it's just a flag.

    I'll bet you a dollar racism doesn't end when the flag comes down though...I could be wrong, but I highly doubt this is the magic flag that ends racism.
    in fact, it will be forgotten about as soon as the next news cycle comes around.
    Of course it will not end, we have to much momentum for way too many to ensure racism sticks around.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,859

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    It is a symbol of racism and segregation. I would not oppose an individual having one or flying it. I do not support our federal or state governments flying that flag.
    How is that flag different that the US Flag?

  4. #24
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,859

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    At least that flag wins wars. The other one got it's ass handed to it in the only war ever fought for it.
    The USA Flag is about 50/50.

    Won: Am. Revolution, WWI, WWII, Persian Gul War
    Lost: Vietnam, Korea and the War of 1812

    Spanish American War was next to nothing and I left out Iraq and Afghanistan because there is no winner or loser other than the people living there.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,859

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    Nope, the American flag represents the ability to rise above our current condition, to move our society from the old ways to the vision of liberty and freedom for all. It stands for the ability to be able to say, we got that wrong now we're going to try to get it right.

    The confederate flag stands for an economic and social system entirely dependent on slave labor. For taking a juxtaposed view of our founding documents.. That they only apply to some.
    It took us a long time to do that... what if all the South needed was more time as well?

  6. #26
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,211
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    THe Confederate flag represents losers. It's like wearing a Cubs hat in Yankee stadium.
    Or just anyone that wears a Yankee hat.

  7. #27
    Professor
    Occam's Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It took us a long time to do that... what if all the South needed was more time as well?
    Sure, what if? Yet, for the north it was built-in to the DNA of our republic. If you can show me anywhere in the founding documents of the confederacy, any intention or desire to make all men free and equal, I will gladly stand corrected.
    Spin Proof

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    45,951

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Or just anyone that wears a Yankee hat.
    Yanks won nearly 30 world championships. Cubs haven't played for one in almost a 100 years.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    45,951

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The USA Flag is about 50/50.

    Won: Am. Revolution, WWI, WWII, Persian Gul War
    Lost: Vietnam, Korea and the War of 1812

    Spanish American War was next to nothing and I left out Iraq and Afghanistan because there is no winner or loser other than the people living there.
    Nam, definitely a loss. Korea a tie. 1812? Seems to me we Kicked the Brits butt a second time in that one.

    Seems to me too that we won all the Indian wars and the Mexican one as well.

  10. #30
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,211
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Yanks won nearly 30 world championships. Cubs haven't played for one in almost a 100 years.
    And full cheaters= Losers. Anyways if the states wants to fly the flag let them.

Page 3 of 270 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •