View Poll Results: Should transwomen be legally trreated as women?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    77 47.53%
  • No

    63 38.89%
  • Maybe

    11 6.79%
  • Don't know

    11 6.79%
Page 15 of 141 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1409

Thread: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?[W:165,1392]

  1. #141
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,584

    Re: Should perverted men who “identify” as women be legally treated as women?

    Sure why not? As far as government contracts or scholarships to women and transwoman getting them I could care less.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #142
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No brainier, absolutely.

    The same goes for transmen; they should be treated as men.
    so would you have a sexual relationship based off of someone's mentally identified gender ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should perverted men who “identify” as women be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I was a baby boy. Not a girl.

    Babies don't stay babies, but boys grow up to be men. Boys do not grow up to be women. Not ever.
    You WERE a baby boy, but you are not one now. Therefore we should not treat you as you are one now. What you are doing is tying a person's sex to the condition of their body, but the condition of a person's body can change. Just like we don't treat you like a baby boy, just because that was the condition of your body at birth, we should not treat someone based on the condition of their body at the time of their birth.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should perverted men who “identify” as women be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Okaaaaay.... *puts on her 1st grade teacher hat*

    When humans are born, we're little people called "babies". We are biologically wired to grow into toddlers, adolescents, teenagers and then adults. We are no longer babies because we have gotten taller, our brains have developed to full potential and we can take care of ourselves. It's normal to change from a baby to an adult.
    You no longer have the body that you had when you were a baby. It is not there anymore, as such, we don't treat you like a baby. As such, to treat someone based on the condition of their body at the time of their birth is a flawed notion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    When we're in our mama's belly, we were assigned a gender. Our gender can never change because we cannot change our sex chromosomes no matter how we change our outward appearance.
    It is more than a condition of outward appearance. That is one thing. It is also a condition of the person's mind and ego. The other thing is that some women are born with the chromosome composition of men. That is another point.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Biological sex has been defined a number of different ways by science, and still there always seem to be exceptions. But the concept of sex comes from reproductive function, and as mentioned above that is the main purpose of differentiating between the two. So I personally would define it as such: anyone with a functional ovary is female, anyone with a functional testicle is male. This covers 99% of the population. For someone who has neither, we could define it by chromosomes, or by genitals, or simply use a third term such as "neuter" -- but it doesn't make much practical difference, as they can't reproduce so they are immune to most of the significant issues. There are intersex individuals with ambiguous genitalia born relatively often, but there has never been a true human hermaphrodite recorded by medical science with both ovary and testicle, so as far as I know this simple criteria applies to every human on earth.

    This relates only to biological sex. Gender is a totally separate thing. It is based on cultural stereotypes that are mostly false. I understand sympathizing with someone who feels like they are the opposite gender, and I have no problem with treating them the way they want to be treated when feasible. That just comes down to human decency. But for legal and practical purposes, biology is better defined and a better practical criteria on almost every issue, and should be used as the basis for our laws rather than gender. This takes nothing away from a trans- person who should be free to live their life as they please, just not redefine biology.
    So why do you think biology is a better way for legal purposes?

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'd think that should be up to the person whom they failed to inform of their status prior to sexual intimacy. If the person feels they have been deceived and suffered emotional trauma as a result, I think they should have the right to sue.

    If they're ok with it, well obviously they won't be filing suit.


    While I realize this would put a burden on transgenders to have this legally stipulated, frankly I think it is only fair. There are lots of people who, regardless of their feelings about the transgendered IN GENERAL would nonetheless be appalled to find out they'd had sex with one without knowing it beforehand.


    I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm told that an observant man will probably realize that "something is different" somewhere along the way, (I hear lingering scar tissue can be a problem in some cases), so if it is going to be revealed at some point anyway, it seems much better and more fair to all concerned to reveal it BEFORE intimacy takes place.

    In some cases, it might even be important to the transgendered person's safety. I think there are still quite a few people who might react very badly to finding out "after".

    In any case, it is only fair and reasonable and honest to be forthright about such things. I'd put almost (I said almost) it on par with revealing whether one has any STDs... it should be known beforehand so the partner can make a fully informed judgement about whether he/she wants to deal with the other person's situation.
    I have thought about what you have put forward. I think that there is certainly a strong case to be made for this in the case of marriage. That said, because we don't require women to disclose such things as whether or not they have had sex with animals before engaging in intercourse, I don't think transwomen should be required to disclose such, unless there is some sort of health risk to the other party.

    Good point though. I had not thought about that.

  7. #147
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,220
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should perverted men who “identify” as women be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Yes I am in favor of someone being able to purchase a product in a public business without being denied due to their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, or religion. You are denying the fact that businesses agree to operate under a state and communities laws and regulations when they open for business in that state or community and to further your argument you invent rights out of thin air for that business - rights that don't exist for a business in any free society on earth.
    1: Right to association is an actual Right. You might wish to ignore that but hey, you don't have to acknowledge it for it to actually exist.

    2: The fact that a business operates in communities does not strip the owners of their Rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    However that is not comparable to this. If you can't purchase a product sold in a business simply due to your race or sexual orientation, then that impacts your life. Granting transgendered legal recognition of the sex they transitioned to, impacts no one's life but that individual and their family.
    Really? Then why did the OP have to ask the question that is posed in the poll? Apparently it affects far more than you realize.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #148
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 08:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Should perverted men who “identify” as women be legally treated as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Intersex is a rare aberration. It has nothing to do with the remaining more than 99% of humanity who, as a matter of objective, concrete fact, are either fully-male, or fully-female, and not anything in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    No, Intersex is a real phenomenon, but it doesn't mean what Unrepresented claims that it mean.

    There are a number of very rare genetic and hormonal conditions that truly do result in a person who is not fully-male nor fully-female. But they have nothing to do with transgenderism.
    The fact that they are rare doesn't mean that they're rare doesn't deny their validity. They're the most visible gray areas between social constructs of gender, but that doesn't mean that there's not gradation between genders outside of them. Everything is a gradation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    There's nothing artificial nor arbitrary about the distinction between male and female. Each has essential biological traits that distinguish it from the other, and it takes both to reproduce.
    The distinction between male and female is a human concept. It's a concept that is largely accepted because it's largely functional, but that doesn't make it accurate.

  9. #149
    Actually I am.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?

    I voted "don't know," but let me explain. I don't think that they should legally be treated as women, because I don't really think the law should have anything to do with it. I think that people should be decent enough to treat people well, and honor the gender that they identify with, but I just don't know if I want the law involved in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Should transwomen be legally treated as women?

    Most of the legal distinctions between men and women are in place to correct for sexual discrimination. While I voted "yes" if someone spent most of their life as a man and benefiting from the fact that he was a man I'm not sure that now being able to benefit from sexual discrimination laws as a woman is particularly fair but I haven't given it a whole lot of thought either to be honest.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •