Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 512

Thread: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

  1. #371
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    The straw man appears to be God.
    For those of us who believe what exists came about as the result of Natural cause, "God did it." is much like a straw man.

  2. #372
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,589
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    The straw man appears to be God.
    For those of us who believe what exists came about as the result of Natural cause, "God did it." is much like a straw man.
    You apparently understand neither the concept of a straw man argument nor the bone of contention between Quag and me.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  3. #373
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You apparently understand neither the concept of a straw man argument nor the bone of contention between Quag and me.
    I never stated that I did.
    You appear to have a bone of contention with anyone who disagrees with you.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,589
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    I never stated that I did.
    You appear to have a bone of contention with anyone who disagrees with you.
    Isn't that the meaning of "bone of contention"?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #375
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Isn't that the meaning of "bone of contention"?
    Except that no one is trying to change YOUR views to theirs, ONLY disagreeing to accept YOUR views for their own.
    You claim God exists. No problem.
    You claim you can prove God exists. Show us.
    Your proof fails to be accepted. You show an inability to accept failure.
    I think most, if not all, of us who found your philosophical premises lacking for various reasons don't really care if you continue to believe in the existence of a God or not. And while none of us can, or have even tried to prove that God doesn't exist, the reality is that it doesn't change anything as no one REALLY knows anything at all about the being they call God.

  6. #376
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,589
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Except that no one is trying to change YOUR views to theirs, ONLY disagreeing to accept YOUR views for their own.
    You claim God exists. No problem.
    You claim you can prove God exists. Show us.
    Your proof fails to be accepted. You show an inability to accept failure.
    I think most, if not all, of us who found your philosophical premises lacking for various reasons don't really care if you continue to believe in the existence of a God or not. And while none of us can, or have even tried to prove that God doesn't exist, the reality is that it doesn't change anything as no one REALLY knows anything at all about the being they call God.
    The failure is yours both for not understanding and for not engaging my argument. And I don't give a rat's ass what you or anyone else doesn't believe.
    And "a bone of contention" is something people disagree on, period.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  7. #377
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The failure is yours both for not understanding and for not engaging my argument. And I don't give a rat's ass what you or anyone else doesn't believe.
    And "a bone of contention" is something people disagree on, period.
    Obviously belief is the basis of everything for you.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,589
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Obviously belief is the basis of everything for you.
    And for you as well. For everybody.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #379
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    And for you as well. For everybody.
    Beliefs proven true are what we find most useful.

    But I agree that unproven/unprovable beliefs can also be useful when employed upon those who are willing to believe without need of proof.

    Nature has no need of God(s), most religions would cease to exist without God(s).

  10. #380
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,589
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Beliefs proven true are what we find most useful.

    But I agree that unproven/unprovable beliefs can also be useful when employed upon those who are willing to believe without need of proof.

    Nature has no need of God(s), most religions would cease to exist without God(s).
    True belief is knowledge. Is knowledge useful? Sure.
    Nature is explained by God. God is the explanation of Nature. Religions are about God, and the religious impulse is innate and ineradicable. Atheism is the aberration.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •