Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 512

Thread: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

  1. #361
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,605

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Two things wrong here. One, your "pointless" adds nothing to "futile" -- it's just strutting. And two, you miss the point -- ALL discussion of ALL argument becomes futile -- not just your pet peeve.
    Basically, you have a box which weighs exactly the same as an identical empty box which you claim to contain greater value than another box proven to be empty. Your premises offered equate to opening your box and finding nothing in it. Which box should I take the one proven empty or yours claimed, by you, to hold valuable content. So if your "pet peeve" cannot be made to prevail over everyone else's "pet peeve", what then?

  2. #362
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,383

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Dialogue Report Card

    Quag's claims
    1. If the premises of an argument are nothing more than beliefs, then the conclusion of that argument is nothing more than belief.
    2. Angel's arguments for the existence of God contain premises that are nothing more than his beliefs.
    3. Belief is nothing more than opinion.

    Quag's reasoning
    4. One of the definitions of belief in a dictionary is that belief is opinion.
    5. Quag chooses this definition of belief because it corresponds to what he means to say in his claims.

    Angel ACCEPTS for the sake of discussion ALL of Quag's claims and Quag's reasoning in support of his claims.

    Angel's claim
    6. All premises in all arguments are beliefs.
    7. Belief is the mental acceptance of a statement.

    Angel's reasoning
    8. Angel adopts Quag's reasoning in #4 and #5 to support his own claim
    9. One of the definitions of belief in a dictionary is that belief is the mental acceptance of a statement.
    10. Angel chooses this definition of belief because it corresponds to what he means to say in his claims.


    And there you have it. No strawman. No insertion of my definition into yours.

    Result: All discussion of arguments is futile.
    BOLDED IS DERIVED FROM YOUR STRAWMAN!!!!!
    Here it is from post 327 (which you left out from this post because even you realize the strawman is too obvious.
    If all beliefs are only opinions and all premises are beliefs, then all counter-argumentation is pointless and all discussion at an end.

    Discussion is at an end because of your strawman where you try to insert your definition into my statement.
    This whole thread was created because you erroneously thought you could sneak the strawman past me and now that you realize you cant you are throwing a hissy fit.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  3. #363
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,383

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Two things wrong here.
    One, your "pointless" adds nothing to "futile" -- it's just strutting.
    And two, you miss the point -- ALL discussion of ALL argument becomes futile -- not just your pet peeve.
    The point is you are trying to make that my claim based on your strawman but it isn't my claim
    Yes Angel when you try to insert your definition into my statement you ARE making a strawman
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  4. #364
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,597
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    BOLDED IS DERIVED FROM YOUR STRAWMAN!!!!!
    Here it is from post 327 (which you left out from this post because even you realize the strawman is too obvious.



    Discussion is at an end because of your strawman where you try to insert your definition into my statement.
    This whole thread was created because you erroneously thought you could sneak the strawman past me and now that you realize you cant you are throwing a hissy fit.
    You're embarrassing yourself, man. There is no insertion. The report card is right there. That statement of mine you quote simply explains the "Result" in the report card, and by the way represents your view precisely -- "If all beliefs are only opinions and all premises are beliefs, then all counter-argumentation is pointless and all discussion at an end." There's no strawman here. There's just your awful rationale for your claims.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #365
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,597
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    The point is you are trying to make that my claim based on your strawman but it isn't my claim
    Yes Angel when you try to insert your definition into my statement you ARE making a strawman
    At this point you're just plain lying about this strawman crap. Stop it.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  6. #366
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,383

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You're embarrassing yourself, man. There is no insertion. The report card is right there. That statement of mine you quote simply explains the "Result" in the report card, and by the way represents your view precisely -- "If all beliefs are only opinions and all premises are beliefs, then all counter-argumentation is pointless and all discussion at an end." There's no strawman here. There's just your awful rationale for your claims.
    Wow you really are in denial arent you
    If all beliefs are only opinions(y definition as used in my statement) and all premises are beliefs(your definition), then all counter-argumentation is pointless and all discussion at an end(based on ussing your definition in my statement).
    But please continue I dont mind watching you make a fool of yourself
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  7. #367
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,383

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    At this point you're just plain lying about this strawman crap. Stop it.
    Meltdown from Angel because he isnt as clever as he thought he was and cant sneak his strawman past me in 3,2,1....
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  8. #368
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,597
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Wow you really are in denial arent you


    But please continue I dont mind watching you make a fool of yourself
    No, I used you definition in your statement, my definition in my statement, and your rationale for both yours and my statements, and the result is the result.

    You're the one who can't see/read what's right before your eyes.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #369
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,383

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    No, I used you definition in your statement, my definition in my statement, and your rationale for both yours and my statements, and the result is the result.

    You're the one who can't see/read what's right before your eyes.
    You then put the two together and made a strawman claiming it is the result

    or in other words you made a strawman
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  10. #370
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,597
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    You then put the two together and made a strawman claiming it is the result

    or in other words you made a strawman
    First of all, "putting the two together" is not inserting anything in either.
    Given your claim and your rationale and given my claim using the same rationale -- discussion of arguments becomes an exercise in futility.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •