Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 379

Thread: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

  1. #341
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,499
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Yes it does because you are inserting your definition into my statement. See your post 327

    This is my statement
    An argument whose premise is a belief results in a conclusion that is nothing more than a belief?<

    This is your claims
    Angel's Claim and Reasons
    1. Angel claims that all premises are beliefs.
    2. Angel defines belief according to a dictionary definition that defines belief as the mental acceptance of a statement.
    3. Angel defends his choice of definition for the reason that the definition accords with the meaning Angel intends to convey in his claim.


    You are then inserting the above definition of belief into my statement making the following strawman

    An argument whose "premise" aka "belief as defined by Angel" is a "belief" as per Quag, results in a conclusion that is nothing more than a "belief" as per Quag
    Re-read your own post -- you make my point.
    Angel's definition is used to support Angel's claim that all premises are beliefs.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  2. #342
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,878

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Re-read your own post -- you make my point.
    Angel's definition is used to support Angel's claim that all premises are beliefs.
    Nonsense your point is to try and make a strawman. You have been trying that since this thread started
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  3. #343
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,499
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Nonsense your point is to try and make a strawman. You have been trying that since this thread started
    You lose. Goodbye.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  4. #344
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,499
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #345
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Curious title wording "Quag and (the?) Angel: a dialogue"

    If ALL premises are nothing more than a belief, I wholly agree.
    Therefore the definition of God is but an unproven/unprovable premise which results in Gods "real" existence unproven/unprovable.

    A quote attributed to Poe comes to mind "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."
    The curious mind prevents illusions from becoming delusions.

  6. #346
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,499
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Curious title wording "Quag and (the?) Angel: a dialogue"

    If ALL premises are nothing more than a belief, I wholly agree.
    Therefore the definition of God is but an unproven/unprovable premise which results in Gods "real" existence unproven/unprovable.

    A quote attributed to Poe comes to mind "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."
    The curious mind prevents illusions from becoming delusions.
    You're confusing proof and certainty.
    What's more, you're conflating two different theses from this thread:
    Quag's "belief is nothing more than opinion" and Angel's "all premises are beliefs."
    Do you see what you've done?
    That was a question, by the way.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  7. #347
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You're confusing proof and certainty.
    What's more, you're conflating two different theses from this thread:
    Quag's "belief is nothing more than opinion" and Angel's "all premises are beliefs."
    Do you see what you've done?
    That was a question, by the way.
    Not at all, I've stated that what you find adequate as proof is acceptable to me for YOUR belief, but without certainty it fails for MY belief.

    I don't recall using the word opinion in my post.

    What I've done is post a response to the thread you created, based on your words alone "Angel's definition is used to support Angel's claim that all premises are beliefs." NOT anything at all Quag might have said.

    Perhaps you should ask yourself what you've done before pressing "Submit Reply" each time you attempt a response.

    That was a suggestion, by the way.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,499
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Not at all, I've stated that what you find adequate as proof is acceptable to me for YOUR belief, but without certainty it fails for MY belief.

    I don't recall using the word opinion in my post.

    What I've done is post a response to the thread you created, based on your words alone "Angel's definition is used to support Angel's claim that all premises are beliefs." NOT anything at all Quag might have said.

    Perhaps you should ask yourself what you've done before pressing "Submit Reply" each time you attempt a response.

    That was a suggestion, by the way.
    You have never stated what you claim you've stated. I just gave you the word and concept "certainty" in my previous post.

    If you're not merging Quag's nonsense into the mix, tell me where you get the "nothing more than" terminology in your post #345?
    The previous sentence is a question by the way.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #349
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You have never stated what you claim you've stated. I just gave you the word and concept "certainty" in my previous post.

    If you're not merging Quag's nonsense into the mix, tell me where you get the "nothing more than" terminology in your post #345?
    The previous sentence is a question by the way.
    MY words "Not at all, I've stated that what you find adequate as proof is acceptable to me for YOUR belief,
    but without certainty it fails for MY belief." <-- quote
    You are free to exercise belief for reasons you feel to suffice, while I and others are, or at least should be, free to exercise non-belief for reasons we feel to suffice.

    From YOUR post #341,
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Angel's definition is used to support Angel's claim that all premises are beliefs.
    For me that can ONLY mean that any drawn conclusion can be no more than a strong belief, NOT a proven/provable fact.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,878

    Re: Quag and the Angel: a dialogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You lose. Goodbye.
    No you lost Angel your strawman was rejected and that's all you have ever tried to do in this thread You may run away now like you always do knowing that you failed like you always do.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •