Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

  1. #11
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,226

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    DelaHaze, I got it from BCCannabisStores.com it boasts a colossal 23% thc. And unlike the white widow I got last time that boasted 26%, I believe DelaHaze lives up to it's claim.
    Thanks!

    EDIT: Deleted, don't want to derail your thread with pot talk... haha
    Life's too short...

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North America
    Last Seen
    08-28-19 @ 10:23 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,138

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    Thanks!

    EDIT: Deleted, don't want to derail your thread with pot talk... haha
    It's ok, not many folks want to have real discussion on the philosophy. Because, mainly the people who base their identity around being Christian, do not follow the philosophy. They know their political beliefs and actions can't stand up to scrutiny of someone that ignores the divinity and the absolute forgiveness for any transgressions as long as you ask your imaginary friend to forgive you, for the actual philosophy.

    Next time you run into some asshole talking about the wall, ask him if he's christian. And what Christ, and only Christ says about foreigners in your land. Not the rest of the bull**** in the bible. Just what Jesus said, because a Christian, that part should have the most weight right?

  3. #13
    Guru
    MrPeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,649

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    This is great. I grew up Methodist but I don't believe in god anymore. I still view Jesus as an important moral figure and try to live by his teachings with an obvious exception. I'm glad there are others that view it similarly.

  4. #14
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,226

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    It's ok, not many folks want to have real discussion on the philosophy. Because, mainly the people who base their identity around being Christian, do not follow the philosophy. They know their political beliefs and actions can't stand up to scrutiny of someone that ignores the divinity and the absolute forgiveness for any transgressions as long as you ask your imaginary friend to forgive you, for the actual philosophy.

    Next time you run into some asshole talking about the wall, ask him if he's christian. And what Christ, and only Christ says about foreigners in your land. Not the rest of the bull**** in the bible. Just what Jesus said, because a Christian, that part should have the most weight right?
    I agree completely...though I would not necessarily use the same broad brush. I've never understood Christians being against "foreigners" - tolerance towards refugees and immigrants is taught even in the old testament...which is far less "warm and fuzzy" than Christ's teachings. Some denominations within the Christian religion remember this, others don't. I live in a tiny area, full of conservative rural folks, and three churches out here sponsored Syrian refugees, and brought them to the community - and no condition that the families they brought in ever had to attend their church. To me that's Christianity done correctly. Emphasis on "to me".

    It's hard to talk philosophy sometimes...especially in here...with folks who have different belief systems. It gets confrontational way too fast. Threats of hell, and mockery about "imaginary friends" and all that... Things are much simpler around a campfire, passing around a bit of the wisdom weed. But for what it's worth, we'd probably agree on most things, if not the "does he exist" bit, from the sounds of things. I'm good with that if you are.
    Life's too short...

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North America
    Last Seen
    08-28-19 @ 10:23 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,138

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    I agree completely...though I would not necessarily use the same broad brush. I've never understood Christians being against "foreigners" - tolerance towards refugees and immigrants is taught even in the old testament...which is far less "warm and fuzzy" than Christ's teachings. Some denominations within the Christian religion remember this, others don't. I live in a tiny area, full of conservative rural folks, and three churches out here sponsored Syrian refugees, and brought them to the community - and no condition that the families they brought in ever had to attend their church. To me that's Christianity done correctly. Emphasis on "to me".

    It's hard to talk philosophy sometimes...especially in here...with folks who have different belief systems. It gets confrontational way too fast. Threats of hell, and mockery about "imaginary friends" and all that... Things are much simpler around a campfire, passing around a bit of the wisdom weed. But for what it's worth, we'd probably agree on most things, if not the "does he exist" bit, from the sounds of things. I'm good with that if you are.
    Well, I only ever use the term imaginary friend with the people that use their faith as justification for personal things. Because that's all god is to them in that instance. They take it as mocking their whole faith, instead of as a very personal insult. Which is what it is. If you don't walk the walk, and only talk the talk, you have an imaginary friend. In my opinion.

  6. #16
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,226

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    Well, I only ever use the term imaginary friend with the people that use their faith as justification for personal things. Because that's all god is to them in that instance. They take it as mocking their whole faith, instead of as a very personal insult. Which is what it is. If you don't walk the walk, and only talk the talk, you have an imaginary friend. In my opinion.
    I don't disagree...but it's as much of a conversation killer as calling an obese person a fat ass, when you're trying to tell them about healthy eating...hehe... I think people leap to it a little too quickly, sometimes. Not saying you, just speaking in general. It would be interesting to see what philosophical conversations would be possible if everyone simmered down on that a bit from both directions.

    But now it sounds, at least to me, like I'm lecturing you, and that's not my intention. I liked your initial post.

    So, what would a philosophical discussion around an atheist's positive perception of Christian philosophy look like?
    Life's too short...

  7. #17
    Professor Good4Nothin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    It seems, you've started to study Roman influence on Christianity, but only took a glance at it in a much larger course.

    https://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-210/lecture-1

    It was more Rome adopted Christianity to jump ahead of the cult following that was growing and threatening their ability to levy troops. No troops, no war, no new riches to add to the treasury. Etc. And so forth.

    It's a long course, and it's Yale, so it's rather advanced, but it's a real look at that period in history.
    Well the gist of it is still that Rome converted mainly for practical, not spiritual, reasons. Which should make Christians stop and think a little? And Christianity spread because Rome forced it on everyone they conquered. And modified it so it would be more acceptable to the pagans.

    Christianity is now a major religion and Jesus is rock star popular because of Rome's military power.

    But Christians will tell you it's because the religion is so different and special. No it is not so different or special. It's a good religion, I think, if you don't know about any others.

    All religions are human attempts to grasp the ungraspable. So I give Christians credit for trying, for worshiping and for praying. That's all that matters.

    But the dogmatic nonsense and the intolerance are unfortunate.

  8. #18
    Professor Good4Nothin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    But maybe what you're saying is the cult was spreading like wildfire because it was so special. I see your point, but I think I had read there were lots of those mystery cults around then. It was a miserable time and mystery cults promised an escape.

  9. #19
    "I want MY WALL!"
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,932

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    I am going to give you all a rare glimpse into my private belief system. Why? Because I smoked a lot of weed about 10 minutes ago. And this seems like a good idea.

    I don't believe in the traditional concept of God, or Gods (plural). More like I subscribe to Carl Sagan's observation. We are the Universe contemplating itself. The Universe operates on a cycle of expansion and contraction. And life began on the quantum level, in it's chaos the first spark of life happened, and grew from there.

    Those are just ideas I subscribe to, I can't even call them beliefs. Because to believe something is to give it power over you. And none of these ideas hold power over me. A little evidence, or a more plausible scenario, and I'll change my mind.

    But I still think Jesus Christ is real. Not the son of God, but one of the greatest philosophers and teachers the world has ever known.

    Can I prove he was born? No. Can I prove historically, he was a person who existed and lead a life as described in the Bible. No.

    How can I say he is Real.

    The same way Super man is real. The same way the version of George Washington we teach in school is real. Human imagination makes them real. Whether Jesus was a real boy, or the work of Roman Priests, it doesn't matter. His story, and ideas changed the world. Not because people believed he was the son of god. But because of his teachings inspire the best in each of us.

    Anyone who has seriously studied history, will realize, none of it's concrete. The people of each time create their own history based on what they want passed down. Just as we create our perfect versions of ourselves on social media. Because that is what will be recorded of us in history.

    In 2,000 years who is to say, people will believe Captain America was a real person. And would that be such a bad thing?
    So where do you think matter came from?

    P.S. - I'm impressed that you could put this together while seriously buzzed on a Haze strain.
    Maybe they like Trump because they're like Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    I don't get the facts from Fox News and others. I am one of the people supplying them with the facts.

  10. #20
    "I want MY WALL!"
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,932

    Re: Christ's philosophy, and what makes him real...

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    Well the gist of it is still that Rome converted mainly for practical, not spiritual, reasons. Which should make Christians stop and think a little? And Christianity spread because Rome forced it on everyone they conquered. And modified it so it would be more acceptable to the pagans.

    Christianity is now a major religion and Jesus is rock star popular because of Rome's military power.

    But Christians will tell you it's because the religion is so different and special. No it is not so different or special. It's a good religion, I think, if you don't know about any others.

    All religions are human attempts to grasp the ungraspable. So I give Christians credit for trying, for worshiping and for praying. That's all that matters.

    But the dogmatic nonsense and the intolerance are unfortunate.
    And maybe modified it in ways that would let it to being useful in terms of keeping them in power?
    Maybe they like Trump because they're like Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    I don't get the facts from Fox News and others. I am one of the people supplying them with the facts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •