Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 664

Thread: [W:444:664] Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

  1. #21
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    What follows from the sacredness of life?
    The morality of the universe.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,525

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Does this conditional argument pass muster?

    If God created life on earth, then "there is a special Providence in the fall of a sparrow."
    If "there is a special Providence in the fall of a sparrow," then life on earth is sacred.___
    Therefore, if God created life on earth, then life on earth is sacred.
    If God created life on earth then aliens were created by the devil
    If the devil created aliens then tomatoes are aliens
    Therefore if God created life on earth God did not create tomatoes.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  3. #23
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    If God created life on earth then aliens were created by the devil
    If the devil created aliens then tomatoes are aliens
    Therefore if God created life on earth God did not create tomatoes.
    Invalid.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,525

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Invalid.
    As valid as what you posted
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  5. #25
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    As valid as what you posted
    No, what I posted is a valid syllogism. What you posted is an invalid syllogism.
    Both terms contained in my conclusion are contained in the premises.
    Your conclusion contains a term that does not appear in the premises, namely, "God did not create tomatoes."

    But gfm and I are delighted you enrolled in this class.
    Namaste

  6. #26
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,525

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    No, what I posted is a valid syllogism. What you posted is an invalid syllogism.
    Both terms contained in my conclusion are contained in the premises.
    Your conclusion contains a term that does not appear in the premises, namely, "God did not create tomatoes."

    But gfm and I are delighted you enrolled in this class.
    Namaste
    Logic is not your strong suit is it?
    Do you know why your "argument" is worthless?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  7. #27
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Logic is not your strong suit is it?
    Do you know why your "argument" is worthless?
    Be careful, Q. You're not in "Beliefs and Skepticism." In "Philosophy" you have to know what you're talking about.
    I've told you why your syllogism is invalid: your conclusion contains a term that does not appear in the premises.
    Learn or leave off.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,525

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Be careful, Q. You're not in "Beliefs and Skepticism." In "Philosophy" you have to know what you're talking about.
    I've told you why your syllogism is invalid: your conclusion contains a term that does not appear in the premises.
    Learn or leave off.
    Philosophy is not your strong suit but then neither is logic
    Do you know why your "argument" is worthless?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  9. #29
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Philosophy is not your strong suit but then neither is logic
    Do you know why your "argument" is worthless?
    I know why your syllogism is invalid and I've pointed this out to you twice. If your only interest in this thread is trolling, you've picked on the wrong instructor.

  10. #30
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,466
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Logic 101: How To Properly Reason

    Homework for the weekend

    What is an immediate inference?

    Immediate Inferences

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •