Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 985

Thread: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,593

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Christians think they have a unique event...Christ Rising from the dead. But, of course, that myth has been around for ages. Long before the sandal wearing hippie ever walked the dunes between Jerusalem and Galilee, rode an ass in Damascus or faced his fate on a cross planted atop a hill, mythical characters were rising from the dead.



    So, really, what we have here is myth sharing. Clearly, since Jesus came after all these other resurrected characters from what amount to fairy tales, reason dictates the Jesus myth too is a fairy tale.

    Now, of course, Christians will say those other resurrections are myths but the resurrection of Jesus was real. Of course, we know better. Fact remains, Jesus myth is just as contrived as the Osirus and Achilles myths. Is there any doubt?
    The quote from Mettinger differs from what you claim.
    Okay....let's see if you can put your money where your mouth is..... Here is the challenge:


    Show us the actual passages narrating the supposed parallel.


  2. #22
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    101,982

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    The quote from Mettinger differs from what you claim.
    Okay....let's see if you can put your money where your mouth is..... Here is the challenge:


    Show us the actual passages narrating the supposed parallel.

    The parallels are that cultures which lived thousands of years before your precious Jesus had similar resurrection myths. Drops mic.

  3. #23
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    101,982

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    You assume the religion of Christ began with His mortal life but that is not what the Bible implies. It implies that the religion began with Adam. If Adam and Eve were taught of Christ, and LDS scriptures teach just that, and they taught their offspring about Christ, then knowledge of Christ and His resurrection was basically known from the very beginning . Then there is a really simple reason why many religions the pre-date Christ's mortal ministry have elements of resurrection, virgin birth, etc. It Is simply because they are corruptions from a more ancient, pure original.
    Uh....wut?

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,593

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The parallels are that cultures which lived thousands of years before your precious Jesus had similar resurrection myths. Drops mic.
    Give specific parallels! What particular resurrection myths?

    Your own source (Mettinger) had never said that Christianity was copied or had a "myth-sharing" with pagans! In fact, he doesn't believe that!
    Last edited by tosca1; 12-17-17 at 09:05 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,593

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The parallels are that cultures which lived thousands of years before your precious Jesus had similar resurrection myths. Drops mic.

    Here's another quote from Mettinger, busting your bs!


    “Then Mettinger said he was going to take exception to that nearly universal scholarly conviction,” Licona continued. “He takes a decidedly minority position and claims that there are at least three and possibly as many as five dying and rising gods that predate Christianity. But the key question is this: Are there any actual parallels between these myths and Jesus’ resurrection?”

    “What did Mettinger conclude?” I asked.

    “In the end, after combing through all of these accounts and critically analyzing them, Mettinger adds that none of these serve as parallels to Jesus. None of them,”
    Licona emphasized.


    “They are far different from the reports of Jesus rising from the dead. They occurred in the unspecified and distant past and were usually related to the seasonal life-and-death cycle of vegetation. In contrast, Jesus’ resurrection isn’t repeated, isn’t related to changes in the seasons, and was sincerely believed to be an actual event by those who lived in the same generation of the historical Jesus. In addition, Mettinger concludes that ‘there is no evidence for the death of the dying and rising gods as vicarious suffering for sins.’”
    https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/20...rom-mythology/

  6. #26
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    101,982

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    Here's another quote from Mettinger, busting your bs!



    https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/20...rom-mythology/
    No parallels except also coming back from the dead.

    Think about my title: Something borrowed, something new...

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    09-15-19 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Uh....wut?
    If Adam and Eve in 3900 BC are teaching their offspring that the Messiah in the future will be born of a virgin, will be the Son of God, will perform a sacrifice for sin, and will be the first ressurrected of the human family, it is logical over the course of thousands of years that all kinds of religions would descend from the true original with traces of the original.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,593

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    No parallels except also coming back from the dead.
    .....no parallels, because you can't name one!

    Furthermore, your own source Mettinger, doesn't agree with you!




    Think about my title: Something borrowed, something new...
    Yeah, I saw your title and I say.......your title is faulty!

    The Resurrection wasn't borrowed (as you claimed).
    And your author Mettinger, haven't said anything like what you're trying to attribute to him.
    In fact, he concluded the contrary to what you're claiming!

    Which means, you jumped the gun when you read that cockamamie claim in some sites, and you must've thought you got an "aha moment!".....but alas, you just relied on Wiki to back it up.


    So now, it's like a pie that landed squarely on your face!
    Last edited by tosca1; 12-17-17 at 09:31 PM.

  9. #29
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    101,982

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    .....no parallels, because you can't name one!

    Furthermore, your own source Mettinger, doesn't agree with you!






    Yeah, I saw your title and I say.......your title is faulty!
    The Resurrection wasn't borrowed (as you claimed).
    And your author Mettinger, haven't said anything like what you're trying to attribute to him.
    In fact, he concluded the contrary to what you're claiming!

    Which means, you jumped the gun when you read that cockamamie claim in some sites, and you must've thought you got an "aha moment!".....but alas, you just relied on Wiki.

    So now, it's like a pie that landed squarely on your face!
    Coming back from the dead is the parallel....a common myth for millennia.

  10. #30
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    101,982

    Re: The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    If Adam and Eve in 3900 BC are teaching their offspring that the Messiah in the future will be born of a virgin, will be the Son of God, will perform a sacrifice for sin, and will be the first ressurrected of the human family, it is logical over the course of thousands of years that all kinds of religions would descend from the true original with traces of the original.
    Yeah, that must explain it

Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •