Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1002

Thread: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

  1. #991
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]Enough. If you can't debate the OP without insulting other posters, you will be removed from the thread. From here on, address the topic and the topic only. Posts made before this in thread warning are still subject to moderation.

  2. #992
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    Well, when it became illegal for Christians to burn us at the stake, and hang us, we wanted to move away from the words Christians used for us, so we just picked the one that meant the complete opposite of anyone that is willing to kill because their imaginary friend told them to.
    Well, that's all well and good.

    It still does not change the fact that you are defining yourself by their terms.

    Were you actually on a committee or something in which you all decided that the train of logic you just described was approved for publication?

    "Christians", for better or worse, is a title that has a positive affiliation. Same with Jews. Both are Theists. Theists also is a positive statement of something that is.

    This seems not much different than a woman describing herself as a not-man or a Republican describing himself as a not-Democrat. Just seems a tad negative. Also greatly non-defining.

    Why describe yourself in terms of what you are not? Why not describe yourself in terms of what you are?
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  3. #993
    Anti Fascist Alt L Ctrl C
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,530

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    Nobody in these forums has ever suggested that all Christians are Young Earthers.
    And I have yet to see that refuted by anyone zyzygy; I know for a fact that I wouldn't suggest that there is only one brand of delusion regarding life and diversity of life.

    However, we can see how religion 'factionalises' thinking by considering theistic evolution, old earth creation, young earth creation, panspermia...
    Last edited by William Rea; 12-07-17 at 02:27 AM.

  4. #994
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Right, like many other religious people you prefer your atheists to be silent, obsequious and only willing to enter a debate on your terms and you think that cheap shots made at skeptics posting skeptically in a skeptical forum section should just be allowed to ride.

    Your words pretend to have some kind of conciliatory tone but, they do not, they are simply the rationalisations of confirmation bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    Now that you mention it - I've been wondering about that, you know. It's like a pebble in my shoe.
    I've wanted to ask that question but not sure where to post it (and had never really had the chance
    to get to it).


    Why is Philosophy deemed as the "Skeptic's Forum?"


    PHILOSOPHY should be the NEUTRAL ARENA where we can discuss it out through reason - so to speak - without any restraint and fear of getting thread-locked or thread-banned!



    To say that Philosophy section is for the skeptics - that's like a slap on all religious people.
    What's the message being given here? That the religious are dumb?
    That they are ignorant.....and their belief - particularly the Christian belief - is something outside of reason? That, it's a foregone conclusion the skeptics are the only ones with reason?
    That's what it implies.


    If atheists or skeptics feel so sensitive about their ideology - that any topic about the existence of God, or the Bible, is seen as an attack on an atheist's belief - then, why not have your own section (where the religious will have to tread carefully should they want to enter it)?

    Philosophy Section should be a neutral arena. That's my pov.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more and I've said that all along...even posted the definition of philosophy, showing that faith can be a philosophy as well as anything else...have an atheists /skeptics forum and name it that...philosophy was a poor choice if it was meant only for atheists/skeptics......
    Moderator's Warning:
    Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]All of you need to STOP discussing what the focus of each sub-forum should be. The Mod Team will determine that. Your job is to follow the rules of each sub-forum. I hope that is clear. Further discussion on this issue will result in consequences.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #995
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    167

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    How can he provide what does not exist?
    How can you provide what exists, such as what you yourself did today but a year ago. What did you do that day? What did you say that day? Or were you vaporized that day?

  6. #996
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    167

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    What a quaintly delusional lie. You ignorance of the bible is really on full display now.

    Still awaiting any evidence of the resurrection, and you're still running from providing any.
    History basically has no evidence. Can you present everything you said and did just yesterday. If you can't evidence 2 things you did yesterday, it means we 70 billion humans with 2 things can't be evidence in a day. It's 140 billion things can't ever be evidenced in a human day (this is yet a very conservative figure as you did and said much more than just 2 things a day).

    This is the reality you kind completely failed to lived with!

  7. #997
    Visual Opportunist
    Tanngrisnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    History basically has no evidence. Can you present everything you said and did just yesterday. If you can't evidence 2 things you did yesterday, it means we 70 billion humans with 2 things can't be evidence in a day. It's 140 billion things can't ever be evidenced in a human day (this is yet a very conservative figure as you did and said much more than just 2 things a day).

    This is the reality you kind completely failed to lived with!
    LOL! If that's the case, there's no evidence that you just posted that and I'm replying to nothing. And 70 billion humans? Wut?

    Thinking things through before posting is quite important, wouldn't you say?
    Well, he see this one particularly hot chick and not does she bag he slackjawed, but he lets a "Whoa" slip out

  8. #998
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    167

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    LOL! If that's the case, there's no evidence that you just posted that and I'm replying to nothing. And 70 billion humans? Wut?

    Thinking things through before posting is quite important, wouldn't you say?
    That evidenced what? Anyone can log in with an ID to type anything? Tell me it evidenced what?

    Again, do you have any evidence of what you just did and said yesterday, or how about today but a year ago? Show us!

    If you can't show us the evidence, it means that we have 70 billion humans who can't present such an evidence of what they did and said in a day!


    In a nutshell, humans are blocked from direct access to the past. We can get to know what you did today but a year ago if a credible eye-witness (such as a reporter from CNN) has written down what you did for us to believe with faith. That's the way how we can get to know the past!

    Wake up from dreams!
    Last edited by Hawkins; 12-11-17 at 10:44 AM.

  9. #999
    Visual Opportunist
    Tanngrisnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    That evidenced what? Anyone can log in with an ID to type anything? Tell me it evidenced what?

    Again, do you have any evidence of what you just did and said yesterday, or how about today but a year ago? Show us!

    If you can't show us the evidence, it means that we have 70 billion humans who can't present such an evidence of what they did and said in a day!
    Wow. Here I am, responding to a post that never happened! Incredible!

    Yes, I have evidence of what happened yesterday. What an odd and silly question.
    Well, he see this one particularly hot chick and not does she bag he slackjawed, but he lets a "Whoa" slip out

  10. #1000
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,994

    Re: Why are atheistse so desperate to insist all Christians are "young earthers?"[W:991]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    How can you provide what exists, such as what you yourself did today but a year ago. What did you do that day? What did you say that day? Or were you vaporized that day?
    I exist. There is no proof of the existence of the magic Jesus.
    "Nothing helps scenery like bacon and eggs."-Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •