Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 189 of 189

Thread: I reject Humanism

  1. #181
    Guru
    devildavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,013

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    There is an agreement in fact, amongst most philosophers. There is a dispute, though, about how to account for them. Are you advocating eliminative materialism? That is a fringe position, even amongst materialists.
    This suggests you are wrong about philosophical agreement. But again, qualia is merely a philosophical term which is dependent on physical sensations. The physical is still the basis for everything, including the ability to create this thing we call philosophy.

    Qualia have traditionally been thought to be intrinsic qualities of experience that are directly available to introspection. However, some philosophers offer theories of qualia that deny one or both of those features.
    Qualia | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
    Remember Bowling Green! Remember Atlanta! Remember Sweden!

  2. #182
    Anti Fascist Alt L Ctrl C
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    There is an agreement in fact, amongst most philosophers. There is a dispute, though, about how to account for them. Are you advocating eliminative materialism? That is a fringe position, even amongst materialists.
    Then produce your immaterial and please don't tell me I can feel the wind but not see it or such like.

  3. #183
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,761

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Given that the starting dogma of said poster is that we are 'gnus' and 'snowflake New Atheists' I figured it wouldn't go much further than bald assertions with nothing but apologetics to back them up coming from him.

    It's not just a trend I have noticed on this forum either. I have noticed other forums having a string of theists using dualism as an apologetic tool. Must be a 'New Theist' it 'alt-Theist' thing.
    It actually is a revival of of an older philosophy whose argument had fallen out of favor. There are whole books written on that 'dualism as evidence for God', and the arguments he mentioned as promoting dualism. It is very sophomoric.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  4. #184
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,607

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    It actually is a revival of of an older philosophy whose argument had fallen out of favor. There are whole books written on that 'dualism as evidence for God', and the arguments he mentioned as promoting dualism. It is very sophomoric.
    Dualism and gods are both inventions of mankind.
    "Nothing helps scenery like bacon and eggs."-Mark Twain.

  5. #185
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,761

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    Dualism and gods are both inventions of mankind.
    I do not see any evidence otherwise. I don't see any evidence that the mind has a component that is not based on the biochemical interactions of the brain.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  6. #186
    Anti Fascist Alt L Ctrl C
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    I do not see any evidence otherwise. I don't see any evidence that the mind has a component that is not based on the biochemical interactions of the brain.
    Mind altering drugs demonstrate a strong connection between the mind and the physical.

  7. #187
    It's Just Boris.
    Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    West end of the Erie Canal (That's Buffalo, NY for those of you in Rio Linda)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Do you understand what the word 'secularism' means?
    What amazes me about William Rea is that all of those symbols in his Avatar denote Communism, the ultimate in secular humanism. And we all see the death and destruction Communism/Socialism brings.


    11/8/16: A day of great relief for America

  8. #188
    Anti Fascist Alt L Ctrl C
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    What amazes me about William Rea is that all of those symbols in his Avatar denote Communism, the ultimate in secular humanism. And we all see the death and destruction Communism/Socialism brings.
    My avatar acts as a filter, you failed the test.

  9. #189
    Guru
    devildavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,013

    Re: I reject Humanism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    What amazes me about William Rea is that all of those symbols in his Avatar denote Communism, the ultimate in secular humanism. And we all see the death and destruction Communism/Socialism brings.
    Communism is not the ultimate in secular humanism. Death and destruction were quite rampant long before Communism was even invented.
    Remember Bowling Green! Remember Atlanta! Remember Sweden!

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •