Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116
Results 1,151 to 1,155 of 1155

Thread: Why I am non-religious

  1. #1151
    geo liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,068

    Re: Why I am non-religious

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Well, I am not dismissing them. You are straw manning me. I can point out things on how the text disagrees.. by showing mistranslation and context. Bit. for all the claims for being an atheist... you are approching the text with a very christian attitude and preconceptions about the texts.
    Claiming that God was talking to Solomon is not "showing misrtranslation and context". It's just substituting your own personal interpretation for the Christian one and then defeating it - that's strawmanning.

    If you want to honestly debate, you'll have to start with the premise that God was speaking about Jesus and disprove that through text and scholarly work. Or, you could start with your own claim and provide scholarly evidence.

    Ultimately, no Christian will accept your interpretation over that of thousands of Christian scholars. The best you can do is provide something more meaningful than "I think he was talking about Solomon, and I can prove Solomon was not perfect".

  2. #1152
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,327

    Re: Why I am non-religious

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Claiming that God was talking to Solomon is not "showing misrtranslation and context". It's just substituting your own personal interpretation for the Christian one and then defeating it - that's strawmanning.

    If you want to honestly debate, you'll have to start with the premise that God was speaking about Jesus and disprove that through text and scholarly work. Or, you could start with your own claim and provide scholarly evidence.

    Ultimately, no Christian will accept your interpretation over that of thousands of Christian scholars. The best you can do is provide something more meaningful than "I think he was talking about Solomon, and I can prove Solomon was not perfect".
    Since I have not discussed 'God was talking to Solomon' at all, in any passage, i would have to call bull on what you said. And, there is this thing known as 'reading the text', and 'reading in context, via surrounding passages, and cultural concepts of the day'. Disagreement is of course feasible. What is important in debate is the ability to support your view, and when discussing the meaning of a passage, to use the actual words in the passage.. and perhaps cross reference the way the words are used in other context as support.
    Knee-jerk anti-government sentiment is not a viable political philosophy.

  3. #1153
    geo liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,068

    Re: Why I am non-religious

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Since I have not discussed 'God was talking to Solomon' at all, in any passage, i would have to call bull on what you said.
    Then you understand that Solomon was a vehicle for God's promise to David and not the subject of that promise? I didn't realize we were in agreement there. I thought you were discounting the cited verses of Chronicles as referring to Solomon.

    And, there is this thing known as 'reading the text', and 'reading in context, via surrounding passages, and cultural concepts of the day'. Disagreement is of course feasible. What is important in debate is the ability to support your view, and when discussing the meaning of a passage, to use the actual words in the passage.. and perhaps cross reference the way the words are used in other context as support.
    That fine. But we need to argue against the actual, scholarly, Christian interpretation and not personal interpretations.

    You can claim that God was not talking about Jesus, but you've got a mountain of Christian scholarship against your claim. You'll need to being something material on your side.

  4. #1154
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,327

    Re: Why I am non-religious

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Then you understand that Solomon was a vehicle for God's promise to David and not the subject of that promise? I didn't realize we were in agreement there. I thought you were discounting the cited verses of Chronicles as referring to Solomon.



    That fine. But we need to argue against the actual, scholarly, Christian interpretation and not personal interpretations.

    You can claim that God was not talking about Jesus, but you've got a mountain of Christian scholarship against your claim. You'll need to being something material on your side.
    If you read what I wrote.. I said that was the Jewish tradition. When it comes to who the Jewish messiah will be, that is up the the Jews, not the Christians.
    Knee-jerk anti-government sentiment is not a viable political philosophy.

  5. #1155
    geo liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,068

    Re: Why I am non-religious

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    If you read what I wrote.. I said that was the Jewish tradition.
    You're saying that Solomon being a vehicle to God's promise to David, and not the subject of that promise, is in congruence with Jewish tradition? If so, I can believe that. Anyone familiar with the Bible knows Solomon was not perfect, so no one should think Solomon was the subject in question.

    When it comes to who the Jewish messiah will be, that is up the the Jews, not the Christians.
    Some Jews made that decision and Christianity was born.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •