Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 849

Thread: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,394

    Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]







    Although the literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who believes that God does not exist,” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, 14% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit.



    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...bout-atheists/



    By all definition, you are an agnostic, unless you believe that God does not exist.
    Last edited by tosca1; 01-20-15 at 06:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,394

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    So it is disquieting that one cannot straightforwardly distinguish New Atheists from religionists in terms of 'unbelievers' vs 'believers'. These atheists are believers. They not only hold specific religious beliefs - about the existence of God, the divine nature of the universe, the proper interpretation of sacred texts, and so on. They hold them with passion and fervour.



    First, the fact that atheists' beliefs about the divine are all negative in content doesn't mean that they aren't religious in orientation and character. After all, negative beliefs are central to many religions, e.g. that there is no more than one god, or, in some versions of Buddhism, that there are no gods. Indeed, it is striking that this kind of atheism is constructed in the same negative way as religious heresies, i.e. by beginning with orthodox beliefs and then rejecting one or more of them for more or less intellectually convincing reasons.

    Second, the fervour of new atheism more resembles that of evangelical religions than a purely intellectual movement, such as the science it claims to identify with. Like members of many other religions (such as Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons) new atheists appear committed to sharing the Good News they have discovered with everyone else, and even to see proselytising as a sacred duty that is inseparable from their faith as a whole. Part of being this kind of atheist is to preach to the heathen masses and seek to save them from their false gods by converting them to the Truth.

    To put it another way, even if I meet the strict definition of atheist because I believe there is no god, the way I hold that belief differs from the New Atheists. If I am atheist I am an apathetic one: the non-existence of god is a matter of great insignificance to me. And isn't that how it should be if atheism is true?


    The Philosopher's Beard: Why I am not an atheist

  3. #3
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    The great thing about being an atheist is that you don't have to give a flying sh!t about what another atheist says about his/her atheism.

  4. #4
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American Refugee in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,527

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    No one can prove that god does, or does not exist. The difference between the terms atheist and agnostic has more to do with the understanding of the burden of proof. Both atheists and agnostics will admit that it's theoretically possible that god exists, but the atheist recognizes that when there's neither evidence for or against something that no one has ever seen or can prove, it's better to assume the negative position rather than the positive one.

    For instance, I don't waste one second wondering if pink unicorns are real. Why? Because there is absolutely no evidence to support it. Could pink unicorns exist? Sure, they could, but I'm not going to mentally hold open the possibility of their existence until there's a reason to do so. I'm not going to label myself a pink-unicorn agnostic just because it might possibly exist.

    Now, let's apply this test in reverse. I'm telling you that there are 10 gods, each with different powers, fire, water, earth, etc. Are you atheistic toward my gods because you don't believe in them? After all, I could theoretically be correct so you should hold that possibility open in the back of your mind, right?

    There are TONS of gods you don't believe in, I just took that one further than you. How does that make me dishonest and hypocritical?

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    97,994
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post






    Although the literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who believes that God does not exist,” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, 14% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit.



    5 facts about atheists | Pew Research Center



    By all definition, you are an agnostic, unless you believe that God does not exist.
    Literally, atheist means "not a theist". Learning how the English language works is key to understanding it. The most common full definition of atheist is "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods". I bolded the part that escapes you.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,394

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Literally, atheist means "not a theist". Learning how the English language works is key to understanding it. The most common full definition of atheist is "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods". I bolded the part that escapes you.
    So how do you define a theist?


    theist:
    belief in the existence of a god or gods,



    So what does it makes an atheist if he is not a theist?

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,394

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    I've also hear this silly explanation from some atheists talking about.....I think it was Dawkins who presented this too.

    "1% believing that God could exist compared to the 99% belief that He doesn't exist" - so therefore they are atheists.


    Let me ask you:

    If you have a bucket of drinking water, and you see me spit just a tiny little drop in it - will you consider it still clean enough for you to drink? After all, what's a tiny drop of spit to a whole bucket of clean water?

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,394

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No one can prove that god does, or does not exist. The difference between the terms atheist and agnostic has more to do with the understanding of the burden of proof. Both atheists and agnostics will admit that it's theoretically possible that god exists, but the atheist recognizes that when there's neither evidence for or against something that no one has ever seen or can prove, it's better to assume the negative position rather than the positive one.

    For instance, I don't waste one second wondering if pink unicorns are real. Why? Because there is absolutely no evidence to support it. Could pink unicorns exist? Sure, they could, but I'm not going to mentally hold open the possibility of their existence until there's a reason to do so. I'm not going to label myself a pink-unicorn agnostic just because it might possibly exist.

    Now, let's apply this test in reverse. I'm telling you that there are 10 gods, each with different powers, fire, water, earth, etc. Are you atheistic toward my gods because you don't believe in them? After all, I could theoretically be correct so you should hold that possibility open in the back of your mind, right?

    There are TONS of gods you don't believe in, I just took that one further than you. How does that make me dishonest and hypocritical?


    Either you believe that God or gods exist, or you don't!

    The rest is just cockamamie b**** simply because, common sense dictates that you'd have to be agnostic - that is, IF YOU RELY ON SCIENCE!


    You can't have it both ways.

  9. #9
    Guru
    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,361

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    By all definition, you are an agnostic, unless you believe that God does not exist.
    Agnostic isn't a middle ground between theism and atheism, it exists on an entirely different line. (A)theism relates to belief while (a)gnosticism relates to knowledge. Agnostic is generally about it not being possible to know or prove whether any gods exist or not. A personal can be an agnostic atheist (and I'd argue most are, including myself) and it's also technically possible to be an agnostic theist, believing in a god on the basis of faith yet acknowledging their existence can't be proven.

    Different people apply different definitions to the word atheist, often for specific purposes. I guess the key question is whether you believe a person could be neither atheist nor theist (remembering that is not agnostic). The argument against that is that theist means someone who believes in a god or gods and so anyone who doesn't fit that definition, regardless of their certainly or specific details, is an atheist by definition.

    One benefit of that idea at least is that it makes clear how diverse and unconnected all the "non-theists" in the world are and how flawed lumping all atheists together and presuming a single mind-set of them is.

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Anti-Socialist
    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    50,483

    re: Morer Questions For The Atheist [W:839]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No one can prove that god does, or does not exist. The difference between the terms atheist and agnostic has more to do with the understanding of the burden of proof. Both atheists and agnostics will admit that it's theoretically possible that god exists, but the atheist recognizes that when there's neither evidence for or against something that no one has ever seen or can prove, it's better to assume the negative position rather than the positive one.

    For instance, I don't waste one second wondering if pink unicorns are real. Why? Because there is absolutely no evidence to support it. Could pink unicorns exist? Sure, they could, but I'm not going to mentally hold open the possibility of their existence until there's a reason to do so. I'm not going to label myself a pink-unicorn agnostic just because it might possibly exist.

    Now, let's apply this test in reverse. I'm telling you that there are 10 gods, each with different powers, fire, water, earth, etc. Are you atheistic toward my gods because you don't believe in them? After all, I could theoretically be correct so you should hold that possibility open in the back of your mind, right?

    There are TONS of gods you don't believe in, I just took that one further than you. How does that make me dishonest and hypocritical?
    Who said you were dishonest and hypocritical (I admit, I didn't watch the video)? There's a difference between "I don't believe there is a God" and "There is no God". The second is an affirmative statement of belief (actually presented as fact). Those who espouse the second tend to be the most evangelical of atheists seemingly taking personal offense that others do believe in God.

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •