Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124

Thread: Done with so-called smart technology!

  1. #61
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    39,708

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Mom isn’t there yet, but will be soon. It’s good that you are able to keep a close eye on her. That’s one of the reasons I moved closer. I was about 9 hours away. Now I am 2. I am actually with her this week. This month kind of sucks and I needed a break.
    I am 20 minutes away. When she moved out of the old house to get into a house with single floor living, the reason she choose that location was that it was close enough to me that I could help if need be, and it was reasonably close to hospitals. She chose living near me rather than my sister because of the cost of the houses. She got a better house for less money than being near my sister (who is about an hour away).

    It is becoming the custom for the last year or two that my sister and her husband have been coming over to my mothers house for dinner about once a month. I rather suspect because it's because my sister wants to spend the time with my mother while my mother is still here. I have not for the last few weeks because of some health issues of my own but typically, I got over once a week , do some extra shopping for her, and then visit for an hour or two and do things she's not physically able to.
    No one needs a war more than a politician who is being impeached

  2. #62
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,185

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter View Post
    I'm guessing you're over 50.
    So am I, what's your point?
    We have choices. Isn't that great?





  3. #63
    Sage
    RetiredUSN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Norfolk Virginia area.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,480

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    I ran my business with a smart phone and a printer in my truck.

    I have always used the "Otterbox" cases and they can take a hell of a beating.

    I couldn't live without my smart phone. ( yeah, I could, but not much fun)
    “It’s easier to run for office than to run the office.”
    Tip O'Niell

  4. #64
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Western USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    216

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Why are you so concerned with where other people’s money goes? What do you care?

    You should honestly care as much about where my money goes, as I care how much money you are making in investing, which is *not at all.*
    Why? Because I'm an investor and I track the DJIA fairly regularly.

    Our nation's economy is largely consumer-driven, so blowing a good chunk of your income on these smart phones is contributing to one of the best growth periods in recent history.

    It's obvious you don't care, and for that matter probably know very little about investing, but anyone that has a vested interest in the market is grateful for capital gains as a result of other people's spending habits. I hope you buy a 6th POS in the near future.

  5. #65
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Western USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    216

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    What it means to me is peace of mine. I also took her wired phone, and replaced it with a wireless base, that has 3 different stations. I put the stations in places low to the ground near where she spends her most time, so if she fell, she could get to it.

    Sure enough, she fell again, and she could use the phone to call me. Those were the only two times she fell... but being able to get to her quickly after it happened made what I paid for everything more than worth it. She sprained things once, and it took a while for her to get 100%, but no broken bones.

    The fact she fell during times I was working, and I sent a note to my manager that I had to go pick her up made my manager make me ineligible to be part of contingency planning of the Union went on strike. No being forced to be a scab for me for now!.

    My mother is 93 , and still going strong. Last year, she decided to loose weight, so she cut out sugar and went low salt, and managed to lose 38 pounds. If she falls again, that will make picking her up easier. .. and I hope that lowers her risk of falling.
    Your mother's situation hits close to home because my aunt is also elderly and prone to falling.

    She lives alone, is partially disabled, but can still walk and get around on a limited basis. She didn't have a security system or any means of outside contact if she couldn't reach the phone.

    This is why her family had Life Alert installed in her home – a great service that has been around over 30 years and might be considered old-school or outdated by today's tech nerds, but it has been exactly what she needed.

    Several months ago when she had an accident in her kitchen, she pressed the call button on her necklace pendant and she got an immediate response. The paramedics were at her home in a matter of minutes to rescue her.

    We also got her a combination desk/cordless phone with talking caller ID which she loves because she doesn't have to answer the calls with numbers she doesn't recognize. She would have no use for smart watches, smart phones, ipads, Bluetooth, or any other touch screen bullsh!t.

    Imagine that – a home with an ordinary land line and an analog emergency system that can be a lifesaver to the elderly, the disabled, and the sick. Now that's what I call a truly smart device!

  6. #66
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,895

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie guy View Post
    In the last 4 years, I've gone through 2 smart phones which certainly aren't cheap to replace - both of them were dropped and the glass shattered. Since I rarely use a phone except for the occasional text message, and its original purpose which is to make a call and actually speak with someone, I decided to ditch the smart phone and revert to a flip phone. Go ahead and laugh but it's practical, much cheaper, and way sturdier - it doesn't break if dropped!

    Another reason I'm done with smart phones is the addiction so many people have to them. I could never understand the fascination of constantly being glued to these devices, and for what? To be on social media, watching stupid youtube videos, playing ridiculous games, or checking texts and email every freaking minute? No thanks, I have a personal computer for those kinds of things which I only use when absolutely necessary.

    Also, I'm saying thanks but no thanks to other so-called smart devices like TVs, doorbells, cars, and whatever else. We as a society have become tech nerds to the point where we rely on robotics to do everything for us. Most of all, smart technology is not exactly safe because of the hackers. I realize a standard desktop computer on an internet cable line can be hacked too but the smart devices stand a greater chance of this because of the wireless technology.

    These are just a few of the reasons why you won't catch me buried in a phone or those other worthless contraptions. I'm smarter than the so-called smart devices because I actually prefer human interaction and life in the real world!
    Smartphones are fine if you use them appropriately. "Smart" in-home technology scares the bejeesus out of me. If I've got door locks that can be remotely controlled, who says that a hacker might not be able to unlock my doors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dans La Lune View Post
    Bernie was a better candidate who didn’t lob a single smear against Hillary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    I would trust the KGB more than our own CIA and FBI
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,103

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie guy View Post
    In the last 4 years, I've gone through 2 smart phones which certainly aren't cheap to replace - both of them were dropped and the glass shattered. Since I rarely use a phone except for the occasional text message, and its original purpose which is to make a call and actually speak with someone, I decided to ditch the smart phone and revert to a flip phone. Go ahead and laugh but it's practical, much cheaper, and way sturdier - it doesn't break if dropped!

    Another reason I'm done with smart phones is the addiction so many people have to them. I could never understand the fascination of constantly being glued to these devices, and for what? To be on social media, watching stupid youtube videos, playing ridiculous games, or checking texts and email every freaking minute? No thanks, I have a personal computer for those kinds of things which I only use when absolutely necessary.

    Also, I'm saying thanks but no thanks to other so-called smart devices like TVs, doorbells, cars, and whatever else. We as a society have become tech nerds to the point where we rely on robotics to do everything for us. Most of all, smart technology is not exactly safe because of the hackers. I realize a standard desktop computer on an internet cable line can be hacked too but the smart devices stand a greater chance of this because of the wireless technology.

    These are just a few of the reasons why you won't catch me buried in a phone or those other worthless contraptions. I'm smarter than the so-called smart devices because I actually prefer human interaction and life in the real world!
    I've had a flip phone for a couple years. Works great. Mine is the outdoor version, which means water and drop proof. I've field tested both.

  8. #68
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,062
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    LOL I remember Thomas Guides, had one in the front seat of my Supra for easy reference everytime I did some field calls in L.A. Still got lost though, lol.

    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that was given free since Im still a silent partner in my BPO firm. It's very handy while traveling because of Google Maps, the internet browser and the camera, though I ended up in someone's house while going through the back alleyway in Bangkok one night lol. Lugging a laptop around while sightseeing in another country just isnt ideal anymore.
    You know what's really great? Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
    If you have a new enough vehicle, either app will just display everything from the phone screen on your dashboard radio display screen.
    All you need is to have your car and your phone "shake hands".

    So while my phone sits in the dashboard pocket, my nav is on the big dashboard screen and the audio prompts play through the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    Putin would make a better president than Hillary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    It IS NOT the job of the United States government to protect reporters overseas. It IS the job the United States government to preserve the freedom of the press here in the US.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,185

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    You know what's really great? Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
    If you have a new enough vehicle, either app will just display everything from the phone screen on your dashboard radio display screen.
    All you need is to have your car and your phone "shake hands".

    So while my phone sits in the dashboard pocket, my nav is on the big dashboard screen and the audio prompts play through the speakers.
    Love it, esp navigation. I'd be lost in India without it by now. I can barely spell direction and am completely confused by maps. Not sure why.





  10. #70
    Guru Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Alaska (61.5°N, -149°W)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,547

    Re: Done with so-called smart technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie guy View Post
    In the last 4 years, I've gone through 2 smart phones which certainly aren't cheap to replace - both of them were dropped and the glass shattered. Since I rarely use a phone except for the occasional text message, and its original purpose which is to make a call and actually speak with someone, I decided to ditch the smart phone and revert to a flip phone. Go ahead and laugh but it's practical, much cheaper, and way sturdier - it doesn't break if dropped!

    Another reason I'm done with smart phones is the addiction so many people have to them. I could never understand the fascination of constantly being glued to these devices, and for what? To be on social media, watching stupid youtube videos, playing ridiculous games, or checking texts and email every freaking minute? No thanks, I have a personal computer for those kinds of things which I only use when absolutely necessary.

    Also, I'm saying thanks but no thanks to other so-called smart devices like TVs, doorbells, cars, and whatever else. We as a society have become tech nerds to the point where we rely on robotics to do everything for us. Most of all, smart technology is not exactly safe because of the hackers. I realize a standard desktop computer on an internet cable line can be hacked too but the smart devices stand a greater chance of this because of the wireless technology.

    These are just a few of the reasons why you won't catch me buried in a phone or those other worthless contraptions. I'm smarter than the so-called smart devices because I actually prefer human interaction and life in the real world!
    I agree with you. I refused to get a cell phone because of the scam the telephone companies were pulling, charging both parties for the same call. I am only responsible for the calls I make. I refuse to pay for the calls other people make. So I kept my POTS landline.

    I've never owned a smart phone or a cell phone, nor do I intend to get either. If people want to contact me they can reach me at my home.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •