Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 124

Thread: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

  1. #111
    Sage
    Luther's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,529

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Roman Emperor Constantine changes the day of the Sabbath(Sat to Sun)


    Constantine Decrees "Sun-Day" as Day of Rest | History Channel on Foxtel
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  2. #112
    Educator HK.227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-20 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    849

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Roman Emperor Constantine changes the day of the Sabbath(Sat to Sun)

    Constantine Decrees "Sun-Day" as Day of Rest | History Channel on Foxtel
    Constantine was into Sol Invictus (Mithras the Sun god, he of the Heavenly Bull) before he became a Christian.

    Other coincidences.
    - Sol Invictus was a trifold unity, consisting of the rising sun, the midday sun, and the setting sun, who were three, yet one.
    - Mithras birthday was December 25th.
    - He was a virgin birth, born in a cave, placed in a manger, and tended to by shepherds. (Early pictures of the Virgin Mary often depict her holding baby Jesus in a cave.)
    - Mithra worshippers would consume the blood and flesh of Mithra in the form of bread and wine. (only the men though. No women allowed.)
    - "In Hoc Signo Victis" signifies a Sun Cross.

    Politics:
    After the great Jewish revolts, Christianity and Mithraism became the two leading religions of the Roman Empire. Emperors could rise or fall depending on which religion they supported. Amalgamizing the two would have made Constantine's rule stable, and ended the religious unrest of the first centuries.

    Of course these are just observations. Faith is personal.
    "Young man. This essay that you handed in is completely unacceptable! It's full of profanity, sexual innuendo, and rampant vulgarity. I am going to have to speak with your father!"
    "That's only fair. It were him what wrote it..."

  3. #113
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,305

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HK.227 View Post
    Constantine was into Sol Invictus (Mithras the Sun god, he of the Heavenly Bull) before he became a Christian.

    Other coincidences.
    - Sol Invictus was a trifold unity, consisting of the rising sun, the midday sun, and the setting sun, who were three, yet one.
    - Mithras birthday was December 25th.
    - He was a virgin birth, born in a cave, placed in a manger, and tended to by shepherds. (Early pictures of the Virgin Mary often depict her holding baby Jesus in a cave.)
    - Mithra worshippers would consume the blood and flesh of Mithra in the form of bread and wine. (only the men though. No women allowed.)
    - "In Hoc Signo Victis" signifies a Sun Cross.

    Politics:
    After the great Jewish revolts, Christianity and Mithraism became the two leading religions of the Roman Empire. Emperors could rise or fall depending on which religion they supported. Amalgamizing the two would have made Constantine's rule stable, and ended the religious unrest of the first centuries.

    Of course these are just observations. Faith is personal.
    Another coincidence. Tarsus, where Paul/Saul was born, was a city that was predominately followers of Mithraism in the 1st century
    No one needs a war more than a politician who is being impeached

  4. #114
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    03-13-20 @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,332

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    1. I have just returned from the BBC website.

    2. I read an article entitled "The most powerful word in English."

    a. It has only three letters.
    b. It has no meaning of its own but it can make a big difference in meaning as to whether it is used or not.
    c. Foreign speakers of English often have a big problem with it.

    3. Being computer illiterate, I cannot link to it. So just type in the words "BBC" and the article's title. I think that the information in that article will fascinate you as much as it fascinated me.

    (I have used it a total of five times in this post. If you are studying English as a foreign language, you will find this article especially helpful.)

  5. #115
    Teacher of All Things



    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    34,732

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    1. I have just returned from the BBC website.

    2. I read an article entitled "The most powerful word in English."

    a. It has only three letters.
    b. It has no meaning of its own but it can make a big difference in meaning as to whether it is used or not.
    c. Foreign speakers of English often have a big problem with it.

    3. Being computer illiterate, I cannot link to it. So just type in the words "BBC" and the article's title. I think that the information in that article will fascinate you as much as it fascinated me.

    (I have used it a total of five times in this post. If you are studying English as a foreign language, you will find this article especially helpful.)
    BBC - Culture - Is this the most powerful word in the English language?

    I always tell my first graders that it's the "most famous word of all".
    Not R or D 2020

  6. #116
    Worldly wandering wastrel
    Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The backwoods of "Bama
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    There is a town in Norway called "Hell"....and yes, every winter is does freeze over.
    Deplorable Scum

  7. #117
    Educator HK.227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-20 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    849

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Another coincidence. Tarsus, where Paul/Saul was born, was a city that was predominately followers of Mithraism in the 1st century
    Cool. Didn't know that.
    To be fair though, proto-Judaism (like all ancient cosmologies) had a number of links to solar deism, so the connection was not completely unwarranted.
    "Young man. This essay that you handed in is completely unacceptable! It's full of profanity, sexual innuendo, and rampant vulgarity. I am going to have to speak with your father!"
    "That's only fair. It were him what wrote it..."

  8. #118
    Guru
    Bergslagstroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Roman Emperor Constantine changes the day of the Sabbath(Sat to Sun)


    Constantine Decrees "Sun-Day" as Day of Rest | History Channel on Foxtel
    Relating to that you have what day the week start at. There it is sunday in most of North and South America while also parts of East Asia and East Africa. Saturday in large part of the Muslim world and monday in rest of the world.

    First Day of the Week in Different Countries

  9. #119
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    03-13-20 @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,332

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    Q: What did President Lincoln have in his pockets on the day he died?

    A: * A pocketknife. * a handkerchief. * A Confederate five-dollar bill. * Eight newspaper clippings praising him.



    Source: AARP Bulletin (print edition) for January/February , 2020, page 3.

  10. #120
    Heading North
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,240

    Re: The Official DP Interesting Fact Thread

    The first nation to recognize the newly-formed United States was Morocco in 1777
    Judge: Every day i come in and i meet the dregs of society...and then i meet their clients.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •