Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Free Speech

  1. #11
    Student Lumberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The number of people who believe in Free Speech has been shrinking for years.

    There are not a lot of us left.
    Absolutely correct and it is eventually going to have very serious ramifications....and not that far down the road.
    Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

  2. #12
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    44,626

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson Simpson View Post
    it's more like everybody misuses it. Free speech is you can't be imprisoned for your speech. It does not mean your speech does not have ramification. And of course, people continually make bogus claim that say their free speech is being violated.
    And, another thing these guys seem to forget is that you have a right to free speech, but you don’t have the right to an audience.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #13
    User NoMereRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VA, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    30

    Re: Free Speech

    This is the only standard for free speech that we need:

    "And what would a Ranger know of this matter?"

  4. #14
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    44,626

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    I have seen polls where students say they do not even care about free speech or they have no problem with restricting free speech....not understanding that the removal of free speech is one of the first things a totolatarian government institutes.

    At one time decades ago folks would stand on the street corner or gather in a barbershop or a store of some sort and talk politics....no one does that anymore...but a lot of folks do get on political message boards to discuss politics but they are severely restricted because of the various rules everyone has to agree to in order to get on the site. This is outrageous.....oh they use the excuse of 'this is private property' so we make the rules...if you do not like it go elsewhere....but they are all pretty much alike...thus a basic freedom is being brushed aside and very few complain about it.

    I could go on and on about this and other issues....but what it all comes down to ...we are creeping closer and closer to the point where it will not be possible to discuss politics or much of anything in a honest and truthful manner....everyone will be looking over their shoulder even when they say something to a trusted friend to make sure no one is listening in ....like in Stalinist Russia.
    Ah yes, itís just like Stalinist Russia if someone wonít let you spew racist garbage on their property.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #15
    Student Lumberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ah yes, it’s just like Stalinist Russia if someone won’t let you spew racist garbage on their property.

    Oh that is just another excuse they use....the problem being...what some consider racist garbage...and btw racism is not illegal.

    The problem with trying to protect some folks from criticism is that it restricts others from pointing out some truths that need to be told...as especially in the areas of crime, violence and terrorism. It is a matter of public safety... There are truths that need to be told about folks who have a propensity for violence, it should be pointed out and understood by the public that some belong to a group who go around the world comitting terrorism in the name of their god....but it is increasingly difficult to get the truth out about some of these groups. Not even to mention those folks know our laws and they use them against us.

    I remember a case in the area where I live....a woman was in her backyard raking leaves...it even had a rather high wall around it...however it did not stop a maniac from scaling it and cutting the womans throat for no reason whatsoever...unless he just hated white folk...but I doubt they even considered that angle....anyhow there was a huge search underway....the perp had been seen and they had a good description of him....but the media was not allowed to say what race he belonged to...though that would have undoubtedly helped in the manhunt.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 07-11-18 at 05:32 PM.
    Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

  6. #16
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    72,996

    Re: Free Speech

    It's only July and there are snowflakes everywhere. "Don't criticize what I say! Free speech!"

  7. #17
    Student Lumberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    And, another thing these guys seem to forget is that you have a right to free speech, but you don’t have the right to an audience.
    That is irrelevant to this topic. Anyhow I have no idea what your point is? Care to elaborate on that?


    How many even know what the first amendment says?..................Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

    Now one obvious and big problem with that is it only covers congress......I am thinking especially in terms of the internet and how it is becoming increasingly intolerant of free speech. I am not a lawyer but I think there is some sort of law governing the airwaves. Perhaps someone is familiar with that and whether or not it would apply to wifi signals that go out over the air?
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 07-11-18 at 05:50 PM.
    Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

  8. #18
    Student Lumberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Free Speech

    Social movements online: "The right to free speech should apply with full force on the internet"


    https://www.opendemocracy.net/protes...agle-interview


    If some of those who have little or no concern for free speech ever had to live in a totalitarian society....I think they would appreciate the concept of free speech a little more than what they do.

    I remember a fellow who had a position in some city government .......he gave a speech regarding some economic issue in the city government...he used the term 'niggardly' which has absolutely nothing to do with race...but he was fired anyhow because a member of a minority lodged a complaint.


    nig∑gard∑ly
    ˈniɡərdlē/Submit
    adjective
    1.
    not generous; stingy.
    "serving out the rations with a niggardly hand"
    synonyms: cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal; More
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 07-11-18 at 06:18 PM.
    Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

  9. #19
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    44,626

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Oh that is just another excuse they use....the problem being...what some consider racist garbage...and btw racism is not illegal.

    The problem with trying to protect some folks from criticism is that it restricts others from pointing out some truths that need to be told...as especially in the areas of crime, violence and terrorism. It is a matter of public safety... There are truths that need to be told about folks who have a propensity for violence, it should be pointed out and understood by the public that some belong to a group who go around the world comitting terrorism in the name of their god....but it is increasingly difficult to get the truth out about some of these groups. Not even to mention those folks know our laws and they use them against us.

    I remember a case in the area where I live....a woman was in her backyard raking leaves...it even had a rather high wall around it...however it did not stop a maniac from scaling it and cutting the womans throat for no reason whatsoever...unless he just hated white folk...but I doubt they even considered that angle....anyhow there was a huge search underway....the perp had been seen and they had a good description of him....but the media was not allowed to say what race he belonged to...though that would have undoubtedly helped in the manhunt.
    Who prevented the media from giving the perp’s race? After all, you said the media was “not allowed” to say.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #20
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    44,626

    Re: Free Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    That is irrelevant to this topic. Anyhow I have no idea what your point is? Care to elaborate on that?


    How many even know what the first amendment says?..................Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

    Now one obvious and big problem with that is it only covers congress......I am thinking especially in terms of the internet and how it is becoming increasingly intolerant of free speech. I am not a lawyer but I think there is some sort of law governing the airwaves. Perhaps someone is familiar with that and whether or not it would apply to wifi signals that go out over the air?
    Let me ask you something — if you allowed someone into your home, and that person told you they thought you were an asshole and that your wife was ugly, would you allow this person to remain in your home?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •