Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Fake News Thread

  1. #1
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,807

    Fake News Thread

    Happy weekend all.

    I was thinking that it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to the ever popular "fake news."

    Therefore, I dedicate this thread for the reporting of the various examples of "fake news" floating around the internetz.

    I suppose I should establish some kind of understanding of what definition of "fake news" shall be applicable to this thread. I'll try to not complicate the focus.

    If you find an example of some kind of blatant propaganda bull**** floating around, copy the link and share it here. Briefly explain why the link you shared is absolutely "fake news." Keep in mind that just because you do not want to believe it, doesn't necessarily qualify it as fake news. The responsibility of displaying WHY it's fake news, is upon the person posting the link. Belief, opinions, will carry no weight.

    Ex: Post the link and then comment, "This link says "X." I can prove that it's fake news and here is my evidence." Short and sweet.

    Things we all want to look at.

    1. The leading headline. ex: "President Obama creates giant mudslide killing in Texas 7 with 20 still missing. Heavy GOP districts were targeted." A headline that does not directly reflect the actual facts on the ground is to be labeled and accepted as "fake." This needs to be shown in the post.

    2. Note the source and see if we can establish the usual dot.com culprits and their frequency of creating midleading/fake news.

    3. Note the political lean on the piece of "Fake news." Is it a rightwing propaganda outlet? Is it a leftwing propaganda outlet? It would be interesting to see if any particular party or ideology is more prone to assimilate the bull**** "fake news" type of propaganda. Just remember, regardless of the lean of the "fake news," you STILL have to show the evidence that it is, in fact, "fake news." We might even get a clearer understanding which kind of ideologies are more honest in their presentations. It can go 2 ways. What we are trying to avoid is labeling an information piece simply because it comes from the rightwing leaning outlets. (Or, leftwing leaning.)

    4. Please do take advantage of the various fact check sites available throughout the internet. And, anyone who disagrees with a fact check sight, simply because it doesn't agree with them, must post evidence of it's shortcoming. Anytime, anyone, calls a recognized fact check site, (ie: Snopes, Politifact, FactChex, etc.,) "fake news," they will lose their debate by default. (Kinda like the Godwin's Law. ) You have to PROVE it's fake news and you have to post facts, or checked facts, to make your argument. You can't just say, "Well, it's FOXNews, so we all know it's fake." (Or, CNN. or CBS, NBC, etc.)

    If you can't find and post evidence of what you believe is true, then do us all a favor. Grab a beer, a bowl of popcorn, go sit in the corner and S.T.F.U. because nobody "in this thread" CARES what you believe.

    Keep this thread in mind, if tomorrow, or next week, you run across some fake news. The thread will be sitting here available to use.

    Have fun!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,952

    Re: Fake News Thread

    You can start by including every single anti-Trump article that you can find in the Mainstream Media including their talking potato heads, the non-Mainstream Media including THEIR talking potato heads, the entertainment media and every anti-Trump blog. Forget about Twitter. We already know that is manipulated by Twitter Corporate to only show anti-Trump stuff.

    In any case, I would add a bit to the definition of "fake news".

    1. Spin is fake.

    2. Unnamed sources is fake.

    So...y'all have fun, now.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #3
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,807

    Re: Fake News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You can start by including every single anti-Trump article that you can find in the Mainstream Media including their talking potato heads, the non-Mainstream Media including THEIR talking potato heads, the entertainment media and every anti-Trump blog. Forget about Twitter. We already know that is manipulated by Twitter Corporate to only show anti-Trump stuff.

    In any case, I would add a bit to the definition of "fake news".

    1. Spin is fake.

    2. Unnamed sources is fake.

    So...y'all have fun, now.
    So, what you just stated was that anything critical of President Trump from the MSM can automatically be considered, "fake news" right?

    Wrong!!!

    You have to debunk it with a "matter-of-factly" source. You cannot validate fake news with more fake news. That defeats the purpose.

    Have fun!

    (Scorekeeper, chalk one Pinocchio Nose up over there, on the right.)

    Here is an article that will assist folks here in identifying fake news when you see it. https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/don...-news-sites/3/
    Last edited by Captain America; 01-12-18 at 08:56 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,952

    Re: Fake News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    So, what you just stated was that anything critical of President Trump from the MSM can automatically be considered, "fake news" right?

    Wrong!!!

    You have to debunk it with a "matter-of-factly" source. You cannot validate fake news with more fake news. That defeats the purpose.

    Have fun!

    (Scorekeeper, chalk one Pinocchio Nose up over there, on the right.)
    There is no "matter-of-factly" source when the source is unnamed. When the news is an exercise in spin, speculation and innuendo there is no "matter-of-factly" source.

    ALL of the anti-Trump "news" falls into those two categories...and is, therefore, fake news.

    (keep your Nose)
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #5
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,807

    Re: Fake News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    There is no "matter-of-factly" source when the source is unnamed. When the news is an exercise in spin, speculation and innuendo there is no "matter-of-factly" source.

    ALL of the anti-Trump "news" falls into those two categories...and is, therefore, fake news.

    (keep your Nose)
    Please remember, your opinion doesn't mean doodly-squat in this particular thread.

    Post facts, figures or sources or just go grab a beer and watch the grown-up's play.

    Thank you.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #6
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    715

    Re: Fake News Thread

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/u...y-daniels.html
    Even thou NYT points out that Trump and his lawyers claim the stories false. These MSM think its fun to go ahead and run a story and just tell people its false inside the story. Knowing that just the headline itself is more damaging then the false story.
    Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, liberal, fanatical, criminal.

  7. #7
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,807

    Re: Fake News Thread

    A website called Last Line of Defense (sounds patriotic doesn't it?) put this story out recently. It was picked up by a site called Police Times and probably several other sites.

    Does it sound believable?

    No? Why?

    Yes? Why?

    Black Alabama Running Back Loses Scholarship Over SICK Anti-Trump Outburst

    And begin........

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #8
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,807

    Re: Fake News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jdog21 View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/u...y-daniels.html
    Even thou NYT points out that Trump and his lawyers claim the stories false. These MSM think its fun to go ahead and run a story and just tell people its false inside the story. Knowing that just the headline itself is more damaging then the false story.
    GREAT! Let's play....

    Here we go....

    A lawyer for President Trump orchestrated a $130,000 payment to a pornographic-film actress in October 2016 to prevent her from going public with claims of a consensual sexual encounter with Mr. Trump, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

    Did The Wall Street Journal, in fact, report this on Friday (today?) Fact or fake?

    FACT --->> https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-l...nce-1515787678

    Jacob Weisberg, editor-in-chief of the Slate Group, said on Friday that in a series of interviews with Ms. Clifford in August and October 2016, she told him she had an affair with Mr. Trump after meeting him at a 2006 celebrity golf tournament. She told him that Michael D. Cohen, a lawyer for Mr. Trump, had agreed during the presidential campaign to pay her the $130,000 if she kept the relationship secret, Mr. Weisberg said, adding that Ms. Clifford had told him she was tempted to go public because the lawyer was late in making the payment and she feared he might back out of their agreement. Fact or Fake?

    Undetermined: Until we have some sort of tangible evidence, recording, video, something, all I can do is take Jacob Weisberg's word at face value. I don't even know him. If anyone does find evidence of this, please bring it to this thread. I might reconsider.

    She forwarded Mr. Weisberg a draft amendment to the original agreement in which the parties were referred to by pseudonyms. Mr. Weisberg shared it with The Times.

    According to the draft, Ms. Clifford was referred to as “Peggy Peterson” and was represented by a lawyer named Keith Davidson. On the other end of the negotiations were other parties referred to as “David Dennison” and “David Delucia.” Ms. Clifford promised to send Mr. Weisberg the original paperwork. But shortly after the text message exchange, Ms. Clifford stopped responding. Mr. Weisberg said that his conversations with the actress were on the record but that he was not prepared to write the story without her consent.


    Fact or fake?

    I think I have seen enough. All I can do is go with my gut on this one. Too many pseudonyms, he said's, she said's. For every accusation I have read there is an equal denial. One source seems no more credible than the other. What do I think? I figure the whore actually did get paid off to keep her trap shut. But the word of a whore is no better than the word of a lawyer to me. Two lies don't make a truth no more than two truths make a lie.

    Until more hard evidence is presented, I look upon this as:

    FAKE NEWS
    Last edited by Captain America; 01-12-18 at 11:16 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #9
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    25,807
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Fake News Thread

    CNN on Friday corrected an erroneous report that Donald Trump Jr. had received advance notice from the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks about a trove of hacked documents that it planned to release during last year’s presidential campaign.

    In fact, the email to Mr. Trump was sent a day after the documents, stolen from the Democratic National Committee, were made available to the general public. The correction undercut the main thrust of CNN’s story, which had been seized on by critics of President Trump as evidence of coordination between WikiLeaks and the Trump campaign.

    It was also yet another prominent reporting error at a time when news organizations are confronting a skeptical public, and a president who delights in attacking the media as “fake news.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/b...-trump-jr.html
    CNN's story could be considered as fake news at the time it was broadcast / published, as it was factual that the email to Donald Trump Jr. from WikiLeaks "In fact, the email to Mr. Trump was sent a day after the documents . . . . were made available to the general public."

    However, it must also be said that CNN issued a correction, after the idea was already in the minds of the CNN viewers / readers, and the damage (objective) was already done.
    Friends of Billary Investigations [ the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigations (AKA the federal bureau of matters) ]
    “That’s why I told Washington Republicans to grow a pair of ovaries and get the job done,”, Martha McSally - Yeeesss!!

  10. #10
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,412

    Re: Fake News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    GREAT! Let's play....

    Here we go....

    A lawyer for President Trump orchestrated a $130,000 payment to a pornographic-film actress in October 2016 to prevent her from going public with claims of a consensual sexual encounter with Mr. Trump, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

    Did The Wall Street Journal, in fact, report this on Friday (today?) Fact or fake?

    FACT --->> https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-l...nce-1515787678

    Jacob Weisberg, editor-in-chief of the Slate Group, said on Friday that in a series of interviews with Ms. Clifford in August and October 2016, she told him she had an affair with Mr. Trump after meeting him at a 2006 celebrity golf tournament. She told him that Michael D. Cohen, a lawyer for Mr. Trump, had agreed during the presidential campaign to pay her the $130,000 if she kept the relationship secret, Mr. Weisberg said, adding that Ms. Clifford had told him she was tempted to go public because the lawyer was late in making the payment and she feared he might back out of their agreement. Fact or Fake?

    Undetermined: Until we have some sort of tangible evidence, recording, video, something, all I can do is take Jacob Weisberg's word at face value. I don't even know him. If anyone does find evidence of this, please bring it to this thread. I might reconsider.

    She forwarded Mr. Weisberg a draft amendment to the original agreement in which the parties were referred to by pseudonyms. Mr. Weisberg shared it with The Times.

    According to the draft, Ms. Clifford was referred to as “Peggy Peterson” and was represented by a lawyer named Keith Davidson. On the other end of the negotiations were other parties referred to as “David Dennison” and “David Delucia.” Ms. Clifford promised to send Mr. Weisberg the original paperwork. But shortly after the text message exchange, Ms. Clifford stopped responding. Mr. Weisberg said that his conversations with the actress were on the record but that he was not prepared to write the story without her consent.


    Fact or fake?

    I think I have seen enough. All I can do is go with my gut on this one. Too many pseudonyms, he said's, she said's. For every accusation I have read there is an equal denial. One source seems no more credible than the other. What do I think? I figure the whore actually did get paid off to keep her trap shut. But the word of a whore is no better than the word of a lawyer to me. Two lies don't make a truth no more than two truths make a lie.

    Until more hard evidence is presented, I look upon this as:

    FAKE NEWS
    Well, according to Steve Bannon, Trump has made deals like this with 100 women. Maybe she’s in that group?

    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •