Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

  1. #1
    Guru
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,944

    The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    This is great. Given how much everyone (including the GOP!) hates the GOP's awful replacement bill, they've invented this mythical series of undefined future unpassable bills that will mitigate the extreme damage they're proposing to do. Which Chait astutely notes is essentially a throwback to their original dumb repeal-and-delay strategy of destroying the health system and sometime down the road coming up with a great idea to fix the damage they cause.

    The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again
    The greatest advantage the Republican Party held, through eight years of political war over the provision of health care, was not having a plan to defend. After November’s elections handed them full control of government, Republicans designed a strategy to retain that advantage: repeal-and-delay, which would have allowed them to eliminate Obamacare without specifying the replacement. Repeal-and-delay failed, forcing them instead to pass a replacement plan. That plan has proven wildly unpopular. Indeed, it is so deeply unpopular that Republicans have given up defending the plan at all. Instead, they are back to promising an unspecified, future plan that will be revealed only after Obamacare has been gutted first.

    The most significant development to come out of the last week is that Republicans no longer defend the American Health Care Act. When confronted with the fact that his plan would make counties that supported him far worse off, Trump acknowledged, “Oh, I know.” Paul Ryan, appearing on Fox News Sunday, echoed Trump. “We do believe we need to add some additional assistance to people in those older cohorts,” he told Chris Wallace. “We believe we should have more assistance, and that’s what we are looking at.” Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price told CNN, “This is not the plan.”

    By “this,” Price meant the plan that the White House and Republican leadership had claimed as its plan. The real plan has “three prongs,” of which the bill is only the first. The other two involve a combination of regulatory moves that may or may not be legal and a package of legislative changes that stands a zero-percent chance of being passed into law. (They’re omitted from this bill because they cannot be included in a reconciliation bill, and thus are subject to a filibuster and require Democratic support, which will not be forthcoming.)
    Watching these idiots flail around trying to govern would be funny if the stakes weren't so high.

  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32,301

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This is great. Given how much everyone (including the GOP!) hates the GOP's awful replacement bill, they've invented this mythical series of undefined future unpassable bills that will mitigate the extreme damage they're proposing to do. Which Chait astutely notes is essentially a throwback to their original dumb repeal-and-delay strategy of destroying the health system and sometime down the road coming up with a great idea to fix the damage they cause.

    The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again


    Watching these idiots flail around trying to govern would be funny if the stakes weren't so high.
    Yep, once federal handouts are offered then many folks (including state governments) come to depend on them. You just can't keep the "good parts" of PPACA and eliminate that which funded them. It is strange that this basic fact did not occur to these sage policy wizards. The idea of a "private" lapse of coverage penalty to replace the insurance lapse tax penalty (the mandate to remain covered) is an extremely bad idea, as is the ignoring of most actuarial risk factors (now called pre-existing conditions).

    Having undefined future phases is much like having 5 and 10 year plans - the "good parts" come up front and the pay for part (just might possibly) come later. These clowns must now produce in writing the details of a magical insurance plan that covers everyone and is "affordable" to everyone - the Trump plan's "big picture" campaign promise that we were constantly told would be his first legislative priority.

    At least that puts all sorts of other big spending plans on hold - inculding the reduced federal taxation (for everyone?) miracle.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    08-21-17 @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This is great. Given how much everyone (including the GOP!) hates the GOP's awful replacement bill, they've invented this mythical series of undefined future unpassable bills that will mitigate the extreme damage they're proposing to do. Which Chait astutely notes is essentially a throwback to their original dumb repeal-and-delay strategy of destroying the health system and sometime down the road coming up with a great idea to fix the damage they cause.

    The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again


    Watching these idiots flail around trying to govern would be funny if the stakes weren't so high.
    Maybe the GOP can warm-up that wiretapping-thing again. This time have Trump find it in his hair. That might continue hiding his obvious reluctance to govern.
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,597

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This is great. Given how much everyone (including the GOP!) hates the GOP's awful replacement bill, they've invented this mythical series of undefined future unpassable bills that will mitigate the extreme damage they're proposing to do. Which Chait astutely notes is essentially a throwback to their original dumb repeal-and-delay strategy of destroying the health system and sometime down the road coming up with a great idea to fix the damage they cause.

    The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again


    Watching these idiots flail around trying to govern would be funny if the stakes weren't so high.
    Obamacare is much like a human life. The time to kill it was when it was in the womb. Now that it has been born, we are stuck with it. You cant cut an entitlement program let alone get rid of it. All the republicans can do is fiddle around the edges

  5. #5
    Advisor

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S/E georgia. If you miss my house ain't another for 5 miles.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    391

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yep, once federal handouts are offered then many folks (including state governments) come to depend on them. You just can't keep the "good parts" of PPACA and eliminate that which funded them. It is strange that this basic fact did not occur to these sage policy wizards. The idea of a "private" lapse of coverage penalty to replace the insurance lapse tax penalty (the mandate to remain covered) is an extremely bad idea, as is the ignoring of most actuarial risk factors (now called pre-existing conditions).

    Having undefined future phases is much like having 5 and 10 year plans - the "good parts" come up front and the pay for part (just might possibly) come later. These clowns must now produce in writing the details of a magical insurance plan that covers everyone and is "affordable" to everyone - the Trump plan's "big picture" campaign promise that we were constantly told would be his first legislative priority.

    At least that puts all sorts of other big spending plans on hold - inculding the reduced federal taxation (for everyone?) miracle.
    Tom Price's vision of health care insurance completely cuts all ties to employment. This means his vision would affect every American. With the possible exception of legislators. 70 or so percent of Americans get their insurance through employment. Personally, I can afford my insurance, and it is serving me and my family well. He wants to take that away and replace it with what? I have choices. It's affordable. I took my wife to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville 5 times last year. That is as good as it gets. Didn't pay it all, but paid enough. What is Price's plan going to do? We don't know. But it will be "patient focused", and "market driven" whatever the hell that drivel means. Show me something in writing. Oh wait, you don't have anything in writing other than drivel.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,313

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Maybe the GOP can warm-up that wiretapping-thing again. This time have Trump find it in his hair. That might continue hiding his obvious reluctance to govern.
    That was good. I needed a laugh. Thanks!
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32,301

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by trblmkr View Post
    Tom Price's vision of health care insurance completely cuts all ties to employment. This means his vision would affect every American. With the possible exception of legislators. 70 or so percent of Americans get their insurance through employment. Personally, I can afford my insurance, and it is serving me and my family well. He wants to take that away and replace it with what? I have choices. It's affordable. I took my wife to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville 5 times last year. That is as good as it gets. Didn't pay it all, but paid enough. What is Price's plan going to do? We don't know. But it will be "patient focused", and "market driven" whatever the hell that drivel means. Show me something in writing. Oh wait, you don't have anything in writing other than drivel.
    That is precisely my point - vague visions and spiffy (really great, amazing and fantastic?) campaign slogans mean nothing unless and until they can be articulated into public law. Promises of "coming soon in a future phase" are even more insulting to our intelligence.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32,301

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Obamacare is much like a human life. The time to kill it was when it was in the womb. Now that it has been born, we are stuck with it. You cant cut an entitlement program let alone get rid of it. All the republicans can do is fiddle around the edges
    Few would ever admit that but examples escape me of an eliminated federal entitlement.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #9
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,025

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Obamacare is much like a human life. The time to kill it was when it was in the womb. Now that it has been born, we are stuck with it. You cant cut an entitlement program let alone get rid of it. All the republicans can do is fiddle around the edges
    by "fiddle around the edges" you mean lie non stop for the last 8 years that they could come up with a better plan? And since you use the word "entitlement" I have to assume the subsidies in Obamacare and the republicans "plan" upset you. So did you prefer the original republican plan of "status quo" or single payer?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

  10. #10
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,597

    Re: The Republican Health-Care Plan Has Disappeared Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    by "fiddle around the edges" you mean lie non stop for the last 8 years that they could come up with a better plan? And since you use the word "entitlement" I have to assume the subsidies in Obamacare and the republicans "plan" upset you. So did you prefer the original republican plan of "status quo" or single payer?
    No, vern I don't think the federal government should have any role whatsoever in providing health insurance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •