Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

  1. #21
    feckless bon vivant
    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    08-18-18 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,011

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
    Weird! If i am sitting in a tent in the middle of the bush in the outback.( and i have been) And i see a spider. I take off my shoe and squash the bugger, end of story.
    You are missing the point, my friend.
    If you took off your shoe to smash this particular spider, this beast would likely snatch your shoe out of your hand and beat you with your own shoe.
    Sometimes a dignified retreat is the best option.
    By "dignified retreat" I mean, no screaming in terror.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  2. #22
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-14-18 @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,533

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    Oh, I know. But given that my fear response is triggered by spiders larger than tiny jumping spiders and daddy longlegs, this was more than enough. Which is ridiculous, because I'm 6'4", and not slight of build. Yet here we are.

    But, yeah, a trip to Australia is not in the books. Ever. Way too many things that can kill you there...or, at the very minimum, make you **** your pants.
    I remember one time my god-daughter saw a spider run into the middle of her bedroom and she started screaming for "PAPA!!!" I ran in and saw that it was just a spider. I looked at my girl and asked her who was bigger. She said that she was. So I told her "Squash that stupid little bug!" She stomped that poor spider until it was nothing more than spot. Now she's her Nana's official spider killer.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  3. #23
    feckless bon vivant
    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    08-18-18 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,011

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    I love the title of this article..."Why Are We Scared Of Spiders?........"
    I'll tell you why....it's because spiders are sneaky, hideous, blood-sucking, horrific monsters......and the hairy ones are the worst.
    Fortunately for me, the large hairy ones I've encountered were slow moving beasts.
    Did I mention hideous?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  4. #24
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,691

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood






  5. #25
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,621

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I remember one time my god-daughter saw a spider run into the middle of her bedroom and she started screaming for "PAPA!!!" I ran in and saw that it was just a spider. I looked at my girl and asked her who was bigger. She said that she was. So I told her "Squash that stupid little bug!" She stomped that poor spider until it was nothing more than spot. Now she's her Nana's official spider killer.
    lmao...one more time, I'm not saying it's rational. I had a bad experience as a kid, and I never got over it. I mean, I'm a lot better now...moving to the country and enjoying the outdoors, you see spiders. You own a house, you're living with spiders. A house in the country, and you've got big (by Ontario standards) spiders. See the link I put to dock spiders...they don't just stay on the dock, we had them in the last house we lived in, and I had to sort them out. But there's always that "oh ****" moment when I first see them, and then the time it takes to work myself up to do something about them, before I am able to do it. It's 100% ridiculous, but I've kind of accepted it. I can deal with the ones we have here, and I wouldn't live where they get bigger. lol
    Life's too short...

  6. #26
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,621

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    I love the title of this article..."Why Are We Scared Of Spiders?........"
    I'll tell you why....it's because spiders are sneaky, hideous, blood-sucking, horrific monsters......and the hairy ones are the worst.
    Fortunately for me, the large hairy ones I've encountered were slow moving beasts.
    Did I mention hideous?
    We are fully aligned, my friend!! lolz
    Life's too short...

  7. #27
    feckless bon vivant
    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    08-18-18 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,011

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post

    Yikes, nothing like a 50's sci-fi flick to feed my fear.
    Did you see "The Incredible Shrinking Man" ?.....ghastly battle with gigantic arachnid...the giant cat wasn't so good either.
    What about "The Fly"...where the half-man/half-fly is about to be eaten by the spider as he cries out for help......horrific scene.
    I've now decided that 1950's horror flicks are responsible for all my phobias.
    Thanks for the memories........I think.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  8. #28
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-14-18 @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,533

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    lmao...one more time, I'm not saying it's rational. I had a bad experience as a kid, and I never got over it. I mean, I'm a lot better now...moving to the country and enjoying the outdoors, you see spiders. You own a house, you're living with spiders. A house in the country, and you've got big (by Ontario standards) spiders. See the link I put to dock spiders...they don't just stay on the dock, we had them in the last house we lived in, and I had to sort them out. But there's always that "oh ****" moment when I first see them, and then the time it takes to work myself up to do something about them, before I am able to do it. It's 100% ridiculous, but I've kind of accepted it. I can deal with the ones we have here, and I wouldn't live where they get bigger. lol
    Just be glad you don't have those nasty Brown Recluse spiders. My wife got bit by one on the cheek last year and it was pretty nasty. The first day, it didn't look like much, but the next day she went to the Immediate Care Center and they wouldn't even treat her and sent her across the street to the ER where she was IMMEDIATELY admitted. The Dr. was waiting in the exam room with a nurse and a bag of massive antibiotics. It took about 3 weeks for it to get better and she spent 3 days on her back, taking the strongest oral antibiotics they make. Still has a small brown spot on her cheek that they say will be with her for the rest of her life.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  9. #29
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,621

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Just be glad you don't have those nasty Brown Recluse spiders. My wife got bit by one on the cheek last year and it was pretty nasty. The first day, it didn't look like much, but the next day she went to the Immediate Care Center and they wouldn't even treat her and sent her across the street to the ER where she was IMMEDIATELY admitted. The Dr. was waiting in the exam room with a nurse and a bag of massive antibiotics. It took about 3 weeks for it to get better and she spent 3 days on her back, taking the strongest oral antibiotics they make. Still has a small brown spot on her cheek that they say will be with her for the rest of her life.
    I would move. I would not pass Go, I would not collect $200, I would go directly to where those are not. lolz...

    Seriously, damn, man, that's awful. Glad she's ok, but what an ordeal!! I gotta ask, though, how did she get bit on the cheek?? Was she awake?
    Life's too short...

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    45,022

    Re: Massive, 6-inch hairy spider saved from mind-blowing Australian flood

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post




    I couldn't help but notice that the rescuer kept his distance.


    "Hes now president for life. President for life. And hes great. Trump added, I think its great. Maybe well give that a shot someday. -Trump speaking of Xi Jinping

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •