Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    You just made my point.

    The Air Force tried to kill the C-130 in the 1980s. Alas, it was built in Marietta, GA. Which happened to be Newt Gingrich's district.

    The C-130J has been in production for 24 years.
    Not sure how you think that makes your point.

    The US AF still buying new C130s as well as investing millions of dollars in new variants is not a real good indication that they are trying to kill the C130.

    And they were introduced in the AF in 99 which is relatively recent in terms of US airplanes in general and the C130 in particular.

    Do you have some evidence the AF tried to get rid of their C130s.

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    So yes, I think the US attacked itself and blames Iran for it just so they can start a conflict that fires up the oil prices again. It could have been an Iranian soldier or Iranian rebel that secretly works as a double-agent for the US which is how the US has started conflicts since 1940 by infiltrating countries armies.


  2. #22
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    67,126

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    You just made my point.

    The Air Force tried to kill the C-130 in the 1980s. Alas, it was built in Marietta, GA. Which happened to be Newt Gingrich's district.

    The C-130J has been in production for 24 years.
    The fact none of the proposed replacements have panned out might have something to do with it.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  3. #23
    Sage
    TomFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,086

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    Not sure how you think that makes your point.

    The US AF still buying new C130s as well as investing millions of dollars in new variants is not a real good indication that they are trying to kill the C130.

    And they were introduced in the AF in 99 which is relatively recent in terms of US airplanes in general and the C130 in particular.

    Do you have some evidence the AF tried to get rid of their C130s.
    CONGRESS INSISTS AIR FORCE BUY UNWANTED C-130S - Sun Sentinel

  4. #24
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    67,126

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Wow... 1998. That means the Air Force does not want them now... Right?

    2019 procurement

    https://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Portals/...-13-093541-153
    Last edited by Fledermaus; 05-21-20 at 08:09 PM.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  5. #25
    Educator
    avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    The C-130S was a specialty variant for recon work. I'm not sure that the Air Force not wanting to spend budget dollars on that version indicates that the C-130 was on the chopping block.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    I hate to tell you this but that link isnít proving what you think it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    So yes, I think the US attacked itself and blames Iran for it just so they can start a conflict that fires up the oil prices again. It could have been an Iranian soldier or Iranian rebel that secretly works as a double-agent for the US which is how the US has started conflicts since 1940 by infiltrating countries armies.


  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    The C-130S was a specialty variant for recon work. I'm not sure that the Air Force not wanting to spend budget dollars on that version indicates that the C-130 was on the chopping block.
    He is just grasping for straws because he got called on his incorrect claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    So yes, I think the US attacked itself and blames Iran for it just so they can start a conflict that fires up the oil prices again. It could have been an Iranian soldier or Iranian rebel that secretly works as a double-agent for the US which is how the US has started conflicts since 1940 by infiltrating countries armies.


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •