Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

  1. #11
    Guru
    dave8383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Boston Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,038

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by Questerr View Post
    They need to start deleting weapons. Especially weapons that aren't in service anymore. Swap the 40mm Bofors for a 30mm Bushmaster II (actually the Bushmaster III fitted with 50mm Supershot would be better) and the 105mm Howitzer for a breach loading 120mm mortar.

    Or delete the heavy ordinance all together for Griffin missiles.
    Above my paygrade. All I know is I liked it when they were around.

  2. #12
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,304

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    Having worked on a prior airborne laser project I hope they don't oversell the concept as ready to field. Airborne Laser was originally sold as a 7 aircraft concept but because the technology was so new and so difficult the science experiment was obsolete before the first aircraft was complete. After some successful test firings at reduced ranges the aircraft was mothballed and is currently one of those parts picked over dead birds in the graveyard.

    The ready to serve concept added a great deal of complexity and cost to what turned out to be a useful science project upon which to build for the future of laser weapons.
    Have you seen any of the new laser diodes? They are getting up there in ability. No jokes, they are you have to be extremely wary when working with them. Laser technology has come a long way and I can see it being put into vehicles and aircraft as a form of hard countermeasure and limited weapon.

    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #13
    Educator
    avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Have you seen any of the new laser diodes? They are getting up there in ability. No jokes, they are you have to be extremely wary when working with them. Laser technology has come a long way and I can see it being put into vehicles and aircraft as a form of hard countermeasure and limited weapon.

    They have been for many years. DIRCM is well past the research phase that and Airborne Laser demonstrated the concept of weapons in planes. Size and complexity issues are still involved however. It's a long step from burning a hole in your shirt to exploding the fuel tank of a moving truck.
    Last edited by avatar; 05-20-20 at 06:25 AM.

  4. #14
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,304

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    They have been for many years. DIRCM is well past the research phase that and Airborne Laser demonstrated the concept of weapons in planes. Size and complexity issues are still involved however. It's a long step from burning a hole in your shirt to exploding the fuel tank of a moving truck.
    They are getting electric conversion efficiency of 30-50% and that video was for a handheld continuous laser that was made from a repurposed laser projector array. I bet purpose built arrays would be useful now for small drone and missile counter measures.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #15
    Sage
    TomFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,086

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    Having worked on a prior airborne laser project I hope they don't oversell the concept as ready to field. Airborne Laser was originally sold as a 7 aircraft concept but because the technology was so new and so difficult the science experiment was obsolete before the first aircraft was complete. After some successful test firings at reduced ranges the aircraft was mothballed and is currently one of those parts picked over dead birds in the graveyard.

    The ready to serve concept added a great deal of complexity and cost to what turned out to be a useful science project upon which to build for the future of laser weapons.
    The real goal may be to keep the. C-130 alive.

  6. #16
    Educator
    avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    They are getting electric conversion efficiency of 30-50% and that video was for a handheld continuous laser that was made from a repurposed laser projector array. I bet purpose built arrays would be useful now for small drone and missile counter measures.
    Counter measures are considerably more advanced and complex than that. I cannot comment on the state of the industry more than that.

  7. #17
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,304

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by avatar View Post
    Counter measures are considerably more advanced and complex than that. I cannot comment on the state of the industry more than that.
    I know. I build the reasons for counter measures.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    The real goal may be to keep the. C-130 alive.
    There is no need to create a separate program to keep the C130 alive. The C130 is not going anywhere anytime soon. And for good reason.

    Hell they have fairly recently just came out with a whole new model the C130J. Of which they are are still building them to fulfill the USAF order.

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    So yes, I think the US attacked itself and blames Iran for it just so they can start a conflict that fires up the oil prices again. It could have been an Iranian soldier or Iranian rebel that secretly works as a double-agent for the US which is how the US has started conflicts since 1940 by infiltrating countries armies.


  9. #19
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,304

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    There is no need to create a separate program to keep the C130 alive. The C130 is not going anywhere anytime soon. And for good reason.

    Hell they have fairly recently just came out with a whole new model the C130J. Of which they are are still building them to fulfill the USAF order.
    In uncontested airspace those things are just plain evil.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #20
    Sage
    TomFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,086

    Re: AFSOC to finally mount a laser weapon on an AC-130 gunship

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    There is no need to create a separate program to keep the C130 alive. The C130 is not going anywhere anytime soon. And for good reason.

    Hell they have fairly recently just came out with a whole new model the C130J. Of which they are are still building them to fulfill the USAF order.
    You just made my point.

    The Air Force tried to kill the C-130 in the 1980s. Alas, it was built in Marietta, GA. Which happened to be Newt Gingrich's district.

    The C-130J has been in production for 24 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •