Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 232

Thread: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

  1. #191
    Sage
    Tangmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seaview Tower 5 Condo 2602
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    To be honest, I doubt his entire story.

    Since he says he was an Infantry Officer (11A), and was in a Ceremonial unit in Washington DC, that has to mean the 3rd US Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard). Specifically the 1st battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment.

    Now I have to wonder how often that unit accepts "green" 2nd Lieutenants as part of their unit. At least in anything other than an administrative role, I am sure that for supply or admin it would not matter, but it would matter a lot for the ceremonial units (11X Infantry).

    <<USMC only stuff snipped due to word count total>>

    I really have to question a brand new 2nd Lieutenant going to such a unit, and having to lead such ceremonies with almost no awards other than the Army Service Ribbon. This unit for the ceremonial units does not get "assigned" individuals, they have to either apply or get selected by one of their recruiting teams. They are selected from Soldiers in actual Infantry units, and the same is done with Officers.

    In fact, in looking at the application for officers, it appears that the only way you can get in (as an Infantry Officer) is to apply while you are in an Infantry unit. It includes things like "Signature of the first O6 in your chain of command" and "Last three Officer Evaluation Reports", as well as letters of recommendation from your senior rater.

    In my over 6 years in such postings, I never once saw a Boot Louie assigned to a position where they would be in command of Marines. Unless they are in a technical MOS they are always sent to a regular unit for "seasoning" before being assigned to such posts. Otherwise, if they stayed in and rotated to their next duty station as a senior 1st Lieutenant they would have no idea how to actually accomplish the duties they were supposed to be expert in.

    I know it was hard enough going to the Fleet as a Corporal after over 3 years in such a posting. I can not imagine the military doing that to an Officer.

    And when you are in such a posting, everybody should know that it is a special unit, and not the "regular military". In general such postings are thrown out as a "bone" to the Infantry who often spend years doing some of the hardest duties, as a way to have a work schedule that is closer to that of a "real job", and allow them to recover from the rigors of that job field. Before they were all closed down, the Marine Barracks were commonly seen at least once or twice by most who had done more than 10 years in the Corps (unless instead they went to other postings like Recruiting, Drill Field, Sea Duty, I&I Duty, or Embassy Duty). Do 4-6 years in a Fleet unit, then 2-4 years in a "B Billet", then back to the Fleet again.

    It was very rare in the 1980's to see a Marine Infantry Staff Sergeant or above who had not done at least 1 of those duties in their career. In fact, in 1 case I knew a Gunnery Sergeant who had only spent 3 years in "The Fleet". He started at Marine Barracks Guam, then went to the Fleet. Then to Embassy Duty, Recruiting, and the Drill Field. He was in his sunset tour when I met him in 1996 as part of the Inspector Instructor staff at a Reserve unit in LA. I myself spent only 4 years in the Fleet, spending over 6 years in 2 different Marine Barracks.

    So yea, I do not believe his story because it does not make sense.
    My honorable active duty service was from 1966 to 1970.

    I went from graduating university Rotc and commissioning as a 2LT of Infantry and directly to the 3rd Infantry Regiment, Ft. Myer Va. I was assigned command of 3rd platoon (firing party), company E Echo (Honor Guard Company), 1st Btn (Reinf), The Old Guard. Colonel commanding was Joseph B. Conmy Jr. who was born while his Army captain father was in the 3rd Inf Rgt as company commander of D Delta Company, 1st Btn. The Conmys are a legend in the Old Guard that is true and respected. Colonel Joe is Honorary Old Guard Commander, as designated by Department of the Army, forever. The only one.

    Army officer promotions were a joke to Army officers themselves back then. Promotions of Army officers was rigid, tight, precise. Then as now, Rotc officers had a four year obligation, West Point officers had a five year commitment. After one year a 2LT was promoted to 1 LT. After one year a 1Lt was promoted to captain. You were a captain for the next two years (Rotc officer) or the next three years (West Point officer). It was clockwork. As I'd said officers in the Army make jokes about it, my personal favorite was that the only way you could avoid promotion was to go Awol (which none of us did of course, as it is a joke ha).

    Your post from over there on the enlisted nco retired right wing does not square with my experience for myriad reasons, the time difference being the major and principal one. What you do say is pretty much true -- in the present. Only. Not back then.
    All Enemies Foreign and Domestic

  2. #192
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    47,552

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    My honorable active duty service was from 1966 to 1970.

    I went from graduating university Rotc and commissioning as a 2LT of Infantry and directly to the 3rd Infantry Regiment, Ft. Myer Va. I was assigned command of 3rd platoon (firing party), company E Echo (Honor Guard Company), 1st Btn (Reinf), The Old Guard. Colonel commanding was Joseph B. Conmy Jr. who was born while his Army captain father was in the 3rd Inf Rgt as company commander of D Delta Company, 1st Btn. The Conmys are a legend in the Old Guard that is true and respected. Colonel Joe is Honorary Old Guard Commander, as designated by Department of the Army, forever. The only one.

    Army officer promotions were a joke to Army officers themselves back then. Promotions of Army officers was rigid, tight, precise. Then as now, Rotc officers had a four year obligation, West Point officers had a five year commitment. After one year a 2LT was promoted to 1 LT. After one year a 1Lt was promoted to captain. You were a captain for the next two years (Rotc officer) or the next three years (West Point officer). It was clockwork. As I'd said officers in the Army make jokes about it, my personal favorite was that the only way you could avoid promotion was to go Awol (which none of us did of course, as it is a joke ha).

    Your post from over there on the enlisted nco retired right wing does not square with my experience for myriad reasons, the time difference being the major and principal one. What you do say is pretty much true -- in the present. Only. Not back then.
    Cool story.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  3. #193
    Sage
    Tangmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seaview Tower 5 Condo 2602
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    People who have strings they can pull are liable to end up anywhere. I wouldn't discount that possibility.

    Either way, though, the way I figure it, none of this means a damn thing. Everybody knows for themselves what's true and what is not. The only reason for anyone to come out and beat their chests is if they feel like they've got something to prove.

    The only reason they charge out and accuse and deny is that they are career lifer nco retired rightwingers who can't compete and who can't dominate discussions of things military and veterans. Neither can the rightwinger nco retired have their continued absolute control over matters military and veterans alike.

    The longer this is the case the more restless the retired nco rightwingers become. Outclassed is what they are, the retired nco lifer rightwinger veterans. That's it in a nutshell. This is yet another year of it for 'em. With the crunch time of a potus election having begun already. So the rightwing nco retired lifers are trying to stage a surge to run out the competition. Reclaim their old and lost ground. It's a fail of course, as it has been a fail over the past several years here, and as it will be a fail always.
    Last edited by Tangmo; 03-15-19 at 07:01 PM.
    All Enemies Foreign and Domestic

  4. #194
    Professor
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,926

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    The only reason they charge out and accuse and deny is that they are career lifer nco retired rightwingers who can't compete and who can't dominate discussions of things military and veterans. Neither can the rightwinger nco retired have their continued absolute control over matters military and veterans alike.

    The longer this is the case the more restless the retired nco rightwingers become. Outclassed is what they are, the retired nco lifer rightwinger veterans. That's it in a nutshell. This is yet another year of it for 'em. With the crunch time of a potus election having begun already. So the rightwing nco retired lifers are trying to stage a surge to run out the competition. Reclaim their old and lost ground. It's a fail of course, as it has been a fail over the past several years here, and as it will be a fail always.
    Give it a break, Tangmo.... all that really matters in a debate is one's ability to hold up their particular side of the argument. Experience only matters in that gives an individual insight and wisdom which they can then use to bolster their point of view. But at the end of the day - in a debate forum, anyway - it's only the insight that matters, not the experience itself - that's just a means to the end.
    "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." --- Lao Tzu

  5. #195
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,185
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat





    This on the heels of a call by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson to confront Russia and China with more "muscular" responses. No US commanders are liking what they see regarding threats from a resurgent Russian military.
    I'm glad that they are watching China. I suspect a far more dangerous opponent than Russia, given the size and strength of the economy they already have.
    Covington Catholic, BuzzFeed Cohen story,
    Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story
    Don't believe the lying leftist 'news' (political propaganda) media! #JournalismIsDead

  6. #196
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    47,552

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    The only reason they charge out and accuse and deny is that they are career lifer nco retired rightwingers who can't compete and who can't dominate discussions of things military and veterans.
    Can't compete with what? Outside of your copy and paste threads with giant picture/video padding you say vary little that is factual or logical. Veterans from all walks have taken you to task for your ignorance and you lies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    Neither can the rightwinger nco retired have their continued absolute control over matters military and veterans alike.
    WTF are you talking about? This coming from someone who demanded others on this board call him sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    The longer this is the case the more restless the retired nco rightwingers become. Outclassed is what they are, the retired nco lifer rightwinger veterans. That's it in a nutshell. This is yet another year of it for 'em. With the crunch time of a potus election having begun already. So the rightwing nco retired lifers are trying to stage a surge to run out the competition. Reclaim their old and lost ground. It's a fail of course, as it has been a fail over the past several years here, and as it will be a fail always.
    Tangmobabble....

    Tangmo, why do you continue to disparage practically all veterans on this board?
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  7. #197
    Sage
    Tangmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seaview Tower 5 Condo 2602
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    Give it a break, Tangmo.... all that really matters in a debate is one's ability to hold up their particular side of the argument. Experience only matters in that gives an individual insight and wisdom which they can then use to bolster their point of view. But at the end of the day - in a debate forum, anyway - it's only the insight that matters, not the experience itself - that's just a means to the end.
    Give it a rest junior because you're not superior to anyone here. Your posts are the evidence and the proof, conclusively. You're pedestrian in fact.
    All Enemies Foreign and Domestic

  8. #198
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    47,552

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    Give it a rest junior because you're not superior to anyone here. Your posts are the evidence and the proof, conclusively. You're pedestrian in fact.
    And Tangmo attacks another poster on DP.

    See Tangmo attack.
    Attack Tangmo attack.

    A wannabe warrior in all his glory.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  9. #199
    Professor
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,926

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    Give it a rest junior because you're not superior to anyone here. Your posts are the evidence and the proof, conclusively. You're pedestrian in fact.
    *LOL* I've been called worse things by better people.
    "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." --- Lao Tzu

  10. #200
    Sage
    Tangmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seaview Tower 5 Condo 2602
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    *LOL* I've been called worse things by better people.
    Better than no one if they called you worse.

    Restraint is in order even if it is one of your down your nose posts.

    Did I mention Putin never played chess against anyone he couldn't put in jail? I did, yes, now that I think of it. This one is just another reminder to you.
    All Enemies Foreign and Domestic

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •