Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Russia's Zapad 2017

  1. #1
    Light from Darkness


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,637

    Russia's Zapad 2017

    What You Need to Know About Russia’s Big Wargame on NATO’s Doorstep


    Here’s what NATO and the region is watching for this year — and why.....

    By Ben Watson
    September 11, 2017

    For weeks, Russia and Belarus have been preparing for Zapad 2017. Zapad is Moscow’s recurring Cold War-era wargame designed to show the world Russia can outmatch NATO. Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs calls the drills “exceptionally defensive” in nature. Zapad involves fictional battles played out across western Russia, Belarus and Kaliningrad. “So not far from many NATO members on the eastern flank, like Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Poland,” said Lauren Speranza, associate director of the Transatlantic Security Initiative at the Atlantic Council in Washington. ”It could be the largest exercise since the end of the Cold War.”


    Moscow claims that only 17,500 Russian/Belarusian troops will participate in the joint Zapad (West) 2017 military exercise. However, certain logistic facts say otherwise. Russia has prepared 10,000 railroad carriages for the exercise which suggests a total force of ~100,000 troops. Naturally the neighbors - Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia are nervous and rightfully so. Even president Lukashenko of Belarus is nervous. Zapad 2017 could be one giant Kremlin Trojan Horse and Moscow has been unhappy with Lukashenko ... for initiating closer relations with the EU and denying Moscow permission to construct a Russian air base on Belarus soil.


    Related: Viejšnoryja — The Land of Free Belarusians

    A Giant Russian Exercise Will Soon Put 100,000 Troops on NATO’s Border. Then What?

    Russia Has 100K Troops On the Move. Here’s Why NATO Can’t Do the Same

    Russia’s Zapad-17 Has Already Succeeded


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  2. #2
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,182

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    So what?

    We hold games every year that they watch, they hold games every year that we watch. Who cares?

    I for one am damned tired of spilling American blood for Atropian oil.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  3. #3
    Light from Darkness


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,637

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    So what?

    We hold games every year that they watch, they hold games every year that we watch. Who cares?

    I for one am damned tired of spilling American blood for Atropian oil.
    Neither me nor anyone else on this page asked for American blood to be shed for anything.

    It was a newsworthy event for the sheer size and scope. Russia's largest military exercise since WWII.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  4. #4
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,586

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    NATO is watching this because it helps their fear-mongering propaganda mission. That justifies their bureaucratic existence.

  5. #5
    Light from Darkness


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,637

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    At least 100,000 Russian troops are participating in the Zapad 17 military exercise in Belarus, Kaliningrad, and western Russia fronting Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland.

    Moscow and NATO have a treaty that says if a military exercise encompasses more than 13,000 troops, then advisers from the other side must be allowed to closely observe.

    Here, the Kremlin says that although 100,000 troops in-toto may be involved, there are only 13,000 soldiers involved in many 'mini-exercises' ... so NATO officers are not allowed to observe the gigantic Zapad 17 exercise.

    It is deceptions and lies like this that have contributed to turning the West against the expansionist Putin regime.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  6. #6
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,683
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    NATO is watching this because it helps their fear-mongering propaganda mission. That justifies their bureaucratic existence.
    Hard to believe anything COULD justify their existence. When the rubber meets the road, all too often they're off in the weeds stumbling around.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #7
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,586

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    At least 100,000 Russian troops are participating in the Zapad 17 military exercise in Belarus, Kaliningrad, and western Russia fronting Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland.

    Moscow and NATO have a treaty that says if a military exercise encompasses more than 13,000 troops, then advisers from the other side must be allowed to closely observe.

    Here, the Kremlin says that although 100,000 troops in-toto may be involved, there are only 13,000 soldiers involved in many 'mini-exercises' ... so NATO officers are not allowed to observe the gigantic Zapad 17 exercise.

    It is deceptions and lies like this that have contributed to turning the West against the expansionist Putin regime.
    It's always sad to have to watch grown men cry....

  8. #8
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,574
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    So what?

    We hold games every year that they watch, they hold games every year that we watch. Who cares?
    These exercises are routine and to be expected for sure, but they should still be watched carefully to determine what changes, if any, have been made in Russian military doctrine and strategy. Zapad itself has a history of being rather informative, especially the one in 2009.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #9
    Light from Darkness


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,637

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    It's always sad to have to watch grown men cry....
    It's sadder yet to watch grown men always jump headfirst into CT....


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  10. #10
    Light from Darkness


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,637

    Re: Russia's Zapad 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    These exercises are routine and to be expected for sure, but they should still be watched carefully to determine what changes, if any, have been made in Russian military doctrine and strategy. Zapad itself has a history of being rather informative, especially the one in 2009.
    The Russians seem to have improved some upon logistics and coordinated movements. They still favor heavy artillery/GRAD saturation. Ukraine teaches us that they are excellent in cyber disruption, SIGINT, and jamming. I'm sure NATO will monitor/analyze Zapad 17 very intently.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •